Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304594 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2955 on: March 18, 2014, 12:06:26 pm »

According to Reuters, a Ukrainian army base in Simferopol has been attacked. Russian soldiers are suspected.

I guess that cease-fire deal signed earlier wasn't worth much. One Ukrainian soldier reported killed now after their base was stormed by soldiers without insignia. Russian media claims there was a sniper shooting at "self-defence-forces".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: March 18, 2014, 12:06:59 pm »

Wow.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: March 18, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »

According to Reuters, a Ukrainian army base in Simferopol has been attacked. Russian soldiers are suspected.

I guess that cease-fire deal signed earlier wasn't worth much. One Ukrainian soldier reported killed now after their base was stormed by soldiers without insignia. Russian media claims there was a sniper shooting at "self-defence-forces".

Reported by Polish media as well, and we're not exactly Team Russia.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: March 18, 2014, 12:28:01 pm »

It's not really clear what happened. Reportedly one soldier was killed and two may be injured. Journalists claim they heard bursts of automatic fire, but they were prevented to enter the base by pro-Russian troops. The Ukrainian Ministry of Defense claims passports, money and weapons of the Ukrainian soldiers were confiscated.

Even if this was not somehow planned, incidents like this could escalate the situation really bad.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: March 18, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »

Umm, guys, hold on to your butts, cause things are about to get ugly. I've heard reports that the Ukrainian Minister of Defense just authorized the use of leathal force for the troops in Crimea.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:45 pm »

Umm, guys, hold on to your butts, cause things are about to get ugly. I've heard reports that the Ukrainian Minister of Defense just authorized the use of leathal force for the troops in Crimea.

Uhm. Please point at any Ukrainian trooper in Crimea that would do that.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: March 18, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »

Right, that seems unlikely. The problem is, it seems they are arresting the Ukrainian soldiers, presumably to send them to Ukraine. If there is some kind of incident where someone one either side loses it and starts firing...

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »

Right, that seems unlikely. The problem is, it seems they are arresting the Ukrainian soldiers, presumably to send them to Ukraine. If there is some kind of incident where someone one either side loses it and starts firing...
Well, our media says that Ukrainian soldiers are kept inside their bases and were only allowed to come out to participate in referendum, and some just flee to serve in Russian military afterwards.

I do not claim it is true, but it is what our media says. Actually, today most of the media was broadcasting Putin's speech.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »

Well, IIRC you said that all Ukrainian units in Crimea will switch sides in the next few days and mocked me with Ukrainian flagship that "raised Russian flag"

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »

Well, IIRC you said that all Ukrainian units in Crimea will switch sides in the next few days and mocked me with Ukrainian flagship that "raised Russian flag"
Well, most of them did. But in some particular bases autorities were not so pro-russian like their soldiers, so, they were just sitting there. And for now, they still do. Some soldiers try just try to resign, but that doesn't work for conscripts, only for those who work by contract. And I still believe that by the end of integration of Crimea all of them would switch sides.

On an unrelated note:

Fun fact: sanctions on russian politicians were meant to arrest their US/EU property and actives. A year ago, a law in Russia was set, prohibiting politicians and government workers to have any actives out of Russia. So, they're, like, helping us a bit.

Another fun fact: presidents' assistant claimed today that he's fine with sanctions that US declared against him, for he has no actives in US. In fact, he said, he is a bit proud - being a person on US black list is something like an political Oscar for best man's role of second plan.
Sigs

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: March 18, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »

Lol
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »

Well, most of them did.
Only in Russian media. Yep, local police and secret service switched instantly but there are very few defections among army, navy and border guards

But in some particular bases autorities were not so pro-russian like their soldiers
Who said you that soldiers are pro-Russian? Oh, Russian media

And I still believe that by the end of integration of Crimea all of them would switch sides.
All of them? Are you that sure that no single unit will remain loyal?

Here are one video for you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1JotTcryPY  It is mostly in Russian.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:26 pm »

A friend of mine in Dnipropetrovsk says her 57 year old father is preparing to volunteer for the army.. Scary stuff going on.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:35 pm »

The sanctions so far aren't really. To be meaningful it'll have to be something that's bound to hurt back, and the various governments are reluctant about that. Like how France is considering cancelling the Mistral deal.. That makes me really sad since that deal seemed like a sign the us vs them mentality was dying down.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: March 18, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »

(responding to deleted post)

BlindKitty, it remains to be seen if we'll see a guerrilla war in Crimea... That really depends on how Crimean Tatars will be treated and how bad economic situation there will be. As for far-right volunteer forces from Europe... I think it will happen only in the case of full-scale invasion in Ukraine and will be merely symbolic

As for Ukrainian armed forces, now units there have no chance to actually fight. Yes, in the first days we could wipe Russian forces out simply because they had no heavy armor nor heavy artillery, only light troops. That would lead to many civilian causalities and not winnable full-scale war on the Eastern border, but very few Russians would remain alive in Crimea. Our dove government  decided against that and probably it was a right decision

Now it's late, they brought more forces and heavy weaponry here... Now our forces need to be evacuated and that is not an easy task. Russian want to "nationalize"(read steal) all Ukrainian military hardware stationed in Crimea to use it against us in attacking on the mainland Ukraine (Now or few years later... It's hard to say)
I'd really prefer if our current government would order our troops to do what surrounded troops should do - start a breakthrough to the friendly territory, blowing up\disabling everything that can't be evacuated but chances of orders like that are close to zero

They do not want to escalate the conflict, that is clear.
Yes, any sane person doesn't want to start a fight. But doesn't want not the same as isn't ready
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:25:48 pm by Toady One »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 286