Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486652 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #10530 on: October 29, 2014, 06:38:23 pm »

Ah, weep not, Radio. I'm going to do interesting stuff with my powers eventually, but for now I wanna take it slowly because if I don't I just uncontrollably waste biomass. Plus I gotta maintain cover now that some people on ship will try to kill me because they witnessed STAN.

Have you tried just sticking your mouth under a mess hall nozzle and NOM NOM NOMing until you couldn't any more?  I'm sure PW would stop it at some point for balance purposes (unless you threw an extreme roll and he made you too fat to move for laughs) but it'd be at least some biomass.  Mesk just brings a lunchbox with him on missions for that same general purpose.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: October 29, 2014, 06:51:00 pm »

How about, if this is bugging you so much, you inform us Heph people what we should be working on instead of what we are.  By all means, I'd be happy to hear your suggestions.
Uh, so, dear Hephaestus crew, would you mind the earlier-suggested page/section for crowd suggestions? Like the Player Market, only with projects/proposals.
I asked about it earlier, but only RC of all the semi-Hephaestians answered it.

Also, just one suggestion (or a question I can think of off the bat): why haven't you started expanding?
And yes, while there's been several new fleshpits and organic forges (I think) built, and other projects are under construction, it still doesn't feel like the crazy exponential growth that is possible, and quite often leading to military victory we are seeking, in this sort-of sci-fi/4x environment. I mean, how much time Hephaestus-years passed? No less than a full mission has passed, and a new one started; it might be scores of years now. With effort, we might have tripled the population at the very least, and possibly increased tenfold (or more), nothing to say of production capabilities. Nearest planets might have been started to be colonised. We might have started carving a few new forge-world-Hephaesti.
And while I understand that troops need to be produced, and so on, to defend from early strike (never mind the Defense itself), by doing so we are giving up on much greater industrial potential later in war. It might cost us the victory in the war with the UWM. And that is before we factor in the disappearance of the outer rim colonies and all the shitstorm gathering.

Well, that, or once again warp-time (like with year-mission) is in effect and the things I am talking about, despite theoretically fitting the time frame, are beyond our grasp. Sure, then there is nothing to worry about, this is but a curious game about dying horribly in alien hellzones and discovering bizarre xeno can openers.

P.S.:Sorry for the ramble.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:56:00 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: October 29, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »

@syvarris
How am i pompous? Sure i admit pyro cant do everything himself, but there is an extremely viable solution hes refusing to implement because hes afraid ill sneak in and somehow drop a grenade in his toilet.

Shit isnt being researched because there isnt enough people there, its physically difficult to get people over there and people generally dont want to go there because they get trapped there.

All of these problems are solved by QEC droids because people can "travel" there instantly and once they are finished sciencing they can also "leave" instantly. Just limit it to like 5 droids or something for piecewise sake.

@Radio
As for QEC restrictions, id probably go with something like the ability to create designated areas they can operate in.
Something like "this drone works in the pill testing area" but it shuts down if you try to leave the building unless the permissions are updated to include travel to other sectors.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: October 29, 2014, 08:11:29 pm »

I'm not the biggest fan of a QEC remote research-bot, at least at a glance.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:33 pm »

Are you a fan of being trapped on haphaestus for weeks on end after youve finished what you set out to accomplish?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: October 29, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »

@Nik

Oh, I think I remember that list.  Yes, I think that's a very good idea, although I don't think it would be useful to me personally- I'm too self-concious to list my own ideas, and I have too many to spend time working on other people's stuff.  It would be very good for requests like "what armor already exists" and "How do various weapons perform against various armors".

As far as your second question, about why we aren't expanding... well, in my case it's kinda because I'm unsure what I'm allowed to do, what I should do, and what we actually can do.

Logically, if we were playing this like an actual 4x, we'd have just set everything to 'EXPAND' and just left it there for awhile.  But we--or I, anyways--didn't do this because it probably wouldn't have any real effect.  I highly doubt PW has some mysterious 'production capacity' number somewhere in the backround, that certain stuff subtracts certain amounts from.   Anyways, logically, there's no reason that we could expand Hephaestus itself much- it's already been around for literal centuries, possibly more than a millenium.  What can we expect to do in a few piddly years?

