Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305329 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1815 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »

Maybe Jews killed his family.
Let's not go there.
._.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 04, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »

Latest is that Russia is test-launching ICBM's in a completely non-threatening manner.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »

Latest is that Russia is test-launching ICBM's in a completely non-threatening manner.
It was planned!
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 04, 2014, 02:29:28 pm »

No no, it is Tuesday, everyone knows you MUST test fire your ICBMs every Tuesday. What threat? We are not arguing, we are discussing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: March 04, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga5A6R9BJg

This one is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 02:38:46 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1820 on: March 04, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »

I lol'd
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 04, 2014, 02:57:11 pm »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: March 04, 2014, 03:25:42 pm »

When people accuse "the Nationalists" in Ukraine of being anti-Semitic:

Quote from: Wikipedia
On April 5, 2009, Arseniy Yatsenyuk announced his candidacy for President of Ukraine in the next presidential election. During the election campaign fellow candidate Serhiy Ratushniak repeatedly insulted Yatsenyuk because of his alleged Jewish roots, among others Ratushniak called Yatsenyuk an "impudent little Jew" who was "successfully serving the thieves who are in power in Ukraine and is using criminal money to plough ahead towards Ukraine's presidency"

Quote from: Wikipedia
Following his nomination Ratushniak told a local paper that the Jews were to blame for all his country's troubles. Ratushnyak has also called Yatsenyuk "a nasty Jew mason" and an "impudent little Jew" who was "successfully serving the thieves who are in power in Ukraine and is using criminal money to plough ahead towards Ukraine's presidency". The mayor told the Associated Press in a telephone interview: "Is everybody obliged to love Jews and Israel? If I don't like Jews and Israel, does that make me an anti-Semite?".

Yatsenyuk is the Prime Minister of Ukraine, one of the country's national leaders and among the main figureheads of the "Nationalist coup", thus he's presumably among those you're leveling your attacks at. Ratushniak on the other hand is an independent politician who has been a member of many parties, including Yanukovych's Party of Regions.

Not sure what you are saying here. no one said ALL of the ukrainians are neo-nazis, far from it, i also believe the initial protests were justified, as people in a democracy have the right to voice their opinion, but, i dont see how that contradicts anything i said so far? the ukraine government has, at least ex neo-nazi elements in it, the most effective revolution group has neo-nazi elements in it. those are not conspiracy theories, those are hard facts, self admitted facts.

I mean, run me through the scenario of a party that establishes itself around neo-nazi ideology, rhetoric and imagery then later changes itself to be more moderate. what is the process? self enlightment of all of the leading figures? sudden realization that, well, maybe the jews aint so bad after all? what can cause someone that believed in his cause so much, that he publicly announced to the world "I Am a Neo-Nazi" (because joining an openly admitted neo-nazi, makes you a neo-nazi right? you support their stances by joining the party), to suddenly turn and say, we are mere nationalists?

Regarding that rabbi and his confusion:

When a rabbi announce that "russian soldiers dressed up as ukrainians neo-nazis to cause provocations and putin=hitler", well, that's a very convinient conspiracy theory and lets just say that we could use some better sources to determine our facts.

Also, when he is being questioned with the facts that the new government now has far-right allegedly ex neo-nazis in it, he just responds with basically - "Yes, but they told me everything would be ok".

All of this is a bit, well, questionable, when the next paragraph details how he started a fund to enable better security measures. because, you know, an obvious reaction of feeling safe is to ensure safety measures. and you don't ask for security measures to protect your community from the russian army.

Beside, soviet jews never liked the religion oppressing soviet union. that's why we have around 1M ex-russian jews here, whom, from my experience, are not really looking at mother russia with a rose tainted glasses to say the least.

Let me just stress again that a lot of jews actually supported hitler during his early years. hitler himself started with a policy of basically transferring jews to israel until he realized that maybe a jewish state is not the best thing for antisemitics, so a jewish support for the new Ukrainian government is not an indication of anything. and the fact there are honest to good people in that government are also not an indication of anything.

the violent streets decided the fate of Ukraine, not a skewed vote, lets not forget that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:47:56 pm by burningpet »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 04, 2014, 03:55:51 pm »

