Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305026 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2550 on: March 12, 2014, 06:42:45 pm »

...Sooner or later Russians will start a bloodbath...
Need further explaining?
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: March 12, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »

One of these days Ukraine should just invade the Ukrainian majority parts of Green Ukraine in eastern Siberia and form self defence militias.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 12, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »

Need further explaining?
Wouldn't this statement have to be coming from someone from "The West" in order for it to lead to the Russians thinking "The West" is out to get them?

I honestly don't understand.

In other news, apparently this isn't actually all that popular a situation in Russia, not like we've been lead to believe. Polling indicates 73% of the population are opposed, with the only regions actually majority supporting Russian intervention in Crimea and the Ukraine being... Moscow and St.Petersburg.

http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=114720.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: March 12, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »

Need further explaining?
Yep, Russians are very peaceful nation and always were.... They don't deny genocides done by them, they don't glorify guys who did those genocides, they have no imperialists in government, and their government doesn't practice hate inducing propaganda.

One of these days Ukraine should just invade the Ukrainian majority parts of Green Ukraine in eastern Siberia and form self defence militias.
I bet that China will be there first...

Besides we don't need Siberia. I'll be fully satisfied with former Ukrainian parts of Russia as seen on that
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)
For guys with no sense of humor: it is a joke
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 12, 2014, 07:50:41 pm »

So there are some Russian news about the impending provocation from the Right Sector near airport Melitopol'... Have not found the english-speaking sources yet. http://www.regnum.ru/news/polit/1777366.html <=== Russian source
._.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: March 12, 2014, 08:13:08 pm »

Sergarr, I'm still interested in understanding how scared non-Westerners assuming the worst is supposed to make Russia think the West is out to get them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: March 12, 2014, 08:27:05 pm »

"If you're afraid of something, you'll want to destroy it"
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: March 12, 2014, 08:30:10 pm »

So there are some Russian news about the impending provocation from the Right Sector near airport Melitopol'... Have not found the english-speaking sources yet. http://www.regnum.ru/news/polit/1777366.html <=== Russian source
I looked into that a bit. I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian and Google Translate cruelly butchers your language, but I think I understand enough.
Basically the article says a group called Anonymous Ukraine hacked emails from a US military attache and a Ukrainian official, who planned to stage an attack on an airport and blame it on Russia. Regnum has been accused of having a pro-Russian bias several times in the past, according to wikipedia (both English and Russian).
I haven't seen an English-speaking news-site reporting it, except this one (which is hilarious BTW, they have proof that Michelle Obama is a man). They had a link to the documents however. There is also this.
Frankly I think this is fake.

Checking sources is always a good idea, likewise with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkfpGCAAuw
It rehashes stuff we have already discussed, just from a blame-the-US angle. If you look at their other videos, it's mostly conspiracy theory crap, like "The Trayvon Martin case was overblown by the media to distract the public from the US police state killing civilians in the Middle East". What You're Not Being Told? For starters, the news or stuff that really happens.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: March 12, 2014, 08:32:12 pm »

"If you're afraid of something, you'll want to destroy it"
That's... still kind of confusing? From what I understand of GG's understanding, it's like saying the chinese (in this case, ukrainians) are scared of russia and so russia thinks the west is trying to eat them. Which is, like... that's got to be leaving something out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: March 12, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »

Oh, right. UR was the agent of the West because of his agenda in this thread.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: March 12, 2014, 08:42:42 pm »

In other news, apparently this isn't actually all that popular a situation in Russia, not like we've been lead to believe. Polling indicates 73% of the population are opposed, with the only regions actually majority supporting Russian intervention in Crimea and the Ukraine being... Moscow and St.Petersburg.

Please don't take russian media statistics at face value. They have known to be extremely flexible in the past, and the majority of rural Russia is a very avid Putin supporter, as far as I know from personal experience.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: March 12, 2014, 08:54:22 pm »

Please don't take russian media statistics at face value. They have known to be extremely flexible in the past, and the majority of rural Russia is a very avid Putin supporter, as far as I know from personal experience.
Actually I think GlyphGryph misunderstood the poll. It was about whether Russia should intervene in Ukraine (before there were troops in Crimea) on the side of the Yanukovych government, which 73% opposed. The other question was whether such protests would be possible in Russia, which 75% did not believe, except in Moscow and St. Petersburg, where it was only 64%.
That's what I figure from google translation.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:13 pm »

Only speaking English, my ability to correctly portray the things in my link is... weak, at best, and I can do nothing to determine the actual reliability, really.

I wonder what a (good) study would reveal for support levels now, though?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:46:53 am by GlyphGryph »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: March 12, 2014, 09:22:34 pm »

My guess is that a majority is ok with the intervention in Crimea. An outright war with Ukraine would probably be unpopular. If it looks like defending Russians against fascists, that might be different. That's at least my impression from what I've read.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:26 pm »

Actually I think GlyphGryph misunderstood the poll. It was about whether Russia should intervene in Ukraine (before there were troops in Crimea) on the side of the Yanukovych government, which 73% opposed. The other question was whether such protests would be possible in Russia, which 75% did not believe, except in Moscow and St. Petersburg, where it was only 64%.
That's what I figure from google translation.
That's absolutely correct.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 286