Another limiter is what we're allowed to do.  Logically, I wouldn't be doing this silly "build a fleshpit, when it's done build another", no, I'd build a hundred right off the bat.  We're doing the one building at a time thing because it's a game, and games are illogical.  That's horrible reasoning, but there you go.

On top of those, I've been unsure of what I should do simply because I'm technically supposed to just be a researcher brought on for tinkering.  That's basically entirely irrelevant now, since Sean and I can do whatever we want, and are in control of Hephaestus, but it used to be a big problem for me.

Also, as a last point, I would find that to be utterly boring.  Setting everything to grow mode for two years and then having maximum level of everything is stupid and unfun... especially if we're at a disadvantage if we don't do that.  But that's just my opinion.

@Unholy Pariah

I'm sorry, I may have been projecting onto you, but when I read your last post I felt like it was... imperious.  You said 'everything Pyro is neglecting' which made it sound like you were accusing Pyro of not doing his job, and then you had suggestions on what he should be doing.  I apologize if you were honestly just trying to point out things we've missed, although to be honest I think most of that stuff is minor and inconsequential.

@Hapah

Okay.  What is your reasoning?  I don't think there's any inherent problems with it- we know controlling a robobody with a QEC works well, and we have the resources.  I don't think there's really much purpose to them- the only use is that people can mess with physical objects, and most of the physical objects that need messing with, need special objects or tests; We don't have much stuff that we can safely leave in a room with a robobody that Sword people can connect to.  Aside from that though, it's not a bad idea.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: October 29, 2014, 09:08:46 pm »

I can see it being an issue for people posting in three different threads; on ship, Tinker, and Heph.  Sure, Miya gets a pass because he's in charge, but letting lots of people do it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: October 29, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »

@Hapah

Okay.  What is your reasoning?  I don't think there's any inherent problems with it- we know controlling a robobody with a QEC works well, and we have the resources.  I don't think there's really much purpose to them- the only use is that people can mess with physical objects, and most of the physical objects that need messing with, need special objects or tests; We don't have much stuff that we can safely leave in a room with a robobody that Sword people can connect to.  Aside from that though, it's not a bad idea.
Well, there's a few of things that came to mind for me, and you've touched on a couple in your question.

Okay.  What is your reasoning?  I don't think there's any inherent problems with it- we know controlling a robobody with a QEC works well, and we have the resources.
I'm sure it's technically possible, yeah. Resources may or may not be finite (I don't think they'd take much?), but I'm more concerned about the implications.

I was under the impression that having Heph set up as Pyro's own personal dictatorship was more of a feature, and not an unintended restriction (though only PW would know, I guess). If so, how much control should the king have over his kingdom? If he (Pyro's a he, right?) doesn't get to significantly screen who comes on with a QEC, what's gonna happen when (not if, when is definitely the right word) one of those QEC bots causes an "incident" on the level of Grate and the pill machine or STAN? Thought I saw something about the pill machine in that post, which is a perfect example, but guess I was imagining things. If he does get to screen or gate them, who would he let play with a bot that he wouldn't let set foot on planet? It'd be a very limited implementation that's quite similar to what we have now.

I think that eroding whatever gates Pyro wants to put up (like with this QEC bot example), is just going to leave both sides unsatisfied in the end. I'd prefer to see a concrete decision to either relax Pyro's gates or leave them intact, instead of trying to go down the middle path.

I don't think there's really much purpose to them- the only use is that people can mess with physical objects, and most of the physical objects that need messing with, need special objects or tests; We don't have much stuff that we can safely leave in a room with a robobody that Sword people can connect to.
I'd agree with this. Hell, if people want to play with a Nyarsifact on ship, I'm got a DEATHCUBE that needs testing. All I'd ask as payment is that you share the results with me or post the action in thread for all to see, and I could even provide some combinations (assuming we can handwave the communications issues) which are likely beneficial, but I haven't tried them out on myself yet. I hope to sell DEATHCUBE services someday, if I can unlock its mysteries.

