Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2490073 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11295 on: November 21, 2014, 08:24:20 am »

I agree with Devestator's statement, although I think it got lost in the sea of other posts.

A lot of people with really high tier stuff have a weird form of plot armor surrounding them.  Endurance rolls are modified by equipement like Mk.III exoskeletons... but those rolls are used for all damage rolls, not just physical 'how tired/tough is your body' stuff.  This means that when someone who's a newb gets caught in a burst of shrapnel, if they roll a one they catch a high velocity pebble in the forehead.  In contrast, if, say, Feyri got caught in that burst and rolled a one, it would be modified to a three at minimum.  She'd catch the pebble in the shin, and it would have less effect because she's synthflesh.  As Dev said, it's double counting a bonus.

This is even worse since armor is apparently also counted; Remember when the BEEEESS guy (Dubley?) got lasered and shot by lots of people?  PW said his longcoat had actually modified his endurance roll, keeping him from being shot in the head.  Presumably, even after that, his armor absorbed a lot of the damage that hit his torso, so it was double counted (Not to mention the fact that it effectively protected his head).

Honestly, I'd prefer it if armor didn't magically change the path of bullets/lasers, and was just a realistic reduction of damage.  It would also increase the lethality for high-level people, which isn't a bad thing IMO.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Kind of misses the point of having armor for separate body parts in the first place, doesn't it?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11296 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:45 am »

HEY PIECEWISE!

is it possible to re-murder that skeleton and stick its skull in the pill machine?

Be sure to stick a piece of Grate in there too.  And Xan, while you're at it.

There you go- Xan pills!  There's an idea with totally no danger behind it!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11297 on: November 21, 2014, 09:50:29 am »

HEY PIECEWISE!

is it possible to re-murder that skeleton and stick its skull in the pill machine?

Be sure to stick a piece of Grate in there too.  And Xan, while you're at it.

There you go- Xan pills!  There's an idea with totally no danger behind it!

See, and then people are wondering why we keep that thing locked up. You're all criminally insane!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11298 on: November 21, 2014, 10:02:37 am »

See, and then people are wondering why we keep that thing locked up. You're all criminally insane!

I thought that was the point of this game?
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11299 on: November 21, 2014, 10:13:48 am »

I think the background for Brother Lars clearly demonstrates that fact.

Oh shit!  BRILLIANT IDEA ALERT!

A new on-ship game... SCAVENGER HUNT!  Bring in a piece of Doctor or AM DNA to make a pill based on them!  Fun and prizes to be had by all!  See if you can track down Ivan to get a piece of him!  Get a piece of Steve!

Hell, I know where a piece of Steve('s avatar) is...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11300 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:36 am »

A piece of synthflesh for pill machine? Sure, go for it. Oh and do you hear that sound? Like flashing screaming, sobbing apology "I'm so sorry!"?
Sounds like Gratexplosion.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11301 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:44 am »

I'm gonna browse the wiki at one point and cheat, but my initial guesses would be Chem-Off, Battlesuit plate, the stuff they make civic longcoats out of, the stuff they make AoW cloaks out of-
Mk suit material maybe.

A lot of good options, but most are rather expensive. Mk suit material is what I had in mind. We've seen it is ridiculously resistant to temperature, and quite good at keeping out radiation to boot. And it's lightweight. And cheap! Mk.I suits are free, so you can just get a bunch of those, cut them up and use the resistant material to coat all of your bioconstruct minions in. You can throw away the rest, and just get a few sheets of the stuff (or maybe ask Steve for a big pile of it, whatever). Just as an additional subdermal layer, so that it doesn't hinder anything, and boom: instant weakness negation. For cheap, and you can then save the biomass you'd otherwise need.

But, how to adapt that for yourself, for when you don't wanna be bound to a single form? seeing as how the Mk suit stuff doesn't seem stretchy enough. Well, why not just cut it up into smaller sheets of it, add a small cell layer under each one that adheres to it through its ECM, and then use that mass of smaller sheets to give yourself a resistant outer/subdermal anti flame layer. And when a new form is needed, the smaller sheets can rearrange themselves to accommodate.

PW, would this work? As in, would it be effective, and would you allow it?

I think the background for Brother Lars clearly demonstrates that fact.

Oh shit!  BRILLIANT IDEA ALERT!

A new on-ship game... SCAVENGER HUNT!  Bring in a piece of Doctor or AM DNA to make a pill based on them!  Fun and prizes to be had by all!  See if you can track down Ivan to get a piece of him!  Get a piece of Steve!

