Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304136 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3990 on: March 30, 2014, 08:53:17 am »

You underestimate the Russian Anti-Air Defence. Suprisingly, all Americans seems to forget the fact that the Russian Anti0Air is much, much better than the American one.

That might limit the effectiveness of air supremacy but it's not going to stop stealth fighters from doing deep penetration missions to clear the air.  If NATO forces can keep Russian planes far from the fight and operate freely close to friendly forces (where those things wouldn't dare operate) then air superiority will still count for a lot.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: March 30, 2014, 08:55:19 am »

Doesn't Russia have it's own Black Sea fleet? Then again, they already scuttled a few of their ships to blockade Crimea (I wonder if they ever considered the cost of UNblocking the place later on? lol).

But yeah, any Russian ships would have to run the gauntlet in order to get to the Black Sea from elsewhere. You have two chokepoints for one, and the entire Mediterranean, and that's just the Mediterranean area.

China is more likely to just stay out of it, they have no desire for war and AFAIK, have no treaty that Russia could use to call them into war.

UR, that list may not be too reliable - just look at Bangladesh's nuclear arsenal.

Yeah, the US not having ANY patrol boats? I refuse to believe that.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: March 30, 2014, 08:58:51 am »

I can imagine few reasons why China may join the war on Russian side but India? Truly, Martians are more likely. 
There are higher chances of Martians attacking us than NATO attacking russia (or other way around).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_level_of_military_equipment
That list is much better for analysys. At least there are numbers

Combined military budget of NATO is in another world, and let's not forget about corruption in Russian army, so effective budget is lower

Comparing Navies is not even funny. Not only numbers are from different realms, tech levels are too. Black Sea will see no Russian ships as soon as First NATO task force arrives. That if Turks not do the job first

Tanks? Well, on park 23 000 Russian tanks look good... But Combined NATO power is roughly the same in the size. As for tech level and condition of the tanks... I bet that NATO's are way better on average. Finally, in modern war tanks are usually destroyed not by other tanks
And from where Russia will get 23 000 tank crews who actually know how to effectively use the tanks

NATO has definitely larger air-force. And of better quality, not only by tech level but by training and actual combat experience of pilots. Russia may have  1300 fighters, but 1300 worthy pilots? I doubt it

And so on... Believing that Russia has any chance against NATO in conventional war isn't smart.
First you assume a lot of things here.
In both lists you have number, you just need to click around. But yes russia alone can not wing against NATO, no one will say that, but than again it will not fight against nato in first place, I dont know why was this type of conversation even started about it.
Make love not war

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: March 30, 2014, 09:07:41 am »

You underestimate the Russian Anti-Air Defence. Suprisingly, all Americans seems to forget the fact that the Russian Anti0Air is much, much better than the American one.

That might limit the effectiveness of air supremacy but it's not going to stop stealth fighters from doing deep penetration missions to clear the air.  If NATO forces can keep Russian planes far from the fight and operate freely close to friendly forces (where those things wouldn't dare operate) then air superiority will still count for a lot.
For over 8 years (or more) now you have radars that can detect stealth aircraft. So its not that big problem anymore.

Edit:
Actually you can detect even with "normal" older radars, but its harder, but still posible
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:11:18 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: March 30, 2014, 09:19:03 am »

For over 8 years (or more) now you have radars that can detect stealth aircraft. So its not that big problem anymore.

Edit:
Actually you can detect even with "normal" older radars, but its harder, but still posible
It's because different radars use different wavelengths. Old radars used only a single wavelength, thus it was possible to make the aircraft invisible to that wavelength. Modern radars use multiple wavelengths and thus render the stealth technology... not that superuseful.

Also, don't forget about the satellite network that Russia has.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:33 am »

Edit:
It's because different radars use different wavelengths. Old radars used only a single wavelength, thus it was possible to make the aircraft invisible to that wavelength. Modern radars use multiple wavelengths and thus render the stealth technology... not that superuseful.

Also, don't forget about the satellite network that Russia has.

The US has a satellite network too, as well as several other countries, so it's really not an advantage that Russia has.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:00 am »

Of course if NATO would intervene we'd threaten with nukes right away. We are not stupid, you know.

Errr... the first half of this statement seems to disagree with the second.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: March 30, 2014, 11:30:53 am »

Of course if NATO would intervene we'd threaten with nukes right away. We are not stupid, you know.
Errr... the first half of this statement seems to disagree with the second.
Agreed. Threatening half the world with NUKES is not that smart.

Anyway, we can agree that Russia is massively outnumbered and outgunned by the combined forces of NATO. However, there is the problem of actually getting said forces on the theatre of operation, which is somewhat easier in the modern day, but still a logistical nightmare on the scale we're talking about.
It's all about local numerical superiority.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3998 on: March 30, 2014, 11:36:41 am »

True.

I also wouldn't put it past China to 'Officially' side with Russia, just to prevent the war in this scenario.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: March 30, 2014, 11:56:24 am »

Yeah, standing nuclear policy is that they're only used when your nation is in danger of ceasing to exist. They aren't a credible threat*, even if they're a legitimate threat. By that, I mean that nobody would believe you're actually willing to use them this way, even if, by dint of brain damage or something, you really are. And I'm confident that everyone in a position to be relevant to this decision knows that. The way nukes actually function in international politics is more akin to a moat full of rattlesnakes around your castle, not as some manner of hyper-catapult.

*From a politician in a well-established nuclear power. Non-government entities are a different thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4000 on: March 30, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »

Yeah, standing nuclear policy is that they're only used when your nation is in danger of ceasing to exist. They aren't a credible threat*, even if they're a legitimate threat. By that, I mean that nobody would believe you're actually willing to use them this way, even if, by dint of brain damage or something, you really are. And I'm confident that everyone in a position to be relevant to this decision knows that. The way nukes actually function in international politics is more akin to a series of magma pump stacks around your fort, not as some manner of hyper-catapult.

*From a politician in a well-established nuclear power. Non-government entities are a different thing.
FTFY
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:07:46 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: March 30, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: March 30, 2014, 01:39:26 pm »

http://www.aif.ua/politic/ukraine/1134529

* Sean Mirrsen is rolling on the floor laughing

I don't know anything about who the guy is... but the mental image is hilarious. XD
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: March 30, 2014, 01:47:14 pm »

http://www.aif.ua/politic/ukraine/1134529

* Sean Mirrsen is rolling on the floor laughing

I don't know anything about who the guy is... but the mental image is hilarious. XD
If I was an Ukrainian, I'd vote for him.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: March 30, 2014, 01:50:47 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger, come to our, Russian side (we have cookies) :)

Seriously, our two nations could have GREAT common future. Our cultures match, our languages are common. Do you really want to live in liberalistic West with weird traditions and distorted family social layer? Do you think that the West supports Ukraine because of anything, but trying to weaken Russia by your hands? They don't like you. The West is like Reapers from Mass Effect, engulfing lifeful cultures into their matrix of sterilised preserved beings.

Joining Europe you will be FAR away from the USA, joining Russia you will be very close to Moscow!

Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 286