Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495222 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5955 on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:49 am »

or Lyra sound like.
Cats Meowing
"Lyra didn't always sound like that."

Insert tiny-voiced anime schoolgirl then?  I don't have a Youtube link handy for that one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: June 13, 2014, 08:03:47 am »

Quote from: Piecewise
The rifle performs admirably. Great penetration against most forms of armor and quite effective if the shard detonates inside the target. Against completely unarmored targets it has a habit of just piercing straight through and not detonating till after, but it's still punching straight through them, so it's at least as effective as a normal, smaller caliber Gauss rifle.

6.I assume this is only for the highly charged semi-auto shots?  Because all sizes of shards except the maximum stuck into targets when I first tested it.  If this is standard shards somehow, reduce the minimum power for shots so they stick into unarmored targets, but retain the armor-piercing mode with the dial.

Your smallest projectile is a 2-inch long, half-inch thick sharpened crystal shard.

The .50 BMG round used in anti-materiel sniper rifles is only 0.139 inches longer and 0.11 inches thicker than that. And although it likely travels at a greater velocity, it is nowhere near that sharp.

I'm perfectly aware of that (I have a fifty sitting on my shelf), but I'm fairly certain the crystal my weapon fires is nowhere near the weight or strength of actual metals.  Even if it did, from PW's description, it tapers much faster.

I'm pretty sure that if it did perform similarly to metal, than the normal PSL, which fires two-foot projectiles which are three inches wide at the center, at the same velocity my gun fires, would literally break people firing it, because it weighs 1728 times as much as my round.

If my bullet does all of a sudden perform like a fifty, then it is too strong, because it's meant to be a high-quality anti-personnel round, not anti-materiel, so I'm giving it the ability to be fired at a lower velocity.

But beyond all that, I specifically tested each shard at specific sizes before I ever made the gun, and shards at this size original stuck into unarmored targets.  I'll give PW the benefit of the doubt, and assume the power of the weapon hasn't changed for no reason.  PW does forget sometimes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: June 13, 2014, 08:10:01 am »

It doesn't need to be as heavy as a real .50, because it's sharper and sturdier. It can probably just stab directly through an unarmored body's soft tissues without stopping. But any sort of armor will stop it, because it's not heavy enough to just punch through. I think that makes sense.

Your rifle has less muzzle velocity and less muzzle energy than a .50 caliber machinegun, so it's unlikely to break the shooter's hands... much. Getting some of the recoil compensators from a gauss rifle would be a good idea in any case.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: June 13, 2014, 08:13:27 am »

Random idea not related to the topic, Sean is probably right though, has anyone made a sonic screwdriver? Or a sonic anything? Because those could be useful if collateral damage heavy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: June 13, 2014, 08:50:14 am »

Random idea not related to the topic, Sean is probably right though, has anyone made a sonic screwdriver? Or a sonic anything? Because those could be useful if collateral damage heavy.

Spoiler: Sonic screwdriver (click to show/hide)

We had a few sound-based (or rather shockwave-based) weapons, but they have the common flaw of being useless in space/vacuum.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: June 13, 2014, 08:52:19 am »

Of course, the benefit of them is that once you use them you mess with your opponents balance and hearing, both of which are needed for effective fighting in most cases.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5961 on: June 13, 2014, 09:21:58 am »

So any of you guys ever play Overgrowth?  Turns out the arena mode has some sort of dynamic muscle growth algorithm that modifies the character meshes to make higher level opponents look bigger and buffer. Which is really neat, but unfortunately it seems to have no upper limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLmyZ6Ls5Q

I think I may have done a bad thing.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: June 13, 2014, 09:24:22 am »

I didn't know that.
Both the muscle thing and the fact you can run from the arena apparently.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:22 am »

Oh god.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: June 13, 2014, 10:21:58 am »

* Toaster presses the button on the Incident Counter
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:35 am »

* Toaster presses the button on the Incident Counter
+1
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: June 13, 2014, 10:22:59 am »

What happened?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: June 13, 2014, 10:24:53 am »

It doesn't need to be as heavy as a real .50, because it's sharper and sturdier. It can probably just stab directly through an unarmored body's soft tissues without stopping. But any sort of armor will stop it, because it's not heavy enough to just punch through. I think that makes sense.

...You don't know much about bullet ballistics, do you?  First, making the bullet heavier increases the energy it has at a given velocity, and you can put more energy into a heavier bullet because it doesn't leave the barrel as quickly.  Next, sharpness, at least at the level of difference between a .308 and a crystal, matters very little.  Flesh parts pretty easily at these speeds, and it still needs to force it to the sides.  Lastly, why do you think crystals are sturdier?  During volley fire they shatter into lots of pieces and they shatter after they've hit the target.  Bullets pretty much maintain their shape unless they hit a very hard target.

Beyond all that, you don't want anti-personnel bullets to be good at penetration.  They'll go through the people and waste most of their energy.  That's why we have hollow points, and why crystals are wonderful for armor- they explode after they penetrate, meaning they act like a magical AP hollowpoint.

And Piecewise specifically said it was good at penetrating armor.  Your first post about this had his quote in it saying so.

Your rifle has less muzzle velocity and less muzzle energy than a .50 caliber machinegun, so it's unlikely to break the shooter's hands... much. Getting some of the recoil compensators from a gauss rifle would be a good idea in any case.

I really probably won't.  This gun, considering how effective it seems, is probably going to be expensive and have a decent str requirement.  Reducing the latter will only exacerbate the former.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:43 am »

I...

Shit that's really fucked up.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 2205