Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304828 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2355 on: March 11, 2014, 11:40:26 am »

Aside from dick-waving prestige, why do empires form?

Security and resources. The ability to know that the territories in your empire are not a threat, and to use the resources of those territories.

Both would be accomplished with western economic and military integration.

But they wouldn't be able to wave to wave their would-be massive Imperial penis prestige around so that's a hurdle.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: March 11, 2014, 11:47:48 am »

The problem is, that these prospective territories that Russia wants are actually states that love their independence and the very mentioning of Russia brings up the USSR.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: March 11, 2014, 11:58:36 am »

Indeed. So an imperial Russia is right out, no one but Russia wants that, while an economically and militarily integrated Russia, while not -exactly- what Russia wants, would leave everyone at least marginally happy at worst, and safe and secure at best.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: March 11, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »

That's a bit drastic, I think, but the gist of it is correct. To phrase it a bit more friendly: After 1990 the West made the same mistakes that the Allies made in 1919, leaving a proud and powerful country with a terrrible economy, a chronic inferiority complex and no chance to integrate themselves with the global community in a way that fits their self-image.

Remind me again, what reparations have western nations taken from Russia?  Which export industries has the west crippled?  Which natural resources have the western nations appropriated?  Which territories have the west stationed troops inside?  What are the quotas for arms limits that the west has put on Russia?  Where is the hardship among the families of profitable industries that the west has appropriated the pay of?  Which Russian politicians have the western governments banned from politics?

The key difference between 1990 and 1919 is that German was put in an untenable situation and given very little support while the Russians have been allowed to conduct their affairs and it's only their own actions that have put them in a difficult situation.
It's about the way they feel, not about what's happened. And from what I gathered 'Schandfrieden' describes the Russian perspective on the post-1990 situation pretty well.
Also, the material implications are the same, even if the causes are different: The Russian industry is crippled, Russian companies have been put out of business by Western/Chinese competitors, unemployment is high, the state is not exactly swimming in money, and NATO has expanded into Russia's (percieved) sphere of influence/stationed troops on ex-USSR territory.

(Also, could I get an opinion from one of the Russians/Belarusians in this thread on how far off the mark I am?)

Western and Chinese companies had nothing to do with the downfall of Russian industry in the 1990s. It occurred because of the devastating neoliberal economic policies conducted by Western-backed government of Yeltsin, his neoliberal economists and American advisors. The unemployment, the rapid fall of living standards, the skyrocketing crime rate and many other plagues of Russian society in the 1990s were the result of policies conducted by Yeltsin, Gaidar, Chubais and other liberals, and Western politicians and organizations like the IMF supporting them. Washington Post, New York Times and other Western media that are currently blasting Russian imperialist threat to the Free World applauded such policies despite the fact that they did more harm than good to Russia.

During the times of the Soviet Union, especially the late Soviet Union, the absolute majority of Russian people didn't hold any grudge against Americans and Europeans and found official propaganda detailing the grave threat of USA and NATO to the USSR ridiculous. And then, the 1990s happened... 
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: March 11, 2014, 12:21:06 pm »

Spoiler: Loved that (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: March 11, 2014, 12:38:46 pm »

I want to refer to The History of the Soviet Union.  The end of it is relevant to the current topic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: March 11, 2014, 12:49:57 pm »

GI, I meant that Russia now imports many of the things it previously produced itself. That the Russian economy was ruined by Yeltsin and the later oligarchs is no secret ;)
Could I get your opinion on this post? I'd like to improve my understanding of the Russian perspective.

UR: I need to drop the word 'integrate' - how about 'feel comfortable' instead?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:55 pm »

Here is my point of view from the inside of Russia :)

The outer world might not imagine the power of a Renaissance in the minds of Russians, we have here. After more than 20 years of mental darkness, it's like a light of dawn, that breaks upon a morning sky to stop a long winter night of the North. Now all the political dispositions are clear.

Do you know what it is to live in a state, that's being destroyed slowly, like a withering flower? At first glance the life seems OK, but day after day you and your family are being slowly destroyed. Not necessary physically, despite this is also possible: a car crash on a highway, because it has not been repaired for some years; a heart attack because of the lack of medical treatment; a heroine overdose, because the drug usage spreads in the society, that has no will to live. The worst kind of destruction, that kindles all the minors, lives in minds. The people of Russia didn't know, for what purpose they live as Russians. They had lost the belief in their empire, after it collapsed in such a miserable way.

