Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304898 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2520 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »

It has been established the Estonian FM didn't understand what the doctor said though. She never looked at Berkut's injuries.

I wish they'd wait for the elections to sign the association agreement. It is a really significant step, the government that sign it should be totally legitimate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: March 12, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »

I wish they'd wait for the elections to sign the association agreement. It is a really significant step, the government that sign it should be totally legitimate.
Agreed, the timing is not good. I guess they're doing it both as a signal to Russia and as a part of the efforts to prevent bankruptcy, with giving Ukraine some trade benefits.
First part of the agreement is going to be signed next week, shortly after the Crimea referendum.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:27:53 pm by XXSockXX »

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: March 12, 2014, 02:30:22 pm »

Plus, there's layers of deception. Might as well be the old gov't pretending to fake gov't aggression as protesters.

All police riffles are databased. Considering all databases are in hands of the new government, they could trace all bullets, that killed protesters, back to police riffles.
But it has not been done. There is no investigation.
http://rt.com/news/pace-probe-snipers-kiev-358/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:32:15 pm by ivze »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: March 12, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »

I'm certainly that if I ordered snipers to shoot against protestors, I would give them rifles that aren't in the database. I mean, they can't be that hard to get, right?

Besides, tracing them won't do much good, as some police armories were allegedly captured by protestors.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: March 12, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »

There needs to be an investigation to end the rumours. On the Ukrainian side there is also a rumour that it might have been Russian agents.

But this:
I'm certainly that if I ordered snipers to shoot against protestors, I would give them rifles that aren't in the database. I mean, they can't be that hard to get, right?

Besides, tracing them won't do much good, as some police armories were allegedly captured by protestors.
seems to be a problem for any investigation.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: March 12, 2014, 02:42:16 pm »

But finding some bullets with the same riffle imprint from both protester's and police dead would be a dramatic blow.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: March 12, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »

Probably. Though I'm afraid those bullets might no longer exist. I mean, either party, if responsible, will make those things disappear.

((Besides, it's not that hard to divide the tasks between different snipers.))

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: March 12, 2014, 02:47:34 pm »

I have one last argument, I would like to tell. Yanukovich's strategy was to avoid any shooting. It was not until the very end, as Berkut was given any firearms. Yanukovich understood well, that a massacre on Maidan would be completely against him.

Why, why on Earth would he give an order to kill ordinary protesters, as the results of that shooting are certainly the end of his presidency.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: March 12, 2014, 02:47:55 pm »

But finding some bullets with the same riffle imprint from both protester's and police dead would be a dramatic blow.
That's actually quite possible. What if the snipers were a part of some violently militant ultranationalist group that viewed both sides as enemies? There was infighting in the soviet resistance during the WW2, why can't there be some in the ukrainian opposition?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:11 pm »

Why, why on Earth would he give an order to kill ordinary protesters, as the results of that shooting are certainly the end of his presidency.
The tricky thing about appeals to intelligence, is that you're assuming the other person is acting intelligently.

EDIT: Also even if he personally didn't order it, someone else down the chain of command that he put there might have.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: March 12, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »

I have one last argument, I would like to tell. Yanukovich's strategy was to avoid any shooting. It was not until the very end, as Berkut was given any firearms. Yanukovich understood well, that a massacre on Maidan would be completely against him.

There's plenty of cases were violently suppressing protesters works. Plus, there's no guarantee that he acted rationally. I mean, his presidency wouldn't have lasted long unless he managed to suppress the protests. He was probably desperate.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: March 12, 2014, 02:57:44 pm »

Currently we don't know, we can only speculate. It is quite possible that Yanukovych ordered it.
There is the rumour that it was Russian agents, not Yanukovych's people, who did the shooting. (Supposedly to have the situation escalate to have a cause for invasion). That is just a conspiracy theory too, but you see, people can speculate both ways.

What we know is just this: By far the most people who got shot are protesters. Witnesses (protesters, doctors and journalists) claim they saw police snipers. Some policemen got shot too, but it is possible that some protesters got their hands on sniper rifles.
That is the most obvious explanation, anything else we can not know without further investigation. That would require ballistic evidence, forensic evidence might not be enough. (Because if it is just the same type of rifle, not the exact same rifle, that doesn't mean much)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: March 12, 2014, 03:11:29 pm »

So far the biggest trend in this conflist seems to be assuming that the opposing side is composed entirely of violent radicals. I see it done on the media constantly, while in reality both pro-russians and maidanians are mostly moderate and want peaceful resolution.

I mean, 100 people died during the protests, yes. But what truly is 100 people? There could've been an uprising instead, with deaths numbering in the thousands. But instead, all there was is a peaceful demonstration.

And likewise, the current invasion is by far the most bloodless one ever seen in the history if Russia, and a lot of pro-russians are keen to keep it this way.

So if we disregard the extremist groups that are invariably present in each conflict, this whole situation is one of the most peaceful political clusterfucks in history.

Ivze, what do you think?

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:04 pm »

Ivze, what do you think?

Yet 100 dead people are too much to call the situation peaceful.
On the contrary, what is happening in Crimea, IS peaceful, as even during sieges of pro-Ukrainian military bases by pro-Russian military forces no one has died yet.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »

Some nice images. Do not consider them as an argument =)
http://weirdrussia.com/2014/03/02/polite-people-meme/
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 286