Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305287 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1800 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:56 am »

Then again, publicity stunts seem to have significant effect on the average guy who doesn't actually understand economics.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: March 04, 2014, 11:08:16 am »

Then again, publicity stunts seem to have significant effect on the average guy who doesn't actually understand economics.

Well, what behaviors would you change due to this publicity stunt?  Anything that would cause economic fallout?  Is an average joe gonna run off into the mountains and become a survivalist or something I'm not aware of?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: March 04, 2014, 11:39:19 am »

So Putin is trying to be diplomatic now.
Don't worry UR, he only wants to protect Ukraine. ;)
“If we see this lawlessness starting in eastern regions, if the people ask us for help – in addition to a plea from a legitimate president, which we already have – then we reserve the right to use all the means we possess to protect those citizens. And we consider it quite legitimate,” he said.
“We are not going to a war against the Ukrainian people,” he said. “I want you to understand it unambiguously. If we do take a decision, it would only be to protect Ukrainian citizens. Let anybody in the military dare, and they’d be shooting their own people, who would stand up in front of us. Shoot at women and children. I’d like to see anyone try and order such a thing in Ukraine.”
“When I ask them ‘Do you believe you do everything legitimately,’ they say ‘Yes.’ And I have to remind them about the US actions in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, where they acted either without any UN Security Council mandate or through perverting a mandate, as was the case in Libya,” Putin said.
“Our partners, especially in the United States, always clearly and formulate for themselves their geopolitical and national interests, pursue them relentlessly and then drag the rest of the world in, using the principle ‘You are either with us or against us’. And harass those refuse to be dragged in,” he added.
“I strictly object to this form [of transition of power] in Ukraine, and anywhere in the post-Soviet space. This does not help nurturing a culture of law. If someone is allowed to act this way, then everyone is allowed to. And this means chaos. That’s the worst thing that can happen to a country with an unstable economy and an unestablished political system,” Putin explained.
“Frankly, they should adopt a new constitution through a referendum so that all citizens of Ukraine feel engagement in that process, have an input on the formation of the new principles of how their nation should function,” Putin suggested. “That’s certainly not for us, but for the Ukrainians and the Ukrainian authorities to decide this way or another. I believe after legitimate government is formed, after a new president elected, after a new parliament is elected, they should return to this.”

Interesting side note about Yanuk, it seems he has indeed outlived his usefulness after signing that letter.

Found this on a German newssite, an RT anchor speaking against the invasion of Crimea. The fact that she didn't lose her job is interpreted as a sign that this was not exactly unplanned.

Also some more fun moments from RT's Crimea coverage.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: March 04, 2014, 11:52:39 am »

Also according to PM Yatsenyuk, Ukraine is now talking to Russia on a minister level, which Russia had refused to do before.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: March 04, 2014, 11:54:40 am »

Senior RT analyst.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:44 am »

Yeah, finally they're talking to the people who really matter.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:48 pm »

When people accuse "the Nationalists" in Ukraine of being anti-Semitic:

Quote from: Wikipedia
On April 5, 2009, Arseniy Yatsenyuk announced his candidacy for President of Ukraine in the next presidential election. During the election campaign fellow candidate Serhiy Ratushniak repeatedly insulted Yatsenyuk because of his alleged Jewish roots, among others Ratushniak called Yatsenyuk an "impudent little Jew" who was "successfully serving the thieves who are in power in Ukraine and is using criminal money to plough ahead towards Ukraine's presidency"

Quote from: Wikipedia
Following his nomination Ratushniak told a local paper that the Jews were to blame for all his country's troubles. Ratushnyak has also called Yatsenyuk "a nasty Jew mason" and an "impudent little Jew" who was "successfully serving the thieves who are in power in Ukraine and is using criminal money to plough ahead towards Ukraine's presidency". The mayor told the Associated Press in a telephone interview: "Is everybody obliged to love Jews and Israel? If I don't like Jews and Israel, does that make me an anti-Semite?".

Yatsenyuk is the Prime Minister of Ukraine, one of the country's national leaders and among the main figureheads of the "Nationalist coup", thus he's presumably among those you're leveling your attacks at. Ratushniak on the other hand is an independent politician who has been a member of many parties, including Yanukovych's Party of Regions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: March 04, 2014, 12:24:39 pm »

Because NAZIS OH EM GEE right?

* Descan rolls his eyes aggressively.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: March 04, 2014, 12:44:26 pm »

http://forward.com/articles/193766/ukraine-chief-rabbi-accuses-russia-of-anti-semitic/

This rabbi seems a little bit confused..
Look, nobody can deny that there are anti-semitic elements among the protesters, in the Right Sector and the Svoboda party. However they are not at all a majority. And anti-semitism exists on the other side too. French philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy has been called a "jewish rat" for speaking on Maidan. He is strongly trying to counter the image of the revolution being an extremist one.

At this point in time, the best way to counter extremists would be a peaceful transition in Ukraine towards a more democratic system.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: March 04, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »

http://forward.com/articles/193766/ukraine-chief-rabbi-accuses-russia-of-anti-semitic/

This rabbi seems a little bit confused..
This rabbi is the vice-president of World Jewish Congress not some random guy who knows nothing about politics
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: March 04, 2014, 01:04:06 pm »

redacted
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:10:14 pm by Bouchart »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: March 04, 2014, 01:09:30 pm »

When Jew is being used as an insult then it seems like it's kind of the definition of antisemitism, though? Like, if somebody were calling the guy an "impudent little jackass" and cries of antisemitism were the result it'd be pretty reasonable to say that it's a stupid sympathy grab. But that's not the case?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: March 04, 2014, 01:11:04 pm »

Maybe Jews killed his family.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 286