Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305313 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1830 on: March 04, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »

BUT, and that but is very important, there is a pretty steep rise in anti-immigrants, anti-semitics, very close to being neo-nazis, powers all through out europe. looking at places like greece, france, hungary, and with italy and spain slowly joining them, ignoring it is taking the role of an ostrich and sticking your head in the ground.
Ironically, I'm pretty sure far right movements are stronger in France and the like than in Ukraine.

I gave france as an example of where its starting to go out of hand. and its not ironic, its sad, well, for france and the world anyway.

immigration to israel numbers are starting to resemble the russian immigration wave. they are no where as near, but they gradually climbing. also, that immigration cause france to bleed out money. a lot of money.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: March 04, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »

BUT, and that but is very important, there is a pretty steep rise in anti-immigrants, anti-semitics, very close to being neo-nazis, powers all through out europe. looking at places like greece, france, hungary, and with italy and spain slowly joining them, ignoring it is taking the role of an ostrich and sticking your head in the ground.
Well, I think we are aware of that, but it's not something that directly ties into the events in Ukraine. There are some worrying develpoments in some European countries, though overall I don't think you should compare these parties to Neo-Nazis. Depends on which country we're talking about, but it's not as bad as you think, at least not everywhere. Anyway, that's too complex an issue to be debated here.

but i also think everyone here should adopt a more critical and emotional free perspective on the west.
I, and I'm sure many others here, do have a critical perspective of the West. I have differentiated views on many things, but it is - with the limitations of an internet forum - very difficult to voice differentiated views on anything, when people tend to pop in to say "The West/Putin is evil/Hitler". So, I don't think that's good, but it is how it is with internet debates.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:25 pm »

Ironically, I'm pretty sure far right movements are stronger in France and the like than in Ukraine.

I gave france as an example of where its starting to go out of hand. and its not ironic, its sad, well, for france and the world anyway.

immigration to israel numbers are starting to resemble the russian immigration wave. they are no where as near, but they gradually climbing. also, that immigration cause france to bleed out money. a lot of money.
I'm pretty sure that their 75% tax policy on the rich also might have something to do with that. After all, far right isn't that strong, even in France.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:38 pm »

when people tend to pop in to say "The West/Putin is evil/Hitler".
Hitler is evil!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:57 pm »

Georgia was called fascist back when Russia was invading them.  Funny how countries have a habit of turning fascist just when Russia invades them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 04, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure that their 75% tax policy on the rich also might have something to do with that. After all, far right isn't that strong, even in France.

Except that a lot of them keep their business running in france and keep paying french taxes. also, keep in mind that houses and the cost of living in israel is very high. i would take an uneducated guess and say its higher than in france.

(Edit - that uneducated guess turned out wrong. on average, the cost of living is higher in france in many respects)

Beside, people state anti-semitism rise as the number one factor of considering immigration to israel in polls. you might not believe them, but those are the polls.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:59:53 pm by burningpet »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 04, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

Yeah, France did have some worrying stuff one the anti-semitism front recently, with humorist Dieudonné and his "anti-sionist party". Basically, he invented a gesture that is supposed to be anti-system, and then the medias and government went into berserk mode, banning it everywhere, firing kids who did it in school etc etc. Of course, it only gave him more publicity than he ever would have.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 04, 2014, 05:05:30 pm »

people state anti-semitism rise as the number one factor of considering immigration to israel in polls.
Are you sure that the only source of anti-semitism  in France are right-wing parties and not Arabs that immigrate to France don't add to that?

BTW, extremist right-wingers appear exactly because more moderate guys were unable to stop immigration waves coming to France.
Also, EU is outrageously bad in dealing with neo-nazi teenagers
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 04, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »

Beside, people state anti-semitism rise as the number one factor of considering immigration to israel in polls. you might not believe them, but those are the polls.
I've heard that too. However, if you want a differentiated view, especially in France but in other Western European countries as well, anti-semitism is a problem that is only to a lesser degree caused by far-right parties, but mostly by parts of the muslim immigrant population.
Dieudonne, the comedian Sheb mentioned, is African, so he isn't part of any traditionally nationalist group.

Still, this doesn't relate to Ukraine really, so maybe we should keep it more on topic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:09:06 pm by XXSockXX »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

Considering nearly half of immigrants to Israel come from Russia (with v. tolerant USA in second), that would seem to say a lot about Russia.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: March 04, 2014, 06:13:36 pm »

I think he was referring to migrants from France.

But yeah, actually I think Israel, with its stupid dual obsession on defining itself as "the Jewish state" and occupying Palestine is the leading cause of antisemitism worldwide. A lot of people simply don't differentiate between Israelis and Jews (including pro-Israel lobbies who are only to happy to brand any criticism of Israel an act of anti-semitism).

Not only that, but by over-using the anti-semitism accusation, those pro-Israeli lobby group actually destigmatize it: if you can be branded antisemitic for holding perfectly valid political view, the antisemitic label loses some of its potency.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »

A lot of people simply don't differentiate between Israelis and Jews
That goes both ways though, a lot of people don't understand that there is a difference between critizising the Israeli government and blaming Jews for everything. It's not like there's no left-wing anti-semitism.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:58 pm »

Yeah, I expanded on that below.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 04, 2014, 06:23:31 pm »

Not only that, but by over-using the anti-semitism accusation, those pro-Israeli lobby group actually destigmatize it: if you can be branded antisemitic for holding perfectly valid political view, the antisemitic label loses some of its potency.
If everybody's a racist, nobody is?

yeah i dun think appropriating syndrome quotes works here

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:03 pm »

Considering nearly half of immigrants to Israel come from Russia (with v. tolerant USA in second), that would seem to say a lot about Russia.

Not from russia, from ex-soviet union countries, taking into account a single country, Russia is still probably the largest but the numbers are declining, also, its not a whole lot bigger than France that seen 60%+ rise. USA is a big source, but, about only 500 people more than from Ukraine.

Some numbers playing not to be taken seriously! (there are other factors in those equation)
If Ukraine jewish immigration will rise to match france's due to the recent events, taking into account what the average french immigrants pay on houses alone (~3k bought houses * 500k usd in the last year alone), this immigration will cost Ukraine more lost money than their annual export volume to the U.S and about the same amount the EU were willing to give Ukraine in financial aid. not even taking into account taxes, consumption spending, rent etc. This is money that leaves a country and doesn't come back. (obviously the country itself only sees part of that spent money, so its not a full direct loss, but its money that is going out of a domestic market circulation).

How many financially secured ukranians/russians will immigrate to russia?

Now that i think of it, a proper conspiracy theory would be that israel stirred those violent protests through the US (well, officially embraced them) so immigration to israel will rise.

Sheb, I can accept that view and its probably correct in many cases, but i also think it downplays real fascism which IS on a rise. its not only jews that warn about it, its also arabs, turks, pakistanians etc etc. just looking at the trend in voting almost all throughout europe there's a strong rise for those parties.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 286