Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492900 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8565 on: August 28, 2014, 11:27:24 am »

Yeah, my memory's similar to Toaster's.  I believe they were all about traveling, exploration, etc, which contributed to their popularity;  They first appeared when humans stated spreading to other worlds, and I'd think they would grow very rapidly on fledgling colonies.

The cultists we met in M2 were proto-altered genehackers.  I don't remember Wayfarers ever being mentioned in reference to Altered, so I doubt there's any real connection.

I wonder if this 'origin' is currently sitting on Heph, waiting to be shipped off to a nearby-ish asteroid and poked with a Olslaov spear...

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: August 28, 2014, 11:31:54 am »

Actually, it appears those M2 fanatics were of
"The church of the Free sky and the Shackling earth"
Though the name still seems somewhat relevant. I'll have to investigate it later.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: August 28, 2014, 11:34:19 am »

Syvarris is right on the M2 cultists; as far as I know they have no connection, and the Wayfarers certainly predate them greatly.

Did the M4 artifact ever get called the Origin?  It was called the Source in the description of the amp factory, which is a similar word but not the same.

I read the Origin as in the origin of the Altered, implying that the Doctor created them... and possibly is one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: August 28, 2014, 11:35:09 am »

In Greek mythology, Phobetor ("frightening"), Ikelos, Icelos or Icelus was one of the Oneiroi, the personifications of dreaming. According to Hesiod,[1] Phobetor is the son of Nyx, the primordial goddess of the Night, produced parthenogenetically, or as Cicero claims,[2] with Erebus, the embodiment of Darkness. The Phobetor had the ability to appear in the mortal realm in the guise of various animals and could change their physical forms at will in order to interact with mortals in the waking world. Phobetor was the personification of nightmares and appeared in dreams in the form of animals or monsters. Among the gods he was known by his true name, Icelus (Ikelos "semblance"). Together with his brothers, Phobetor resided in the land of dreams (Demos Oneiroi), a part of the underworld.

Interesting that Steve seems to be aware of this information already.

I have a feeling that Origin, the Altered, and Phobetor are related.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: August 28, 2014, 11:42:10 am »

Could Phobetor be the, eh, thing the Doctor currently physically is?
(As well as perhaps a species of such things, which may (or may not) include the monster from M15, AM and yet unencountered unseen horrors. Oh, and possibly Xan :P )
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: August 28, 2014, 11:46:11 am »

On the current telescope thing in M14, as long as the targeting array is disabled, you should be fine.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8571 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49:27 am »

Should we start calling brother Lars "Prophet Lars"? I think he's had more apocalyptic visions than anyone else. Except perhaps the people seeing the sheep.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: August 28, 2014, 11:53:36 am »

I was just wondering- in M15, when Denzel decided to overload his manipulator, the line stretched out to some specific target. I don't know what that destination was, but maybe it's relevant to this new info?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:51 pm »

And some for that info Lars got is a bit...worrying.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »

A god from man/the stars does seem in line with what Lars saw in his vision during the Heph assault.

Also, we've heard that name before:

The world around you shimmers and distorts, as though you were viewing everything through the surface of a pond and someone just dropped a rock into it. You feel suddenly very ill.

"Your body can't handle much more." The sheep says, now nothing more then a severed head hovering near you. "One more thing to see."

The vision jerks wildly through space again before coming to a rest viewing a large asteroid. You can see blinking lights set up around what looks like a hole in the surface; a man made entrance.

"This is the Herald. You shall know it by its name; and its name is Phobetor. It was the beginning."

Your head hurts and your eyes start to bleed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: August 28, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

Oh boys, what fun couple turns. Morul has now very serious Need for Steve.

That Star-Eater / Lar's vision is probably the End of The Game (ER).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:21:17 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:42 pm »

Also, this:
Steve won't allow it. Herr Docktor is supposed to be dead I think.
Indeed. We don't need the old guard of the UWM to stir from their moldering pleasure domes because the Father of Nightmares reared his head again.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:30 pm »

I was just wondering- in M15, when Denzel decided to overload his manipulator, the line stretched out to some specific target. I don't know what that destination was, but maybe it's relevant to this new info?

I pointed that out back then, but people were too busy skedaddling and there was no contact with Steve so someone could inquire of him where that line was going. It probably takes to the same point in space Morul's goggles are connected to and the mad serial killer's coordinates lead to. Another chance missed and even if we never see that line again it might be for the best.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8578 on: August 28, 2014, 12:51:49 pm »

Oh boys, what fun couple turns. Morul has now very serious Need for Steve.
Well, not really. It depends on a lot of factors. Mainly on him really being above a planet, because this could be a hallucination or other effect.
If he is in orbit above Kano, then he simply needs to call for a shuttle.
If he is falling to Kano and Steve can't get to him in time, then he simply needs to enter voidspace, swim a bit to slow down and exit. Do this enough times and he can survive re-entry. Or maybe just keep swimming in voidspace until he is going slow enough for Steve to catch up to him. Unless Timmy shows up.
If he is in orbit above another planet, then he is going to have to search for any sort of space station or satellite and hope he won't get captured by any UWM-alinged workers. Then he just has to contact Steve somehow, maybe use the Internet.
If the planet lacks any sort of space station or satellite, then he can try falling to its surface. MK suits can recycle air for days and he should have at least some food with him in his backpack.
If he falls to an uninhabited or worse an uninhabitable planet, THEN he's pretty much on his own. However, even in that case, he should have appeared above this planet for a reason. So if he searches, he should be able to find some sort of sign of human or alien activity. That could be his ticket out of there.
The most obvious thing to check would be radio signals. If he's lucky, anything worth anything around him should be emitting radio signals of some sort.
Or instead of using the voidsuit, he could use his manipulator to move around, provided he gets enough dynamic bonuses. Or he could use the space compression effect of voidspace in conjunction with his manipulator to move around really fast.
Really, as someone who has been trapped in a spaceship falling to the surface of a planet, I can attest that until you are dead, there is a great deal of things you can do to stay alive. Of course, having Steve there to help is always a great plus.
But if worse comes to worse, you can always play with Timmy in the name of Science.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: August 28, 2014, 12:57:37 pm »

"Disappearance of outer rim colonies"... PW has been planning this for long time.

That reminds, wasn't there another guy related to creation of Arbiters? The general of some sort who fortified himself on Earth-3 fortress world? Whose death wasn't ever confirmed?

@Parisbre56: Well there's naturally lots of options available. The Void Suit trick was first to come mind. But I just really wanted to link that song, I have been waiting opportunity for a while.  :P
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 2205