Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304755 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2730 on: March 16, 2014, 03:59:15 pm »

I would have posted this in the happy thread, but I dislike people who take politics out of the politics threads. I said I would watch and wait, and it looks like I've saved myself a whole lot of blab.

As for the benefits of this whole affair - foreign relations may have taken a hit, but the popularity of the government and national morale in general has improved tremendously. I have never liked my country's politicians much, but I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised that my government has taken measures to protect and support the place where my family lives. As such, I don't think any further military intervention is required, because with the retarded way the new government of Ukraine has been going about business, it'll fall apart all by itself in short order. And then everybody in Ukraine can see for themselves the benefits of eurointegration. We had one in Russia - mom still tells frightening tales about there being no bread in shops for weeks, and the river vale in front of my house still has all those little plots of land where people - people in Moscow, mind you - used to grow potatoes to feed themselves.

Now the Tatars. Tatar genocide by Russians is a fucking ridiculous idea. First of all, the Tatars in Crimea are far better organized than the Russians. They are not frightened little lambs - they're people who can make others respect them with force. Back in the nineties, they used to evict people from premises because apparently, the bones of their ancestors lie in the foundations, and move in. If anyone tries anything against them, they will give us the guerilla war that UR has been so loftily blabbing about before. This leads smoothly into my second point. Those times are long past. The Tatar and Russian populations of Crimea have been living in peace for twenty years. My grandfather's institute has plenty of Tatar scientists. A lot of Crimean Russians are half- or quarter-Tatar. We're all buddy-buddy. Third, Ukrainians whining about the rights of Tatars are starting to piss me off, because the Ukrainian government has been stepping all over those for the whole period of Ukrainian occupation (this is the word I will use: it was one. I was there, I know.), with the exception of short periods when it needed them to counterweigh the Russian population. Tatar support for Ukraine (already negligible - where's the boycott we were promised?) will fade quickly, because Russia can give them and their language and culture long-term rights and privileges as a sovereign people, unlike the government of Ukraine, which is only interested in the rights of Ukrainians - make that right Ukrainians.

All in all, you guys may say whatever you want (make no mistake, I love you all, it's just that you don't know shit about Crimea, Russia, Ukraine, or anything east of Tallin), and I will live and work in the homeland of my father. It looks like it will need me in the upcoming period.

P.S. As for provocations, I wonder whose train full of soldiers and military hardware was recently stopped in Donetsk. It wasn't mine for sure, this I know.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: March 16, 2014, 04:02:10 pm »

What, you mean you DON'T have a military regiment of your own, or just that you didn't deploy it? If the former, sir, I am disappoint. How did you circumvent the Submit Your Regiment's ID part of forum registration?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 16, 2014, 04:05:49 pm »

Can you tell us more about what you call the Ukrainian occupation?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: March 16, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »

We haven't seen such a new year, as we are having here now. We are all drunk and happy :D

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: March 16, 2014, 04:14:50 pm »

We haven't seen such a new year, as we are having here now. We are all drunk and happy :D
I look at the ongoing events and the escalating Russo-Western conflict with a little bit of worry. If WW3 begins, I'll be conscripted into the army once general mobilization is announced, unlike many of you Western folks.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: March 16, 2014, 04:17:35 pm »

It's just going to be fun pulling up most of these posts next time something similar like this happens. Hope you guys are atleast consistent in your support for illegal occupations and annexation.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: March 16, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

-snip-
Heh, the German army is shite - if we ever need to deploy large amounts of people, conscription willl come back faster than a fighter jet. I might be able to get around it, but most won't. You can't fight a large scale war without conscription nowadays.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 16, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »

And then everybody in Ukraine can see for themselves the benefits of eurointegration. We had one in Russia - mom still tells frightening tales about there being no bread in shops for weeks, and the river vale in front of my house still has all those little plots of land where people - people in Moscow, mind you - used to grow potatoes to feed themselves.
Eurointegration has very little to with both of these really.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: March 16, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

... y'know, it's sorta' been bothering me. If it does come down to conventional warfare, why would it be WW3? Russia seems to be pissing off or cutting ties with pretty much everyone, not just the west. If things do go hot, what coalition is going to follow the belligerent nation into the fire, especially considering most other non-western powers have serious economic ties with western ones? Russia seems to think it can weather the almost certainly incoming recession that's going to come from pissing all over international diplomacy, but why would anyone else want to follow them down that path?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: March 16, 2014, 04:28:21 pm »

You know, UR, it is strange to hear your country being compared with nazi Germany by a man who has a revolutionary-nationalist government.

It's so tiring when people say stuff like that. The Ukrainian government is not a revolutionary nationalist government. They are not Pravy Sektor and they are not even Svoboda, given that Svoboda are very minor partners in the coalition.

