Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304590 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2925 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:38 pm »

There's lot of opposition to that, thanks to americans playing cowboys world police around the globe. The only one who can push Finland to NATO is the Democratically Elected President of Democratic Russia. He is doing good job at it, maybe we should give him some kind of award?
Ironically, one of the changes this whole thing might bring is that it has the potential to unite both the EU internally and the EU with the US, in times when these relationships were quite strained. Putin is indeed bringing peace and unity by turning back the clock 30 years. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, he is already nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
That's is. Putin is in fact the good guy and has been so all along! His only goal is to unite the globe into a peaceful coalition, like the UN were intended to be, but he knows that the only way to do so is to unite the world against an evil emperor. Since Best Korea is far from credible enough, and Crazy Iran failed despite his backup, Putin decided to martyr himself and pose as the Evil Emperor the free world need to unite against! [/1amsarcasm]

Seriously though, if the situation diplomatically escalate to CWII and the West manage a lasting, deeper unity, Putin deserves that peace nobel.
Or IgNobel at the very least.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:02 pm »

Not like Finland absolutely HAS to join into whatever the US is doing.
Tell that to the american politicians who cry out for invading defending themselves against Iran/Pakistan/North Korea/whatever next time there is terrorist attack on USA. Most people here just don't want to have anything to do with that.

Edit:
To be fair, only the Flemish refuses to speak French. We refuse to learn it. :p
This reminds me of my current EU3 game where all former Flemish now speak either portuguese or English.

Oh? then don't come crying to us for help if you get attacked by terrorists, or Russia for that matter!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: March 17, 2014, 07:09:36 pm »

It's easy to win CWII. Stop supplying Iphones to Russia and Putin will be overthrown as soon as  a new model appears
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:54 pm »

That's forcing guys like them to use Ukrainian is what they call persecution
Wait... They know both languages decently at least and refuses to use the other one when asked. And they call that persecution???

Holy fuck. Here I'm lucky to find anyone with decent Swedish. Here there be hate-speeches, death threats, racism and right-wing nationalists. Here it's a constant struggle to maintain the state language status of Swedish. Even more so with the True Finns gaining more popularity.

Welp, I guess we just have to invade then. Target all Baltic Party Boats on Helsinki! Bring in the Drunk Legions! We will drown them below waves and waves of pissed 50-somethings behaving embarrassingly inappropriate for their age!
Love, scriver~

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:00 pm »

It's easy to win CWII. Stop supplying Iphones to Russia and Putin will be overthrown as soon as  a new model appears
That's against the very idea of free market! Next you'll probably propose to distribute the Iphones equally between all people!  ;)
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: March 17, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »

That's forcing guys like them to use Ukrainian is what they call persecution
Wait... They know both languages decently at least and refuses to use the other one when asked. And they call that persecution???

Holy fuck. Here I'm lucky to find anyone with decent Swedish. Here there be hate-speeches, death threats, racism and right-wing nationalists. Here it's a constant struggle to maintain the state language status of Swedish. Even more so with the True Finns gaining more popularity.

Welp, I guess we just have to invade then. Target all Baltic Party Boats on Helsinki! Bring in the Drunk Legions! We will drown them below waves and waves of pissed 50-somethings behaving embarrassingly inappropriate for their age!
I still think we should make Mallorca the 17th Bundesland. "While everybody was watching Crimea, Merkel acted swiftly and resolutely. Und so wuchs zusammen, was zusammengehört..."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: March 18, 2014, 01:20:19 am »

The Finno-Swede minority constitutes only 5% of the population, and still has driven through mandatory Swedish education, bilingual signs, channels, services, etc., and you call that persecution? I'm no PS supporter, and that these systems fail in practice sucks, but come on.

And before scriver jumps in to defend Glorious Mother Sweden, learn perfect Finnish so you're not 'persecuting' those poor Swedish Finns with your insufficient grasp of the language.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: March 18, 2014, 02:09:34 am »

Hah. A lot of people are switching to Samsung here anyway. Better software catalog, less oppressive marketing model, lower prices. Plus Android>iOS. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:00 am »

The Finno-Swede minority constitutes only 5% of the population, and still has driven through mandatory Swedish education, bilingual signs, channels, services, etc., and you call that persecution? I'm no PS supporter, and that these systems fail in practice sucks, but come on.

And before scriver jumps in to defend Glorious Mother Sweden, learn perfect Finnish so you're not 'persecuting' those poor Swedish Finns with your insufficient grasp of the language.

Hey now, that hurts. I would never defend those oppressive barbarians! I'm Geat, remember? We have a blood debt to settle with the Swedish imperialists.

On more serious note, it's wasn't about "learning perfect Swedish" he was complaining about, it was not being able to get government papers in it. Which Finns in Sweden are entitled to as well, you know, and it's just as bad if they can't get them.

I'm all for forcing all Finns to learn Swedish though, because the fialift is mad adorbes :P
Love, scriver~

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: March 18, 2014, 04:17:26 am »

Hah. A lot of people are switching to Samsung here anyway. Better software catalog, less oppressive marketing model, lower prices. Plus Android>iOS. ^_^
In Belarus, HTC and Huawei phones are also popular - and they are made by Chinese companies (HTC is from Taiwan, Huawei is from mainland China). No one except 'creative' hipsters (which constitute a very small minority of the population) would suffer much from an iPhone embargo, both here and in Russia.

The recent news are:

RT's Youtube account was banned for being totalitarian Kremlin twats allegedly because of a glitch.
According to RIA Novosti, the State Duma, the lower house of the Russian parliament, unanimously passed a declaration urging America and the EU to apply asset freezes and travel bans against them in solidarity with the sanctioned Russian officials. Plus, it will help Russia enforce the law that forbids owning foreign assets for all Russian officials.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:22:16 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: March 18, 2014, 05:30:59 am »

Interesting are there any other army in the world that is partially funded by SMSes? Because in Ukraine we  are doing exactly that :D 
There are TV advertisements to send $0.5 worth SMS for the needs of the armed forces.

I think the next step is crowdfunding campaigns in Internet.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: March 18, 2014, 05:31:51 am »

I wonder what the stretch goals on Kickstarter will be.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: March 18, 2014, 05:51:33 am »

It is funny, but I think small-scale army related kickstarter style projects would work fine
Army can offer various stuff as rewards, ranging from your own uniform and one day visit to a military base to your own out of service APC.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: March 18, 2014, 06:03:46 am »

Well, prices might have changed since then but when i was in the army, my sort of APC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puma_armored_engineering_vehicle) without gear cost ~20M USD (and that's cheap considering the vehicle is a modified one and not a brand new model), so that would have to be a really successful kickstarter.

When my friend lost all of his gear, he was trialed for ~7M USD. he was found guilty and had to pay a fine of ~100 USD.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:41 am »

I wonder what the stretch goals on Kickstarter will be.

100$: Get an authentic army experience! Your very own uniform, bunk, and rifle. Russians to shoot not included. Following the commands of the officers is prerequisite to receiving the prize.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 286