-snip-
It's understandable that Jews are more concerned with the current situation than other people. There is anti-semitism in Ukraine, like in many other places of the world. Yes, some of what the rabbi is saying sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory, but the other side employs these as well in portraying the revolution as fascist. It's important to stress that the protesters for the most part (this includes many Ukrainian Jews too) have nothing in common with the far-righters that were taking part in the protests.
As for far-righters in the current government, that is only a provisional government, a temporal compromise, that should soon be replaced by elections. If there is less of an nationalist vs pro-Russian atmosphere in Ukraine, these parties will get a lot less attention. A lot of what makes them attractive now is that they appear as the least compromising fighters for the cause of the revolution. If the revolution is over, voters will look more for competence than radicalism. Before the revolution, far-righters did not fare much better than in some other European countries, the more stable the situation, the less influence they will have.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »

I like how the only threats to synagogues have come from Putin's occupied Crimea, but don't tell that to the ideologues.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: March 04, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »

So, on a more, analytical note, the news from FreedomLand:

I've noticed two broad narratives in the US about Putin, what he wants, why he invades, and what can solve the crisis (well sorta). They are broad yet coherent, and have both negative and positive things to say about Putin (though it leans negative, shockingly). Here is a bit of my armchair analysis (the only way to analyze news).

I've euphemistically divided these into "Putin the Wolf", and "Putin the Bear". Remember, these aren't value judgments (although they do lend themselves to them), this is just me describing what they see.
Spoiler: Putin the Wolf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Putin the Bear (click to show/hide)
Anyway,the US government is disorganizedly planning all sorts of measures, with Obama organizing sanctions against Russian individuals, and Congress scrambling to press sanctions against Russia itself and others, possibly through an expansion of the Magnitsky Act, which froze assets of Russians involved with human rights violations, and by aiding Ukraine directly, through loan guarantees and direct aid and such things.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: March 04, 2014, 04:31:54 pm »

Are you sure? from what i understand, Svoboda was only gaining power.

I want to stress out another important personal belief of mine: I do not think we will see concentration camps in Ukraine. nor any government officially support systematically persucations of jews in Ukraine, not now, not in the next 10 years.

I believe there are good people in Ukraine, and the times have changed such as that israel's influence is too strong for other, small-to-medium powers to employ such actions, if anything and ironically, now days it is only russia that could maybe actually get away with something similar.

BUT, and that but is very important, there is a pretty steep rise in anti-immigrants, anti-semitics, very close to being neo-nazis, powers all through out europe. looking at places like greece, france, hungary, and with italy and spain slowly joining them, ignoring it is taking the role of an ostrich and sticking your head in the ground.

If the west continue to look the other way, Ukraine and such countries would become greece. perhaps Ukraine have already became greece and you could try and justify it however you like, deflect it, try to blame other sides, bring all sort of bizzare rabbis that are saying otherwise but acting so, hell, even personally attack me for stating so, but the hard facts remain, those movements were powerful enough to dictate actions to a government AND to its opposition.

Also, i am not really thinking putin has set out to stop those forces, he is merely using them for his personal propaganda, but i also think everyone here should adopt a more critical and emotional free perspective on the west.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: March 04, 2014, 04:33:22 pm »

BUT, and that but is very important, there is a pretty steep rise in anti-immigrants, anti-semitics, very close to being neo-nazis, powers all through out europe. looking at places like greece, france, hungary, and with italy and spain slowly joining them, ignoring it is taking the role of an ostrich and sticking your head in the ground.
Ironically, I'm pretty sure far right movements are stronger in France and the like than in Ukraine.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: March 04, 2014, 04:33:52 pm »

For those complaining, still, about the new Ukrainian government and it's "fascist Neo-nazi's", is that the pro-Russia groups are pretty much just as fascist, they are just anti-Nazi fascists (but otherwise seem to hold the same beliefs as Nazis). This... isn't actually an improvement, and there seems to be plenty on both sides of the aisle as well as in the previous government as well.

Some choice quotes:
Quote from: The Guardian
Outside the Belbek airbase, an aggressive self-defence group said they were there to defend the base against “Kiev fascists”, but also railed against Europe, “full of repulsive gays and Muslims”.

“What you foreigners don’t get is that those people in Maidan, they are fascists,” said Alexander, a Simferopol resident drinking at a bar in the city on Monday night. “I mean, I am all for the superiority of the white race, and all that stuff, but I don’t like fascists.”

I still haven't seen any evidence that the revolution was a win for the fascists/supremicists/racists/antisemetics in general, at all. Certain groups of them supported the revolution, other groups opposed, but it seems like the revolution leadership are NOT particularly fascist, any more than the previous government was, and that fascism and fighting it is a problem Ukraine will need to deal with no matter WHAT happens and no matter who wins.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 286