Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494081 times)

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8685 on: September 01, 2014, 02:23:52 am »

@Kisame Longshoreman Of The Apocalypse/Long-gunner Of The Apocalypse? Schlock reference?  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:27:55 am by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: September 01, 2014, 04:03:01 am »

In trying to find interesting-sounding translations of fitting names for this thing, I realized that "mangekyo", of Naruto-verse's "mangekyo sharingan", means "kaleidoscope". TheMoreYouKnow!

Most of these names don't fit the themes or are too silly, although I like the "Zaichik". :P

I think I'll name it the "Spectrum" after all. Just name the whole series that, and distinguish by designations. The rifle version is the "Spectrum VLW", Variable Laser Weapon. The large version is the "Spectrum VHL", Variable Heavy Laser. It needs to be both catchy, simple, and descriptive, and so far I think "Spectrum" is the only one that fits.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: September 01, 2014, 04:05:17 am »

Lord's Genoicide? (if you go along the multi-colour/rainbow route).
In honour of the Noah's Ark tale of god almost destroying all of humanity with a flood, then feeling bad about it and giving us a rainbow (so we knew he wouldn't do it again. Unless he really wanted to).

Lord's Genocide Variable Laser Weapon just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

(geez they told us some pretty messed up things in religious education classes as kids. Yes, this is a "thing".
References: http://scripturosity.com/2010/10/25/divine-origin-and-sacred-history-the-rainbow-covenant/
www.biblefocus.net/consider/v20rainbow/index.html )
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:22:11 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8688 on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:41 am »

Yeah, but then we'd have the copyright protection fleets of the megacorporations ally against us.
You know, because we'd end up calling it LG.
And everybody knows you don't anger the copyright protection fleets. Same way you don't anger the pizza delivery fleets.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: September 01, 2014, 05:02:43 am »

I'm vaguely thinking you might be right. The c&d letter would be hilarious though.

"Our toasters do not murder random civilians!"

B12's reply:
"Our's might....."
It's a game. Have fun.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8690 on: September 01, 2014, 12:16:11 pm »

@Sean Mirrsen: I was reading this:
X-rays have the best penetration capability, and deal the most collateral damage to biological targets. They are highly damaging, but are also very hard to generate, or rather focus and reflect, meaning they are slow to gain power by the looping-beam seeding method. In game terms, this could mean that if you fire X-Rays, you can deliver extra damage at the cost of having to "cook" the weapon before every shot, like you would when overcharge shooting a different wavelength.
Don't X-rays require heavy shielding to be absorbed, at least the kind that kills people? Wouldn't that mean that any X-rays escaping from the back of the gun (where they are reflected) would probably hit the user, unless it has a heavy shield in the back? Do you take that as an acceptable risk (telling people they're going to radiate themselves to death if they keep firing with that mode) or is there something I have missed?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: September 01, 2014, 03:04:50 pm »

@Sean Mirrsen: I was reading this:
X-rays have the best penetration capability, and deal the most collateral damage to biological targets. They are highly damaging, but are also very hard to generate, or rather focus and reflect, meaning they are slow to gain power by the looping-beam seeding method. In game terms, this could mean that if you fire X-Rays, you can deliver extra damage at the cost of having to "cook" the weapon before every shot, like you would when overcharge shooting a different wavelength.
Don't X-rays require heavy shielding to be absorbed, at least the kind that kills people? Wouldn't that mean that any X-rays escaping from the back of the gun (where they are reflected) would probably hit the user, unless it has a heavy shield in the back? Do you take that as an acceptable risk (telling people they're going to radiate themselves to death if they keep firing with that mode) or is there something I have missed?

Lasers are directed and therefore don't leak backwards.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8692 on: September 01, 2014, 03:16:01 pm »

Yeah, but the way I understand it, he is bouncing the beam inside the "barrel" to make the electrons "charge up" faster before releasing it. So unless he is using gravity automanipulators to distort space to make light turn, he's probably reflecting it on something and that something is probably going to "leak".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: September 01, 2014, 03:32:43 pm »

Yeah, in order not to make the rifle longer than the user is tall, and to facilitate the loopback thing, the rifle actually generates the beam backwards, and reflects it forward. Part of why I'm using an R&D team instead of just making the thing myself is solving these little intricacies without explicit solutions for them. IRL x-rays can be manipulated via refraction, i.e. using some ceramics, so refracting lenses and mirrors are possible without much leakthrough, and a little lead plate plus the mass of magnets within the weapon should minimize the amount of penetrating x-rays that leave out the back of the gun.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8694 on: September 01, 2014, 03:56:19 pm »

Ah, yes, I had forgotten you were using an R&D team. Makes sense. It's the future, we should be able to make complicated materials cheaply with a bit of research.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: September 02, 2014, 10:19:41 am »

By the by, the shipyard's all done on Hephaestus.

Also, I drew this picture of our refitted freighter:

Opinions?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: September 02, 2014, 10:30:41 am »

Is that the Aurora and the Hammer in the lower left?  That's pretty neat.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:04 am »

Who here has heard of Madox-01?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: September 02, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »

As always, your art is pure awesome, Sean!

Although, I think you take advantage of it ;)- "Spirit of Communism"?  I thought we were a dictatorship. :P

What does the inner circle say?   All I can make out is "Deliver to enc ... need.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:58 pm »

As always, your art is pure awesome, Sean!

Although, I think you take advantage of it ;)- "Spirit of Communism"?  I thought we were a dictatorship. :P

What does the inner circle say?   All I can make out is "Deliver to enc ... need.
It actually says each. It's just the way the a looks.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 2205