Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304506 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3045 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:02 am »

I hope that it wouldnt, because: a) war is terrible b) Ukrainian army (if alone) cannot match with our (suddenly) agressive neighbour, so it would lead us to same annexation, but burdened with hatred, corpses and destruction.
So you suggest to wait till Russian enter, disarm us and do whatever they want hoping that they'll be merciful?

It looks like our current government acts in the same way. Hope you like it
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:19:07 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: March 19, 2014, 06:01:46 am »

So uh, Crimean Tartars to be evicted from the land they're 'Illegally occupying" and to be peacefully resettled in new terretory in the region.
http://en.ria.ru/world/20140319/188544777/Crimean-Tatars-Will-Have-to-Vacate-Land--Official.html
What kind of reaction would be expected from this?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: March 19, 2014, 06:08:51 am »

Hey, look, who called me crazy for saying this would happen as soon as it can?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:46 am »

I hope that it wouldnt, because: a) war is terrible b) Ukrainian army (if alone) cannot match with our (suddenly) agressive neighbour, so it would lead us to same annexation, but burdened with hatred, corpses and destruction.
So you suggest to wait till Russian enter, disarm us and do whatever they want hoping that they'll be merciful?

It looks like our current government acts in the same way. Hope you like it

No, I am not suggesting anyone to anything,  and no, I'm not asking anyone to wait. I am sharing my view of situation, while not trying to provoke someone to actions, this is a bay12 community forum, after all, not the local resistance forum ).

I just hope that our government would gather some true support (something more influental than sanctions or just disagreement) before armed confrontation with enemy which exceeds us in terms of force (number of soldiers, their equipment and training quality, machines and so on). Else, as I said, we'll end with same foreign occupation perils multiplied by war perils. If it helps - all aforemention thoughts are IMHO. And, in case if it is unclear - no, I definitely dont want occupation of my country (nor region or even town) by foreigners.

BTW, I came without any offence to anyone person or opinion, just to calmly share some thoughts, gather viewpoints and see what people (especialy foreign) think about our situation. Definetely not to be attacked for just for expressing my thoughts.
Feed 'em please)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3049 on: March 19, 2014, 06:16:27 am »

So uh, Crimean Tartars to be evicted from the land they're 'Illegally occupying" and to be peacefully resettled in new terretory in the region.
http://en.ria.ru/world/20140319/188544777/Crimean-Tatars-Will-Have-to-Vacate-Land--Official.html

Well that's not good.
Though, it's important to note the old Ukrainian gov had land disputes with them as well, (which weren't settled).
It'll definitely make (more) headlines. Am more worried about local crazies using it as an excuse, personally.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: March 19, 2014, 06:20:48 am »

Lebensraum. One by one, the pieces fall into place.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: March 19, 2014, 06:26:29 am »

Though, it's important to note the old Ukrainian gov had land disputes with them as well, (which weren't settled).
Wrong. Ukrainian government had no land disputes with Tatars. Local Crimean government did and would  throw Crimean Tatars away much sooner if Crimean Tatars didn't have some support from Kyiv. Now with that gone all Crimean Tatars will be kicked out from all lands that have any value.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: March 19, 2014, 06:42:56 am »

So, can we expect Tatar insurgence now?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:28 am »

Insurgencies don't appear out of thin air. Insurgents need weapons and getting those aren't easy. So don't expect stuff blowing up in the the next few months. But it will appear I don't doubt it

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: March 19, 2014, 07:54:18 am »

Insurgencies don't appear out of thin air. Insurgents need weapons and getting those aren't easy. So don't expect stuff blowing up in the the next few months. But it will appear I don't doubt it
Well, you know. Unless Russia starts putting the Tatars in "temporary holding facilities" for "the mutual safety of the Crimean people".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:21 am »

Well, you know. Unless Russia starts putting the Tatars in "temporary holding facilities" for "the mutual safety of the Crimean people".
Giving Turkey the possibility to recycle the Russians' excuse for getting involved...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:32 am »

Welp, time to get some Old Friends together, hustle up all the displaced Prussians and march back into Königsberg.
After all, there are still some ethnic germans left there last i looked and their german speaking is persecuted too, maybe the house of my great-grandfather still stands...

i wonder if russia would either leave Crimea if we pulled it, would really hand over Eastern Prussia or if jus ton the next day german proteters would look into the barrels of some Russian Tanks.

EDIT: sorry i just noticed that there are more Ukrainians and Tatars in there, maybe the Ukrainian Government should play a little bit of "an eye for an eye".
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:28:40 am by Ghazkull »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45:03 am »

EDIT: sorry i just noticed that there are more Ukrainians and Tatars in there, maybe the Ukrainian Government should play a little bit of "an eye for an eye".
Heh. You can leave Königsberg for yourself.

There are quite a lot of ethnic Ukrainians in oil\gas rich areas of Siberia.... And Russia has zero Ukrainian schools (not counting some private ones)
Official Russian census claims that there are only 2 millions of ethnic Ukrainians but I say that it is a total bullshit. 5-10 if not 15 millions is a much more realistic number.

It is a shameless hypocrisy to talk about persecutions of Russian speakers in Ukraine when ethnic rights of Ukrainians in Russia are ignored
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:48:43 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: March 19, 2014, 08:48:21 am »

This is extremely not cool. I guess this was what happened in that video someone posted yesterday?
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović today expressed her outrage about the attack by a group of members of the Ukrainian political party “Svoboda”, including some members of Verkhovna Rada, on the acting President of National Television Company of Ukraine (NTU), forcing him to resign.

“I am appalled by this outrageous action, which goes against all media freedom values and cannot be tolerated,” Mijatović wrote in a letter to Oleksandr Turchinov, the acting President of Ukraine. “This is a particularly serious incident as some attackers not only represent the legislative branch of power, but also are members of the freedom of speech and information committee of the Parliament.”

On 18 March a group of individuals reportedly belonging to Ukrainian political party “Svoboda”, including some members of Verkhovna Rada, stormed the office of the acting President of the National Television Company of Ukraine, Aleksandr Panteleymonov, intimidated him and forced him to sign a resignation letter over allegations that his channel criticized “Svoboda” and aired anti-Ukrainian content. One of the attackers was identified as Igor Miroshnychenko, Deputy Head of the Parliament's Committee on Freedom of Speech and Information.

At least the election observer mission is already shaping up and will presumably not consist of a Moscow biker gang.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: March 19, 2014, 09:11:33 am »

Lebensraum. One by one, the pieces fall into place.

More like taking a page, or even an entire chapter right out of US history with relocating Native Americans to reservations. Which is exactly what it looks and sounds like to me.

This might be cause enough for Turkey to try and intervene on the behalf of Crimean Tatars.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:51:32 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 286