I can see it being an issue for people posting in three different threads; on ship, Tinker, and Heph.  Sure, Miya gets a pass because he's in charge, but letting lots of people do it?
It's a legitimate concern that I hadn't considered, yeah.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: October 29, 2014, 09:54:43 pm »

If you really wanted to test out the pill machine, next time we're on a populated planet, hit a big city and just hand out pills to druggies.  Let them take it and see what happens!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: October 29, 2014, 10:04:09 pm »

If you really wanted to test out the pill machine, next time we're on a populated planet, hit a big city and just hand out pills to druggies.  Let them take it and see what happens!
Need access to the pill machine first, hence QEC droids.. or having it shipped back to the sword.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: October 29, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »

It's a shame we couldn't just make a pill and have the infirmary research it or ask the Doc about it like with the one from the pill sphere.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:18 pm »

@Hapah

Oh, okay.  I agree with you completely.  I think we were just considering the idea on different scopes; You were thinking of what Unholy intended- basically an excuse for him and anyone else to mess with things like the pill machine.  I was thinking of what I could actually see anyone on Heph agreeing to, which wouldn't allow anyone off planet to mess with anything that could possibly pose a real risk, like the pill machine.

And yes, my post did contain a line saying the pill machine isn't something safe, and therefore wouldn't be accessible by the QEC bots.  I edited it out because I changed the final paragraph to be less... difficult to read, and the line about the pill machine didn't flow with the change.

Arguably, I could see a role for the bots.  If they were limited to people who are actually allowed onto Hephaestus, then it kinda makes sense- people could stay on the Sword, and when they aren't on-mission, they can work on Hephaestus.  It would detract from the general feeling a little though; I like Hephaestus being a semi-special post that's actually a commitment.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: October 29, 2014, 10:49:39 pm »

Ah, weep not, Radio. I'm going to do interesting stuff with my powers eventually, but for now I wanna take it slowly because if I don't I just uncontrollably waste biomass. Plus I gotta maintain cover now that some people on ship will try to kill me because they witnessed STAN.

Have you tried just sticking your mouth under a mess hall nozzle and NOM NOM NOMing until you couldn't any more?  I'm sure PW would stop it at some point for balance purposes (unless you threw an extreme roll and he made you too fat to move for laughs) but it'd be at least some biomass.  Mesk just brings a lunchbox with him on missions for that same general purpose.
I did that once, I just ended up stopping once my weight started to go over a ton or two because the floor would collapse or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: October 29, 2014, 10:59:38 pm »

You seem to misunderstand my intentions, the QEC bots arent intended to be used so anyone can just fuck around whenever they feel like it.

They are intended to allow people who still want to go on missions but missed the cut to conduct meaningful science while they wait for either the next mission to start or for reinforcements to be called in.

Seriously, weve had the pill machine for over a fucking year and it hasnt had any serious science or intelligent use performed yet.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: October 29, 2014, 11:14:24 pm »

You seem to misunderstand my intentions, the QEC bots arent intended to be used so anyone can just fuck around whenever they feel like it.

They are intended to allow people who still want to go on missions but missed the cut to conduct meaningful science while they wait for either the next mission to start or for reinforcements to be called in.

Seriously, weve had the pill machine for over a fucking year and it hasnt had any serious science or intelligent use performed yet.
Intentions and results aren't always the same, though. It has to be thought through; we've gotta look at all the angles. Would you say my concerns have some merit, even if you don't agree with them entirely?

If you want to do science on the ship, again, I've got a cube that needs much more testing. You only need to ask, and we'd need to get the communication or permission handwaved (which, personally, I don't think would be a problem). From what I've learned about it, it's a very interesting items that still holds many secrets (I've only mapped maybe a third of the keys, and am uncertain how some of them will interact), and has the potential to be incredibly powerful. It's also not half as dangerous as the name DEATHCUBE would suggest, for what that's worth.

As for the pill machine, whose tokens bought it? Or was it brought back from a mission?

Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 2205