Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493670 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #13306 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:09 am »

I'm having a lot of trouble guessing about how to handle stats in the mechanics redesign. Strength, for instance, is annoying because the number has no basis on reality depending on the body you're in. And you can still get stronger even without altering the body.

A lot of it I almost feel like just saying "Fuck it" and rolling d6 without bonuses where I think it makes sense. Ie Miya doesn't have to roll for picking up the couch and hucking it across the Rec room, but a human would definitely need a roll and would probably fail to do anything more then maybe pick up one side and flip it. With the way we change our bodies I can't think of a good way to handle it.

hmm

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: February 26, 2015, 12:22:38 am »

I'd also like to point out that a couch is a bad basis for how strong someone is. If I wanted to I could definitely chuck a normal couch. A pullout couch is a different matter though due to all the metal and stuff.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:01 am »

I don't see a big problem with doing a quick reality check before non-stressful rolls and just giving it to people if their stats are high.  Like your couch example, or someone in an exoskeleton breaking down a wood civilian door, or someone with 15 dex not rolling to climb a wall with rough handholds.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:14 am »

But see it could be wierd, especially for Xan since when/if he shapeshifts into a hulking 3-ton berserker lizardman or something you'd think he'd have a high strength value, but he has 0 at the moment.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: February 26, 2015, 12:37:14 am »

Have a maximum stength stat amount for unaltered humans/unaltered robodies? And have a six be kinda like a burst of adrenaline/overcharge synthetic muscles, a one could be like your hands slip/you punch yourself in the face, using strength as an example
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: February 26, 2015, 12:45:05 am »

Please remove speech and charisma, as they don't affect the game at all and everyone uses them as a dump stat. There is no point as all interaction is controlled by roleplaying.

Imagine high strength characters with enormous bulging biceps. STRONG. HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!! That is how the strength stat should work.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: February 26, 2015, 01:24:43 am »

I'm having a lot of trouble guessing about how to handle stats in the mechanics redesign. Strength, for instance, is annoying because the number has no basis on reality depending on the body you're in. And you can still get stronger even without altering the body.

A lot of it I almost feel like just saying "Fuck it" and rolling d6 without bonuses where I think it makes sense. Ie Miya doesn't have to roll for picking up the couch and hucking it across the Rec room, but a human would definitely need a roll and would probably fail to do anything more then maybe pick up one side and flip it. With the way we change our bodies I can't think of a good way to handle it.

hmm
Maybe just cap certain stats at +1 in terms of stat bonus, with additional bonusses having to come from equipment or a new body? It would represent knowing how to use your strength/dex/whatever, but that still only gets you so far.

Please remove speech and charisma, as they don't affect the game at all and everyone uses them as a dump stat. There is no point as all interaction is controlled by roleplaying.

Imagine high strength characters with enormous bulging biceps. STRONG. HUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!! That is how the strength stat should work.

Maybe just replace both with a single skill, and then roll for that skill more often, even when people type out their rp (maybe typing it out and making sense gives a bonus, but isn't guaranteed to convince).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:28:15 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: February 26, 2015, 01:35:09 am »

Maybe just replace both with a single skill, and then roll for that skill more often, even when people type out their rp (maybe typing it out and making sense gives a bonus, but isn't guaranteed to convince).
Does that mean Charles will have 30 points in that skill then? :D
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: February 26, 2015, 03:19:20 am »

The Strength stat determines not the actual strength, but the ability to control said strength, and apply exactly the required amounts of it. You can have the "strongness" be determined by the actual physical condition of the character, separate from the stat. That way you can have illogical things like switching to a robot or synthflesh body lowering your strength - your body is stronger, but you don't know how to control that strength. The loss of stats on death can be explained by this as well.

Dexterity is the same way. Your body's dexterity is a fixed parameter - it's determined by your body mass versus your strength. Knowing how to use your strength to get your body mass to move with the speed and precision you need to, is what the dexterity stat can be about.

Then you could have things like Battlesuits and exosuits affect these stats as well - unless you wear them constantly for long periods of time, your strength and dexterity while in them is reduced. Battlesuit and exosuit/exoskeleton control could be a separate "skill" thing, and at default levels anytime you're in a power assist device of some kind, your physical stats are back at zero, or whatever the starting number will be.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:24:21 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: February 26, 2015, 04:22:32 am »

I love how you want to remove speech and charisma as dump stats and replace them with strength as a dump stat.

If strength determines physical ability then noone is going to put any points into it because exoskeletons can lift more than any non genemodded person and override your contextual strength anyway.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:43 am »

But what if your natural strength stat limits the strength stat bonus you can have while in exoskeleton or exosuit?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: February 26, 2015, 05:18:15 am »

Doesnt work that way.

Exosuits have higher contextual strength, doesnt matter if you have 30 strength you still cant lift a car, exosuits can.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: February 26, 2015, 05:34:40 am »

Doesnt work that way.

Exosuits have higher contextual strength, doesnt matter if you have 30 strength you still cant lift a car, exosuits can.
Yes. But compared to a user with strength 0, a user with strength 30 is more likely to lift a car with his exosuit, as opposed to flip it over on some teammates, himself, or an orphanage across the street. Fling, in the latter case. My suggestion explicitly decoupled contextual strength from the strength stat.

The Strength stat determines not the actual strength, but the ability to control said strength, and apply exactly the required amounts of it. You can have the "strongness" be determined by the actual physical condition of the character, separate from the stat. That way you can have illogical things like switching to a robot or synthflesh body lowering your strength - your body is stronger, but you don't know how to control that strength. The loss of stats on death can be explained by this as well.

Dexterity is the same way. Your body's dexterity is a fixed parameter - it's determined by your body mass versus your strength. Knowing how to use your strength to get your body mass to move with the speed and precision you need to, is what the dexterity stat can be about.

Then you could have things like Battlesuits and exosuits affect these stats as well - unless you wear them constantly for long periods of time, your strength and dexterity while in them is reduced. Battlesuit and exosuit/exoskeleton control could be a separate "skill" thing, and at default levels anytime you're in a power assist device of some kind, your physical stats are back at zero, or whatever the starting number will be.

Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 2205