Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304475 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3060 on: March 19, 2014, 09:12:38 am »

This is extremely not cool. I guess this was what happened in that video someone posted yesterday?
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović today expressed her outrage about the attack by a group of members of the Ukrainian political party “Svoboda”, including some members of Verkhovna Rada, on the acting President of National Television Company of Ukraine (NTU), forcing him to resign.

“I am appalled by this outrageous action, which goes against all media freedom values and cannot be tolerated,” Mijatović wrote in a letter to Oleksandr Turchinov, the acting President of Ukraine. “This is a particularly serious incident as some attackers not only represent the legislative branch of power, but also are members of the freedom of speech and information committee of the Parliament.”

On 18 March a group of individuals reportedly belonging to Ukrainian political party “Svoboda”, including some members of Verkhovna Rada, stormed the office of the acting President of the National Television Company of Ukraine, Aleksandr Panteleymonov, intimidated him and forced him to sign a resignation letter over allegations that his channel criticized “Svoboda” and aired anti-Ukrainian content. One of the attackers was identified as Igor Miroshnychenko, Deputy Head of the Parliament's Committee on Freedom of Speech and Information.

At least the election observer mission is already shaping up and will presumably not consist of a Moscow biker gang.
They forgot to wear brown uniforms and swastika armbands if they were trying to fit the Russian story. At least Tyahnybok isn't endorsing this, but seriously, Svoboda has got to go.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:41 am »

Sounds like the Crimean and Ukrainian situation is slowly becoming even more pear shaped than it has already gotten, if you get what I mean.

I don't know how, um, supportive (was gonna say fanatic, bit that's not the connotation I mean), Turkey is about their Crimean Tatar brethren, but depending on how things go, they could pull the same causus belli that Russia pulled.

They could invoke the treaty for the lulz and then grant Crimea independence, but given how much change both countries have gone through, it's validity is likely questionable.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:05:45 am by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:26 am »

Sounds like the Crimean and Ukrainian situation is slowly becoming even more pear shaped than it has already gotten, if you get what I mean.

I don't know how, um, supportive (was gonna say fanatic, bit that's not the connotation I mean), Turkey is about their Crimean Tatar brethren, but depending on how things go, they could pull the same causus belli that Russia pulled.

They could invoke the treaty for the lulz and then grant Crimea independence, but given how much change both countries have gone through, it's validity is likely questionable.

The validity of pretty much everything going on in Greater Ukraine is questionable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: March 19, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

Given the military situation, I don't think Turkey would be able to enter unopposed, like how Russia went in...

Of course, I guess we can continue debating the validity of an unopposed and bloodless entry by 'armed self defense units who are obviously not Turks'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: March 19, 2014, 10:29:11 am »

Welp, time to get some Old Friends together, hustle up all the displaced Prussians and march back into Königsberg.
After all, there are still some ethnic germans left there last i looked and their german speaking is persecuted too, maybe the house of my great-grandfather still stands...
If we apply the same reasoning that's used with the Palestinians, roughly 100% of ethnically German Germans count as refugees by now. Me too! So yeah, let's take Könnigsberg (and give it back its proper name). The Poles might want their eastern territories back, too, and I'm sure some Polish people are being repressed...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:05 am »

Welp, time to get some Old Friends together, hustle up all the displaced Prussians and march back into Königsberg.
After all, there are still some ethnic germans left there last i looked and their german speaking is persecuted too, maybe the house of my great-grandfather still stands...
If we apply the same reasoning that's used with the Palestinians, roughly 100% of ethnically German Germans count as refugees by now. Me too! So yeah, let's take Könnigsberg (and give it back its proper name). The Poles might want their eastern territories back, too, and I'm sure some Polish people are being repressed...
Don't forget the Native Americans.  They've got a bit of land to take back.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:22 am »

From Russia?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:40 am »

Given the military situation, I don't think Turkey would be able to enter unopposed, like how Russia went in...

Of course, I guess we can continue debating the validity of an unopposed and bloodless entry by 'armed self defense units who are obviously not Turks'.
Russia never really had to "go in". All the soldiers had to do was step out of their base.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 19, 2014, 10:37:47 am »

Lets throw in every repressed minority and native peoples around the world. Also, how far back in history should we go? The premise for Israel is over two thousand years old.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: March 19, 2014, 10:37:59 am »

But they did "go in" anyways, as a large portion of the soldiers in the country weren't there when this started, and they do still need to man those military bases.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:29 am »

There are plenty of people here in Finland who'd love to reclaim Karelia, Viipuri, Petsamo etc. - everything lost from 1939 onwards. This is more recent than most claims, even.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: March 19, 2014, 10:43:14 am »

Russia never really had to "go in". All the soldiers had to do was step out of their base.

There were 6,000 Russian soldiers in Crimea prior to this. Now there are 22,000+.

It's pretty amazing to me that a world leader can sit there and repeatedly tell bald faced lies that are contradicted by hundreds of hours of videos and interviews, and even his own soldiers, and there's nothing to do about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: March 19, 2014, 10:45:37 am »

Apparently another Ukrainian military base was attacked, haven't heard about people being injured though.

The US plans to station troops in the Baltic States, obviously both to guarantee their safety and as a bit of sabre-rattling of their own.

If we apply the same reasoning that's used with the Palestinians, roughly 100% of ethnically German Germans count as refugees by now. Me too!
Me too, definitely.

No way Turkey is doing anything on their own military-wise. They have a decisive stance on protecting the Crimean Tatars, but that's it.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:17 am »

What about Pomerania and Silesia? Danzig is Germany! :P
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 286