The West's only purpose it to complete the destruction of what has left of Soviet Union. After 20 years of political progress, we have no neutral country to the west of our borders: every state has joined NATO, except Belarus, that is allied to us. There has recently been an attempt to fix it, that didn't nearly come as far as in Ukraine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Belarusian_protests . Yugoslavia is no more. Before 2008 we had a pro-NATO Georgia, and the North Caucasis unrest is like a slow never ending inflamation at our south-west. And now the West decides to take over the Ukraine.

But No! - says our government, and moves in our military forces.
Yes, we've been waiting for that for 20 years! - say our people.

We have a president Putin. He's been making incredible tricks to stay president for the last many years. We have a reason to condemn him. But now, considering what has happened, this all does not matter. As after what he has done, Putin can be forgiven. Because what he does, comes to the prosperity of Russia. http://rt.com/politics/putin-rating-boost-crimea-122/

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: March 11, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »

UR: I need to drop the word 'integrate' - how about 'feel comfortable' instead?
I'll answer that question if you'll answer that one: Millions of Russians believe that Ukrainian nation doesn't exist, that Ukrainian language doesn't exist and in fact it is Russian language spoiled by Polish influence and so on. What should we Ukrainians do to make those people feel comfortable?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: March 11, 2014, 01:08:56 pm »

And now the West decides to take over the Ukraine.

Naw, its actually the Russian military illegally occupying a sovereign nation.  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2365 on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

snip

For what it's worth, I take it the following outlines what GI & (supposedly) the russian population at large believes:
GI's comment & the next handful of responses
And in case you missed this, a video (there're subtitles)

Also, 100,000 troops? I thought it was more like 10,000, with another twenty-k just recently.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:19:10 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »

The West's only purpose it to complete the destruction of what has left of Soviet Union.
I've seen a lot of people with persecution complexes in my life, but few things compare to the persecution complex Russia has in regards to...well, everybody, but especially the West.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: March 11, 2014, 01:16:27 pm »

Holy hell this is depressing.

I'm just going to assume that these are views you encounter, rather than views you hold, but if you do hold them, I honestly feel sympathy for you.

It's obvious Russians have a desperate need to blame the west for all their problems, but it's equally obvious there's nothing the West could do to destroy them (even if they wanted to, which is just... not true) that they haven't already done to themselves. :/

And yes, MSH, I was trying to think of the word, but that is it exactly. A nationwide persecution and inferiority complex.

This isn't to say that a large number of self-interested organizations and individuals from the reset of the world haven't been incredibly eager to profit off the sorry state of Russia, often to Russia's detriment, but the West certainly isn't responsible for putting them in that state.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:18:43 pm by GlyphGryph »

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: March 11, 2014, 01:21:09 pm »

Millions of Russians believe that Ukrainian nation doesn't exist, that Ukrainian language doesn't exist and in fact it is Russian language spoiled by Polish influence and so on.

WTH? Ukrainian, Belarusian, Polish, Croatian and other Slavic cultures and languages all originate from the same branch, that diverged into diferent directions. No one here, in Russia, that thinks upon the question seriously, will think so. For me it's always been a lovely game to listen to diferent slavic languages and comprehend them, as it's wonderful to feel that my own Russian language is a part of a bigger three.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: March 11, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »

Could I get your opinion on this post? I'd like to improve my understanding of the Russian perspective.
If I recall correctly, there are student exchange programs between Russian and Western universities (which will probably get axed by the West if the conflict heats up). Also, Russia cooperated with NATO in several peacekeeping missions in Kosovo. It helped Russians to break their prejudice towards the Americans and promoted mutual understanding - the popular Russian slur "Pindos", which denotes Americans, originated among Russian peacekeepers in Kosovo.

In my opinion, most Russians will go into "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" mode once West tries to offer assistance to Russia. Imagine Israel offering development aid to Egypt or other Arab states, or Japan offering assistance to China or both Koreas. The public reaction in Russia to Western offers of economic support will probably be the same as in these countries.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 286