Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305170 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1140 on: March 01, 2014, 08:05:45 am »

Yeah, the absolute worse would be 1956/1968, not an annexation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 01, 2014, 08:06:08 am »

Well I just picked Poland because it's the traditional world war starter. But yeah, I don't think Putin gives a damn about insurgency, he doesn't have to worry about PR like USA presidents. He has an insatiable appetite for territory, and he'll take everything he thinks he can, and the West sitting on their hands while he annexes Ukraine will make him think he can take a lot more than he thought before.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 01, 2014, 08:09:10 am »

So once again the West has no balls. Hardly surprising. I wonder how long until Putin annexes Poland.
Why would Putin need Poland? Or concerning annexing the rest of Ukraine, does he really want to deal with UPA insurgents in Galicia and Volhynia?
Well if he did manage to add poland to the list of russian satelite states (not likely since poland has somewhat strong ties to EU and NATO) then russia would have more or less the same sphere of influence as ye olde soviet union without being defacto the red scare of old.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 01, 2014, 08:10:17 am »

It would be a much scarier red scare, because now it has an economy that's somewhat efficient.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 01, 2014, 08:19:45 am »

Tymoshencko's braids fake, CIA conspiracy suspected.

Edit: Apparently Russia is suspending the gas discount. I guess this would invalidate the 2010 treaty regarding Sevastopol.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:27:06 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 01, 2014, 08:38:42 am »

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 01, 2014, 08:51:25 am »

It would be a much scarier red scare, because now it has an economy that's somewhat efficient.
You greatly overestimate the state of Russian economy.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 01, 2014, 01:53:48 pm »

Besides the fact that (sadly) Kaliningrad/Königsberg has no tie Germany anymore (a fact which you are certainly aware of), provokation is not going to help here.

But, sir, they just have to occupy the lands, kill the local Russian population, move Germans in, and then claim the Russians weren't the ones who owned it first. That's how it works. I love how you say 'it's more complex than u think!!!" and then go entirely on the pro-Russian side of the arguement, and hand wave the murder of the Crimean people which allows Russia to even have the completely asinine claim that 'most of the people are Russians [because we murdered the rest of them and forced them to use Russian language therefore killing their local identities]!!'.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:56:40 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 01, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

No, he doesn't. he is trying to participate in a balanced discussion, whereas every little mention of trying to see the "other" side is being answered with deflections and hidden/open personal attacks. currently the situation is as such that they are a native speaking russians that have good reasons to fear.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:04:28 pm by burningpet »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:18 pm »

Actually you have to be careful when you say they're Russian. They have Russian as their mother language, but people from all over the USSR moved to Crimea in the days. You have Armenians, Georgians etc etc, all speaking Russian there.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »

Besides the fact that (sadly) Kaliningrad/Königsberg has no tie Germany anymore (a fact which you are certainly aware of), provokation is not going to help here.

But, sir, they just have to occupy the lands, kill the local Russian population, move Germans in, and then claim the Russians weren't the ones who owned it first. That's how it works. I love how you say 'it's more complex than u think!!!" and then go entirely on the pro-Russian side of the arguement, and hand wave the murder of the Crimean people which allows Russia to even have the completely asinine claim that 'most of the people are Russians [because we murdered the rest of them and forced them to use Russian language therefore killing their local identities]!!'.

Of course, the US murdered Native American people too, but I'm not seeing many arguments that the US should cede most of the Midwest to the rightful owners in the form of the Sioux and so on.

Anyhow, while you could argue the Russians have less of a legitimate claim than the Tartars, the Ukrainians have less of a claim (using the historical argument) than either, having only gained Crimea in the 50s as a ceremonial gesture from Khrushchev.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »

Well I just picked Poland because it's the traditional world war starter.

Weren't the Balkans the traditional world war starter?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 01, 2014, 02:09:09 pm »

I thought killing archdukes was.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 01, 2014, 02:14:09 pm »

The way it looks right now, it seems Russia is trying to provoke a situation where they can justify the use of force. I hope Ukrainian and Crimean locals can keep it calm.

You know, the Königsberg analogy does work for me. You can't just reverse these kinds of things easily. I see nobody arguing for giving Germany it's former eastern parts back, but with Crimea it's totally different?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:20:35 pm by XXSockXX »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 01, 2014, 02:18:49 pm »

Well I just picked Poland because it's the traditional world war starter.
Weren't the Balkans the traditional world war starter?
Don't you mean the Belkans? :P (if you don't get it that's fine Ace Combat 5 joke)

The way it looks right now, it seems Russia is trying to provoke a situation where they can justify the use of force. I hope Ukrainian and Crimean locals can keep it calm.

Agreed, at this point escalation would only work in Russia's favor.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 286