Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305163 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2115 on: March 07, 2014, 07:20:13 am »

As for industrial policy, well, I agree with you. The EU is way too liberal in some aspect, and we could do with more regional help (we do help them modernize, I just think we ought to do more). But still, why would be bomb and break apart Yougoslavia for cheap labor when we could just have a work permit system? That theory doesn't make any sense.

Bombing a country to smithereens allows Western companies to get their hands on reconstruction contracts. The activities of KBR and Halliburton in Iraq is a perfect example. Plus, dismembering a country makes it more susceptible to political and economic manipulation and pressure.
Russian anti-Western sources' claims that the West plans to dismember Russia aren't very illogical - the West would profit more from having several puppet states in the place of Russia instead of having to deal with a united Russia. Unfortunately for the West, the horrible totalitarian dick-tator Putin objects.
We really need to open a West-Eastern news agency: In Germany, they claim that Schröder sold us out to the Russians! Maybe the problem is that the EU doesn't know how scary it can look...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:15 am »

As for industrial policy, well, I agree with you. The EU is way too liberal in some aspect, and we could do with more regional help (we do help them modernize, I just think we ought to do more). But still, why would be bomb and break apart Yougoslavia for cheap labor when we could just have a work permit system? That theory doesn't make any sense.

Bombing a country to smithereens allows Western companies to get their hands on reconstruction contracts. The activities of KBR and Halliburton in Iraq is a perfect example. Plus, dismembering a country makes it more susceptible to political and economic manipulation and pressure.
Russian anti-Western sources' claims that the West plans to dismember Russia aren't very illogical - the West would profit more from having several puppet states in the place of Russia instead of having to deal with a united Russia. Unfortunately for the West, the horrible totalitarian dick-tator Putin objects.

You are really close for why west does shit it does.
Generally it's not only construction. There are a lot of thing, from loans the country need to take, to think like private businesses coming and buying out destroyed firms,  and other things for low money than selling it. To "positive" things like moving factories to the country because of low work cost.

There is a standard procedure that almost every country that was bombard and invaded by west does. And most is coming of west firms to milk it more.
There is a very good documentary show explaining all this and giving examples of things that happend in the past on internet, will try to find it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 07, 2014, 09:11:30 am »

http://www.unian.net/politics/894040-v-kryimu-reshili-ne-priglashat-na-nelegitimnyiy-referendum-teh-komu-ne-doveryayut.html

The results of the referendum will not be public. Also, invitations to said referendum will only be extended to those who can be trusted to make the right decision. (I think that's what this says - confirmation?)

Come on guys, this is totally legit!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 07, 2014, 09:13:56 am »

Translation: "We're not gonna let anybdody vote who doesn't share our views, and we're gonna make up the results anyway"?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:54 am »

I don't know if they are talking about voters, they might just be talking about writing and managing the referendum.

This is amusing:
Dear Vladimir Vladimirovich.

We learned that you want to send troops to the Crimea, to protect the rights of Russian-speaking population.
In this regard, we have a big request - send troops to the Vologda region. We're all entirely Russian-speaking and our very rights are infringed. Our patients can not get the drugs and treatment they need, the level of our education falls every year, closed circles and children's sections , agriculture virtually destroyed. We all suffer.

And the invaders who seized power with the help of fraudulent elections, do nothing for the population. They spend money on themselves, on PR, their offices and country houses, the purchase of apartments and air charter.
We 'll be very grateful, and guarantee that no guerrilla war against the liberators will come. Yes, and international sanctions , for sure, will not follow.

We have also learned that you are going to spend a lot of money to normalize life in the Crimea. We are embarassed to ask whether it is possible to spend money for normalization of life in the Vologda region. Our region is in such a debt hole that no matter what, there is not enough money. And we really need bridges, roads, sports facilities, industrial facilities, new jobs ...

With respect and hope for liberation, Russian-speaking residents of the Vologda region.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 07, 2014, 09:25:34 am »

UR, can you confirm what's in GlyphGryph's article?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 07, 2014, 09:30:56 am »

http://www.unian.net/politics/894040-v-kryimu-reshili-ne-priglashat-na-nelegitimnyiy-referendum-teh-komu-ne-doveryayut.html

The results of the referendum will not be public. Also, invitations to said referendum will only be extended to those who can be trusted to make the right decision. (I think that's what this says - confirmation?)

Come on guys, this is totally legit!
In article it's about ovserevers. They will invite only obserevers who can be trusted (that means only Russian)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:37 am »

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just working off crappy translation myself, so... yeah.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/03/who-will-protect-the-crimean-tatars.html

The Russians, protecting Crimea from those dreaded fascists! (By carving 'x's into the homes of minorities it plans on persecuting), a bit of a throwback to good ol'1944 I guess?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 07, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »

Well Crimean Tatars on the side of the enemy, again. In 1944 it was Germans now it's Ukrainians
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 07, 2014, 01:49:13 pm »

I was reading an article about Yugoslavian wars earlier today and what's going on in Ukraine right now is strangely similar, if only in spirit. Also, I've seen some protesters march down along one of the streets near my home recently with a sign that said "No! to war" and a whole squad of policemen came and threatened to literally break the protesters' legs if they don't go away.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 07, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »

I was reading an article about Yugoslavian wars earlier today and what's going on in Ukraine right now is strangely similar, if only in spirit.
I see very few similarities myself.....

I am in pessimistic mood, looks like Crimea is lost already. Russia concentrates more and more troops there and nothing is done to stop them.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 07, 2014, 03:04:47 pm »

I was reading an article about Yugoslavian wars earlier today and what's going on in Ukraine right now is strangely similar, if only in spirit.
I see very few similarities myself.....

I am in pessimistic mood, looks like Crimea is lost already. Russia concentrates more and more troops there and nothing is done to stop them.
Well, the Yugoslavian wars were born of greed and pride of the ruling elite and pitted the different peoples of a previously unified nation against each other, and so it is in Ukraine. But my argument is quite strained, I agree.

There is always hope. It is fully possible that Putin will eventually relent after realising that the problems he will get by annexing Crimea far outweigh the gains.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 07, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »

Putin is using justifications eerily similar to the ones Milosevic used.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 07, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »

It is fully possible that Putin will eventually relent after realising that the problems he will get by annexing Crimea far outweigh the gains.
I am fairly sure he will not stop. IMO, only full embargo on gas and oil or direct NATO military involvement  can stop him. Both are impossible
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 286