Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304404 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3630 on: March 23, 2014, 02:40:16 pm »

It might help if you had leader(s) who are actually interested in rooting out corruption, like say, Theodore Roosevelt.

Yes I know I gave an American example, I don't know of any Russian political figures (or even emerging figures) who are actually interested in fighting corruption. Other than maybe that one guy who is the only one who voted against annexation.

Do you make a reference between two facts:
>Guy votes against annexation
>Guy is fighting corruption
Or it is something I should know about this guy?

Neither I can name a figure who actually tried to terminate corruption in an effective way. Because Putin is often like: "Here is some money for you guys, it is to terminate corruption".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:43:09 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: March 23, 2014, 02:49:27 pm »

It might help if you had leader(s) who are actually interested in rooting out corruption, like say, Theodore Roosevelt.

Yes I know I gave an American example, I don't know of any Russian political figures (or even emerging figures) who are actually interested in fighting corruption. Other than maybe that one guy who is the only one who voted against annexation.

Do you make a reference between two facts:
>Guy votes against annexation
>Guy is fighting corruption
Or it is something I should know about this guy?

Neither I can name a figure who actually tried to terminate corruption in an effective way. Because Putin is often like: "Here is some money for you guys, it is to terminate corruption".

I don't actually know his stance or activeness against corruption, but at least he didn't roll with the current bandwagon.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: March 23, 2014, 02:53:48 pm »

Well, to express an opinion contradicting the majority's doesn't equals to being undoubtedly right.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: March 23, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »

And they call us antisemitic?

Not sure whats so anti-semitic about that.

This is a sentiment that is widespread in israel as well. we got a phrase that, in free and broken translation, goes something like "we were being like lambs that were lead to the butchers", its a common belief and fact that jews did not oppose hitler and nazism as strongly as they should have and except a few small pockets of resistance, the majority of the jews were fooled by the notion that everything would be ok, or that the nazi party would actually turn out good for them (as i said, there were many delusional rabbis that issued manifestos that supported the Nuremberg Laws because they thought it would bring the jewish communities closer and would prevent the further integration and secularization of the jewish people that started in the "Enlightment/Haskala" age in germany.)

When i see jewish rabbis issue confused statements like "Svoboda leaders promised me everything would be ok" i can't help but think that this rabbi is not too different than those, now probably dead, rabbis in germany.

I know there's not a chance of it happening now, because the times are different and i am pretty sure ukraine can't mess with israel, but if somehow svoboda gain enough power and start rounding up jews, those rabbis should take part of the blame.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:39:41 pm by burningpet »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: March 23, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »

Well, to express an opinion contradicting the majority's doesn't equals to being undoubtedly right.
No, but it helps.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: March 23, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: March 23, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »

If we want to stay in the post-soviet sphere, I would propose Saakashvilii as a corruption-fighter. And some of his actions were radical enough (such as firing the whole traffic police and re-hiring some of them). Although of course he was far from perfect in other aspects (like giving in to Russian-Ossetes provocation in Ossetia, repressing opposition protests etc etc), but he did make progress against corruption and generally greatly improved the country.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: March 23, 2014, 07:42:10 pm »

And they call us antisemitic?
Speaking of the supposed pogroms and persecution of Russian speakers being carried out in Ukraine according to Russian media: Ukrainian-Jewish leaders wrote a letter to Putin, dissuading some myths. (Not sure if this has been posted here and it's from a few weeks ago, but still relevant)
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: March 23, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »

Putin eyes Moldova.

Well, more specifically, Transinistria. Only problem though, Ukraine is in the way. I guess they could try to run across Ukraine, but unless they do an amphibious assault on the western shore of the black sea, the troops at Ukraines eastern border have a long way to go and you can absolutely bet there will be resistance to the Russians moving through.

There is no way around it, if Putin chooses to send troops, he'll either have to do a mass airlift or otherwise invade Ukraine.

The MUCH saner option would be to make Transinistria an exclave of Russia, like that chunk between Germany and Lithuania. I know Ukraine and Moldova wouldn't like them to become part of Russia, but better than having Russian troops romp through Ukraine, right? Though I could see it becoming Russias excuse to annex Ukraine.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:54 am »

If we want to stay in the post-soviet sphere, I would propose Saakashvilii as a corruption-fighter. And some of his actions were radical enough (such as firing the whole traffic police and re-hiring some of them). Although of course he was far from perfect in other aspects (like giving in to Russian-Ossetes provocation in Ossetia, repressing opposition protests etc etc), but he did make progress against corruption and generally greatly improved the country.
So I checked Saakashvilii.
http://rt.com/news/saakashvili-questioning-criminal-georgia-569/
Welp. So much for corruption-fighter.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: March 24, 2014, 02:59:48 am »

Well, political revenge for loosing the elections. Georgia still hasn't got the hang of peaceful transfer of power. Also I never said he was totally innocent (although I don't believe any of those spurious murder charge). Still, just go and look at transparency international reports: Georgia jumped from 133rd on the ranking to 55th during his time in office.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:02:32 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: March 24, 2014, 02:59:57 am »

Sergarr, Yep, he did good job. Now they try revenge... Unfortunately too many Soviet minded people threw Georgia few years back by electing an oligarch to be a new president....

Luckily it's temporary. What pleases my most that majority of young Georgians do not know Russian
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: March 24, 2014, 03:20:47 am »

To be honest, Sakashvilii sometime was his own worst enemy. He acted rash, and was somewhat authoritarian. His reforms made many people unhappy. Still the best president Georgia had since independence by far.

Also, this is a nice article about the mood in Kiev, for those that wonder what the rUkraine's up to now. Written by a friend of my dad, and his praise is endless.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:10 am »

I still can't understand why no resistance exists in Crimea. Either all local units are traitors\cowards or they got an order from a cowardly government. I think the later, because logic dictates that some of the units should have acted in a different way
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: March 24, 2014, 04:06:31 am »

Different how? Do you not allow for the possibility that they could be happy, or at least "not quite outraged" at this turn of events? Besides the question of legality of the takeover, the short-term tumultous period where the region switches from using Ukrainian to Russian infrastructure (which has already begun) and brief chaos of organizing local affairs, in what way will life be worse for the general public of Crimea?
(Merely "living under oppressive Russian rule" does not count. :p )
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:08:22 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 286