Hell, I know where a piece of Steve('s avatar) is...

"You want a piece of this, huh, ya freaks? Well YOU AIN'T GETTIN' ANY!"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:32:57 am by Radio Controlled »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11302 on: November 21, 2014, 10:53:55 am »

Excellent point!  A piece of Avatar for a prize too!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:30 am »

Oooh! Oooh!
What would happen if Xan was fed an Avatar-sample pill?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11304 on: November 21, 2014, 10:59:14 am »

Oooh! Oooh!
What would happen if Xan was fed an Avatar-sample pill?

Imagine a blender the size of Neptune visiting earth to make a smoothie out of it.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: November 21, 2014, 02:50:22 pm »

Huh, you were here for all of like 10 minutes before being nakedly horizontally piledrived into a wall and almost killed.

About normal.
And then chest raped by a surgical spider robot that may or may not end up stitching my mouth and eyes shut.
I'm really getting the full tour here.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: November 21, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »

At least your rifle doesn't apear to be anti-semitic.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: November 21, 2014, 04:07:07 pm »

At least your rifle doesn't apear to be anti-semitic.
That only comes in the Deluxe Tour package.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11308 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:31 pm »

So basically: roll for 'location of hit' first, without including END bonuses (meaning they can't turn headshots into arm shots anymore), then after that roll and determine damage done to the offending part. Something like this?

That would help, but it wouldn't cure the problem alone, I don't think.  Either you don't roll endurance at all, which would utterly devalue the stat and make it worse than charisma, or you roll endurance with the bonus from the armor, which would mean a longcoat can still protect your head to an extent.  What you would have to do is remove the passive end bonuses that equipment gives.  An exoskeleton really shouldn't help you survive a bullet to the face at all.

You know what's great?

There are five limbs and a torso.

And six sides on an RTD die.

And you can divvy up the torso into six nice, easy locations: left/right chest, left/right abdomen, center mass (6?), and groin (1?)!

Doesn't work well.  For one, it doesn't allow the enemy's skill to affect where they hit, and for two, you're just as likely to get a headshot as a torso shot.  Having a larger die with different chances to hit particular things would fix the latter, but not the former.

Guys, genemodding is the best thing and I'm surprised people haven't really cracked that open.

So many robots and synthflesh, yet I can only really count Xan, Grate (sort of), and the late Cecil McPunchesThings as anyone who's ever genemodded.

First, genemodding isn't better than robotics.  Free robobodies feel no pain, never tire, have a better protected head, have programmable bodies, and can text at the speed of thought.  Second, your genemod was only free because the Doctor gave it to you, and he gives robotic upgrades too.  I bet Thrak would have minced Cecil easily.

Third, there's been plenty of gene modded people.  Bishop is a guy who got himself to the point that he's slightly better than a basic robobody, at the cost of over twenty tokens.  There was a Doctor-made zeusfishman who PW basically called an idiot.  There was medkit Faith, catgirl Lyra, the human spaceship, and... May.  All genemods.

This is Roll to Dodge, so why not have the roll to dodge (i.e. dex) determine where the hit lands, combined with any roll of the attacker, and the End roll determine how bad the damage is?

Perhaps most effectively though, Endurance could degrade with consecutive hits taken. A temporary penalty shouldn't be too hard to keep track of.

Might turn this into too much of a traditional RPG though.

That would work, and I think it's already pretty much in effect.  It doesn't solve the problem though, because you shouldn't be able to dodge bullets unless you're Renen, and should never be able to dodge an attack that you aren't aware of.

I think degrading stats would just add more stuff to keep track of, and wouldn't really solve anything.  Sure, tougher people would be easier to kill, but they still would get a few free headshot avoidances.

For the xanbrain to direct the shapeshifting? Uh.
I'm gonna have to think about this, honestly. Maybe cheaper because then shapeshifting would be more cumbersome, but have less limitations.
Probably gonna do more custom orders than anything standardized just so I don't have to think up an item list :P
But yeah that'd be possible too.

Didn't I already ask you for this exact thing?  A Xanbody built around a robobody braincase, which takes shapeshifting orders from the braincase?

because that totally isnt something im planning to do...

not the slightlest chance...

at all...

probably...

Your persistent belief that you will ever touch the pill machine again is both amusing and amazing.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11309 on: November 21, 2014, 04:33:03 pm »

I feel like I should start posting here again. If I can spare the time, that is.

Anyone mind filling me in on what happened since I last posted here?
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 2205