Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492513 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #3570 on: May 08, 2014, 03:22:19 pm »

Oh damn, three people at once. That's harsh. Here's hoping the same doesn't happen with team A. It would be somewhat annoying if Pan was to die after waiting more than a month to be able to play again.
Yeah, our ship is dead in the water void and thus likely to get hit, that's why I asked Steve to turn your shell into an escape pod if possible.

It's not quite dead, we have maneuvering. We probably just can't make significant orbital changes anymore. That does remind me of something I wanted to do...

In my albeit limited experience, anything that gives you manoeuvring capability beyond simple pitch, yaw, and roll control at any decent rate will be powerful enough to make at least 1 or 2 significant changes to your orbit. You just have to use it right, and be patient.
I suspect that's the problem. Can't be patient when you're being fired upon, and any reaction control system won't be enough to shift a capital ship sufficiently to perform any sort of evasive maneuvers. It's enough for stationkeeping and drifting this way and that, but it won't do you much good.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: May 08, 2014, 03:33:54 pm »

Also, Team G is composed of four components, Marcius was one of them but he was a zombie char...
Should we locate and shoot what's left of his corpse? Rule #2, you know.

@ PW: What are the chances of Renen being found?
Also, Team G is composed of four components, Marcius was one of them but he was a zombie char...
Depends. I'd say Hephaestus is gonna have a pretty big ship graveyard/debris field around it after this. There's a tracker in your brain, same with everyone else, but a team is still gonna need to actually get out there and find it.
Well, unless the ships are on the WH40k scale, or ideally Death Stars, the debris field would be pretty puny.
As for the tracker...well...if you can keep figuring out the direction and ideally distance even from the spacecraft, it shouldn't be that hard. Just orbital rendezvous, which I sure hope Steve is better at than I am.

...since I'm a brit I'll go with the Last Post rather than taps.
No offense, but that does sound a lot like Taps, if more cheerful. Guess the Pond isn't so big after all.

(Interesting piece of trivia is that the Last Post was not originally associated with military funerals: the last action of the day at british army camps was an inspection of the sentry posts and once the last post was inspected the call was played to signify the end of day, later apparent;y it would also be used to signify the end of a day's fighting and call soldiers back from the battlefield, so with the connotations of the end of the day, going down of the sun. the close of fighting and duty discharged I guess it was a logical step to start using it at funerals as well
I think Taps has a similar history. Don't quote me on that, though.

In my albeit limited experience, anything that gives you manoeuvring capability beyond simple pitch, yaw, and roll control at any decent rate will be powerful enough to make at least 1 or 2 significant changes to your orbit. You just have to use it right, and be patient.
Assuming that it uses reaction control thrusters and not reaction wheels.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Phoenix Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: May 08, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »

Should we locate and shoot what's left of his corpse? Rule #2, you know.

@ PW: What are the chances of Renen being found?
Depends. I'd say Hephaestus is gonna have a pretty big ship graveyard/debris field around it after this. There's a tracker in your brain, same with everyone else, but a team is still gonna need to actually get out there and find it.
Well, unless the ships are on the WH40k scale, or ideally Death Stars, the debris field would be pretty puny.
As for the tracker...well...if you can keep figuring out the direction and ideally distance even from the spacecraft, it shouldn't be that hard. Just orbital rendezvous, which I sure hope Steve is better at than I am.

...since I'm a brit I'll go with the Last Post rather than taps.
No offense, but that does sound a lot like Taps, if more cheerful. Guess the Pond isn't so big after all.

(Interesting piece of trivia is that the Last Post was not originally associated with military funerals: the last action of the day at british army camps was an inspection of the sentry posts and once the last post was inspected the call was played to signify the end of day, later apparent;y it would also be used to signify the end of a day's fighting and call soldiers back from the battlefield, so with the connotations of the end of the day, going down of the sun. the close of fighting and duty discharged I guess it was a logical step to start using it at funerals as well
I think Taps has a similar history. Don't quote me on that, though.

Assuming that it uses reaction control thrusters and not reaction wheels.

Not surprising really, the bugle has a relatively limited range of notes it can play and given that as you say Taps seems to have had a similar role as a 'close of day' call and given that people tend to think similarly there's going to be a certain amount of similarity in what is used.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »

She ded. Welp.

Time for next character, I was thinking either a street thug who has to adjust from fighting for money-scraps in the hood to being on the forefront of a revolution, or a cute catgirl. What do y'all think?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3574 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:24 pm »

She ded. Welp.

Time for next character, I was thinking either a street thug who has to adjust from fighting for money-scraps in the hood to being on the forefront of a revolution, or a cute catgirl. What do y'all think?
Well, we already have a catgirl, so maybe the first one. Then again, she's currently on ice and cat-realted-pun-potential, so, meh, I dunno.
Will the first character rap?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: May 08, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

She ded. Welp.

Well, we already have a catgirl, so maybe the first one. Then again, she's currently on ice and cat-realted-pun-potential, so, meh, I dunno.
Will the first character rap?

Possibly. He's partly inspired by Milno as a counterpart, instead of young farm guy he's young city guy, an ostracized youth, though more disillusioned with the government and all due to his place in life.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Phoenix Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: May 08, 2014, 05:31:04 pm »

Either's good from my perspective, the street thug has a lot you could do with it, on the other hand since Lyra doesn't seem to be that active these days we *do* have a catgirl shortage...

Quote from: One of the shadowrunners in one of the shadowrun 4A books talking about SURGE, a magical phenomenon causing a small number of people to begin exhibiting animal traits that I can't remember and can't be bothered to look up
Say what you like but the existance of real live Catgirls is proof the spirits love us and want us to be happy

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: May 08, 2014, 05:32:40 pm »

I kinda like the idea of the disillusioned tuff guy from the streets.
((Where is my corpse? Is it in the room where I died, or in the bridge with my teammates, or in a stasis pod in the boarding pod?))
Given that we left it in that room, I'd think it'd be there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: May 08, 2014, 06:21:52 pm »

She ded. Welp.
How about playing against type?
Or you could replace your late silly character with a serious one. Or a parody of gritty, serious characters. Either one works well with the thug.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: May 08, 2014, 06:48:39 pm »

Either I missed something or is TCM talking about May's death?!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: May 08, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »

Yes, the latter.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3582 on: May 08, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »

May died. Along with 2 other people.

Shots status: Fired.

TCM: Best way to make a character is to find the most interesting or strange flaws possible and then work from there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: May 08, 2014, 07:09:06 pm »

I have a feeling that TCM is perfectly capable of playing a realistic or serious character, but I bet she would enjoy it far less than one of his typical characters.
If I thought TCM couldn't play a serious character, would I have suggested it?

As a typically-serious player who likes playing silly characters sometimes, I imagine that the opposite would be enjoyable as well.

This isn't a Chick Tract. People survive when their characters die.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3584 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »

This isn't a Chick Tract. People survive when their characters die.
Does anyone else find that sentence impossible to understand or is it just me?
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 2205