The Ukrainian government are Liberals with pro-Ukrainian sympathies. That means they advocate the promotion of the Ukrainian language over Russian as the sole official language, and want to promote Ukrainian culture and so on and so forth. They are, however, fundamentally Liberal in the European sense, but quite socially Conservative given their opposition to gay marriage etc. They stand for the old pro-Ukrainian oligarchy more than anything else.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:30:03 pm by Owlbread »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: March 16, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »

Can you tell us more about what you call the Ukrainian occupation?
Sure as heck. The most noticeable aspect was that everything state- beginning with voting bulletins and ending with nameplates on schools and hospitals - got converted into Ukrainian. Russian in schools was demoted to secondary language - that in a region where 90+% of the population speaks it - and Ukrainian was instated in its place. The grammar of this wondrous language used to change from year to year, because apparently, the folks up Kiev way couldn't decide which way was more Ukrainian. The TV constantly blared that Russia this and Russia that, Russia eats children and rapes honest Ukrainian cattle, which is the oldest and most advanced cattle in the world - this in a region where 70% of the population self-identifies as Russian. All the funds those folks spent on Crimea went into anti-Russian propaganda - my grandfather's house used to have hot water for two hours in the morning, and one in the evening for twenty years. Every single billboard bore the face of some fat-ass western politician, not one of which was interested in Crimean well-being. Research institutes were closed and no shit ever got done. My grandfather is one of the people who created the geological map of Crimea - he's the chief geologist. He has been reduced to selling his old work to a bunch of thieves, who have gotten his institute shut. That's what it was like. And through all this, the bastards in the west - those same bastards who are now in government - told us that we were not "nationally conscious" enough, and that we needed to be more loyal to our country. Fuck them. We are.

It's just going to be fun pulling up most of these posts next time something similar like this happens. Hope you guys are atleast consistent in your support for illegal occupations and annexation.
I hope you are consistent in your support for gangs of nationalist bandits and one-culture states. Eat your heart out: I have lived in Crimea and I will live there again. You never have and never will, and yet you talk so much, one might think you're an expert.

What, you mean you DON'T have a military regiment of your own, or just that you didn't deploy it? If the former, sir, I am disappoint. How did you circumvent the Submit Your Regiment's ID part of forum registration?
If I had one, someone - let's not point fingers - would have noticed that by now. It's good that I don't, because that would have been unwise from a political standpoint.

You know, UR, it is strange to hear your country being compared with nazi Germany by a man who has a revolutionary-nationalist government.

It's so tiring when people say stuff like that. The Ukrainian government is not a revolutionary nationalist government. They are not Pravy Sektor and they are not even Svoboda, given that Svoboda are very minor partners in the coalition.

The Ukrainian government are Liberals with pro-Ukrainian sympathies. That means they advocate the promotion of the Ukrainian language over Russian as the sole official language, and want to promote Ukrainian culture and so on and so forth. They are, however, fundamentally Liberal in the European sense, but quite socially Conservative given their opposition to gay marriage etc. They stand for the old pro-Ukrainian oligarchy more than anything else.

And that's good how? The Ukrainian oligarchy doesn't care for anything but its pockets, and the only "liberal" thing they're gonna do is promote laws that benefit those pockets. It's like the nineties all over again. You know, people here were enthusiastic about the Soviet Union falling, being friends and all with the West - and then it turned out it wasn't going to feed them. It isn't going to feed Ukraine either. And the people who suffer will not be the oligarchs.

Brb, sleep.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:37:35 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: March 16, 2014, 04:37:38 pm »

... y'know, it's sorta' been bothering me. If it does come down to conventional warfare, why would it be WW3? Russia seems to be pissing off or cutting ties with pretty much everyone, not just the west. If things do go hot, what coalition is going to follow the belligerent nation into the fire, especially considering most other non-western powers have serious economic ties with western ones? Russia seems to think it can weather the almost certainly incoming recession that's going to come from pissing all over international diplomacy, but why would anyone else want to follow them down that path?
I think the WWIII comes more from the fear of atomic annihilation, rather than a world wide war.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: March 16, 2014, 04:38:49 pm »

It's just going to be fun pulling up most of these posts next time something similar like this happens. Hope you guys are at least consistent in your support for illegal occupations and annexation.

And you are an ever-right politically correct and the only adequate person here, aren't you?

Plus, legality of Crimean annexation is under heavy debate all along. And not just on forums.

Okay. One thing I really missed - the Right Sector (or Pravy Sector, whatever you like) and current government are not the same guys. But the Right Sector is nationalist. I now recall that guy who was interviewed by BBC on Maidan (link was posted here earlier) - the one who said "One nation, one country, one leader. No, we won't do like Hitler, well, not like, maybe just a bit..."

Feelin' myself stupid each time Avis posts.  :(
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: March 16, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »

Yes, the Right sector is nationalistic, and not even a tiny bit. It's an openly right wing nationalistic populistic organizations, probably with subgroups with fascistic tendencies. Still, the point remains that it's not them who got into the government.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »

Fortunately, Right Sector seems content to sit back and play ball in fair politics so long as Ukraine remains sovereign. I don't think I want to see what they'd do if Putin threatened that. though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 286