Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304632 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2970 on: March 18, 2014, 02:27:31 pm »

(I removed something that had gotten out of hand.  I'm going to let it slide punishment-wise since I know things are tense, but I'm not going to tolerate a repeat, so please keep it under control.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »

I must say Comrade P., I've not seen any report of mass desertions outside Russian medias (except for some individual soldiers being pressured into surrendering by large Russian contingent). Since several of those report (including the one about the Frigate) turned out to be false, I'm not inclined to believe them at all.

Okay, I understand  that I just got pumped up with our propaganda. I do not know what is really going on in Crimea right now. I'm sorry if I got too annoying and abusive with my words and opinions. But I sincerely believe that the situation is going to become stable, for Russia has no other goals in Ukraine. Even Crimea wasn't a goal, but since they asked themselves for help. Or even if they didn't, it seems that no further escalation comes now from Russia. In reions of eastern Ukraine, Russians are truly minorities, and in the case of referendum (which is much less likely than in Crimea, I think) no chance the seceding proposals get enough votes.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 18, 2014, 02:38:01 pm »

Well, OK, I'll keep things (mostly) to myself from now on. Just wanted to say that if there are two parties in conflict, and only one is ready to go to war, this party will always win the confrontation, no matter what. Keep that in mind, people from the West. Because next time Poland may not be enough of a buffer.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:33 pm »

Well, OK, I'll keep things (mostly) to myself from now on. Just wanted to say that if there are two parties in conflict, and only one is ready to go to war, this party will always win the confrontation, no matter what. Keep that in mind, people from the West. Because next time Poland may not be enough of a buffer.

Russian troops aren't mobilized. They are not concentrated around EU borders even. You call that ready to war?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: March 18, 2014, 02:49:39 pm »

Russian troops aren't mobilized. They are not concentrated around EU borders even. You call that ready to war?
If Russian government isn't that fucking stupid yet they won't repeat same mistake as in ww2. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

If Russian government isn't that fucking stupid yet they won't repeat same mistake as in ww2. 

Putin is smart enough to know that it would be suicide to invade Estonia and Lithuania, both NATO members.  The most he could do is to rattle them by doing military exersizes near their borders, but he hasn't shown any interest in doing so.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 18, 2014, 02:57:17 pm »

He might very well be content with Crimea, at least for now. As a success it gives him a big reputation boost at home, and increases Russia's standing internationally from a Power Projection standpoint. Assuming things don't spiral out of control on their own, I could see him focusing on just solidifying that victory for now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 18, 2014, 03:01:46 pm »

Putin is smart enough to know that it would be suicide to invade Estonia and Lithuania, both NATO members.  The most he could do is to rattle them by doing military exersizes near their borders, but he hasn't shown any interest in doing so.
EU wouldn't do anything if he did invade my country, probably only Poland would save us. Some people are seriously afraid of getting invaded for the 5th or so times already. Also I think Russia did some military exercises in Baltic sea already or still doing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:54 pm »

We would have to. Legally speaking.

Anyway, I really feel like we should work on a EU army and better defense integration. Not only would that save tons on money, but it would make it easier to reassure the Baltic people. Also, I think we should station a "tripwire" of various NATO troops there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 18, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqHeZUS9_EY
We'll show those fascists and their Judeo Masonic masters their place!

IS it just me, or are some of the pro-Russian groups a bit... fuzzy... on who exactly their enemy is?

Anyway, it's pretty interesting to actually here direct quotes from the pro-russian groups.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 18, 2014, 03:20:04 pm »

So apparently the Ottoman Empire Turkey wants Crimea too now
Yeah, I heard about that treaty.

It would be amusing if Crimean Tatar defense units suddenly appear armed with this this and this
All that can be purchased in Ukrainian general stores.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2982 on: March 18, 2014, 03:21:19 pm »

Umm, guys, hold on to your butts, cause things are about to get ugly. I've heard reports that the Ukrainian Minister of Defense just authorized the use of leathal force for the troops in Crimea.

Just how much of Ukraine's military capital is in Crimea?
And any word on where those extra 20k russian troops were deployed?

If it's a significant chunk, (more than 5-10%), I won't be surprised to hear about a breakout attempt in the next few days. Perhaps before the 21st, in spite of their agreement, (wouldn't count on Russia's word if I were them..). It really depends on how much of their men & equipment could feasibly escape, (and if the alternative loss of equipment is unbearable).

On the NATO, I let my fingers run about that a few score pages back. Rather than repeat it, here's where that started.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 18, 2014, 03:37:58 pm »

Someone tell me this isn't real, and that Svobada is NOT this stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c6eYId4fPE

I'm beginning to think things are honestly going to get a lot worse. Protests in kiev appear to be starting back up as well?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:42 pm »

BTW, Turkey is very important player in the crisis
1) It has a Crimean Tatar minority
2) It's army is stronger than Russian (minus nuclear weapons)
3) It has economic interests in the region
4) Noticeable part of Russian export goes through Bosporus
5) Erdogan needs to fix his own popularity

_____
Someone tell me this isn't real, and that Svobada is NOT this stupid.
Unfortunately it is true... I am used for stupid moves but that one.... It is like working for Russian propaganda
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 286