Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304490 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3075 on: March 19, 2014, 11:12:10 am »

Welp, time to get some Old Friends together, hustle up all the displaced Prussians and march back into Königsberg.
After all, there are still some ethnic germans left there last i looked and their german speaking is persecuted too, maybe the house of my great-grandfather still stands...
If we apply the same reasoning that's used with the Palestinians, roughly 100% of ethnically German Germans count as refugees by now. Me too! So yeah, let's take Könnigsberg (and give it back its proper name). The Poles might want their eastern territories back, too, and I'm sure some Polish people are being repressed...
What about Pomerania and Silesia? Danzig is Germany! :P
But Poland hasn't occupied Ukraine... Also, we kinda ceded all that land to Poland and Russia, and claiming that the Poles oppress their local German population would be a hard sell.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 19, 2014, 11:13:51 am »

Also, we kinda ceded all that land to Poland and Russia, and claiming that the Poles oppress their local German population would be a hard sell.

As Russia has shown though, you can completely ignore what your forebearers did and the treaties they signed when it serves your own political interests.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: March 19, 2014, 11:17:33 am »

yeah but the idea was more or less to show the russians an Eye for an Eye attitude and not going full on mental with reclaiming land. Just a bit "screw you russians if you can do it we can do it too and we can be even more annoying."

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 19, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

By the way, guys, I found the original Russian article about the 'expulsion' of Crimean Tatars at RIA Novosti's website. According to that article, Rustam Temirgaliev said that the land required for building infrastructure in and around Simferopol has been seized by Crimean Tatar squatters. They will be asked to free the territory, he said. He didn't state anything about forcing all Crimean Tatars in the peninsula to relocate elsewhere.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 19, 2014, 11:44:36 am »

By the way, guys, I found the original Russian article about the 'expulsion' of Crimean Tatars at RIA Novosti's website. According to that article, Rustam Temirgaliev said that the land required for building infrastructure in and around Simferopol has been seized by Crimean Tatar squatters. They will be asked to free the territory, he said. He didn't state anything about forcing all Crimean Tatars in the peninsula to relocate elsewhere.
Come on, Guardian, don't play dumb. "Infrastructure land seized by Tatar squatters"? I know you can read between the lines here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:48 am »

Come on, Guardian, don't play dumb. "Infrastructure land seized by Tatar squatters"? I know you can read between the lines here.
If my shaky knowledge of ethnic composition of the population of Crimea is correct, Simferopol isn't the only place where Crimean Tatars live. Or do you assume that if at least one Crimean Tatar is forced to move for whatever reason, then sooner or later Russia will deport every one of them?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:43 am »

If my shaky knowledge of ethnic composition of the population of Crimea is correct, Simferopol isn't the only place where Crimean Tatars live. Or do you assume that if at least one Crimean Tatar is forced to move for whatever reason, then sooner or later Russia will deport every one of them?
If Russia is going to start deportations, they have to begin somewhere. Not that it's sure that they will, but this shows a lack of tact at least as bad as that of the Ukrainian parliament with that language law.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 19, 2014, 12:10:25 pm »

Point One: "Squatters" being on land that "isn't theirs" is a pretty clear attempt to justify mass deportations, and I vaguely recall that it might have been used before, though dammed if I can't remember where.

Point Two: This is directed at the Tatars. Are you assuming that only the Tatars are squatting in Simferopol, if there is indeed such a problem?

Point Three: Russia kind of has a history when it comes to forced relocation in territories recently acquired through conquest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:22 pm »

Do you think they will all be deported through boats? There's not a land border between Crimea and Russia... yet.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 19, 2014, 12:19:07 pm »

I'm a bit surprised to see such bold moves (or still just statements at this time I suppose?) from the new government so soon.

By the way, is there anything else to this resettlement, like monetary embursenent if another area given to them that they can actually own legally, or is it just a straight deportation?

Given the military situation, I don't think Turkey would be able to enter unopposed, like how Russia went in...

Of course, I guess we can continue debating the validity of an unopposed and bloodless entry by 'armed self defense units who are obviously not Turks'.

Well, if one thinks the Russian actions to "protect Russians" were valid, then certainly a completely hypothetical Turkish invasion (that I agree won't happen) would be even more valid as it seems like the Crimtars are coming under actual oppression.

It's funny, I would've actually supported the Crim-Russians' right to self-determination of governing (the history as a particularly independent province just makes their case even more valid) if Russia hadn't invaded and the vote hadn't appeared so rushed and faked.
Love, scriver~

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 19, 2014, 12:51:53 pm »

Do you think they will all be deported through boats? There's not a land border between Crimea and Russia... yet.
They'll not deport them from Crimea. That is too much. They'll deport them to useless parts of Crimea
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:01 pm »

Lot of us would have.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 19, 2014, 01:21:18 pm »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:01 pm »

So apparently the sanctions are working.
Personally I think they're a joke. Come on, Russia invades and you don't even declare a partial embargo?
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 19, 2014, 01:25:22 pm »

Well, they're throwing a hissy fit, so it's doing something :P
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 286