Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305137 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1125 on: March 01, 2014, 07:32:13 am »

Also, fun trivia, Crimean PM are elected by the local parliament but must be validated by the Ukrainian president, so Aksenov's position is legally as shaky as that of the acting Ukrainian president.

Also, I called it, Crimea is the new South Ossetia.

As for Crimean security forces, what are they? I guess the police would be Crimean, but the Ukrainian army units there, would they be Crimean or Ukrainian? Does the Crimean PM has any power over them?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 01, 2014, 07:41:30 am »

So once again the West has no balls. Hardly surprising. I wonder how long until Putin annexes Poland.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 01, 2014, 07:42:24 am »

Not gonna happens, Poland is in NATO.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 01, 2014, 07:43:35 am »

So what? Other NATO members will be deeply concerned
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 01, 2014, 07:44:14 am »

Well if you told somebody a year ago that Russia was going to annex Crimea they'd never believe it. And NATO is looking very toothless right now.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:11 am »

I would. Anyone that knew about Abkhazia and South Ossetia would.  And NATO doesn't have any obligation regarding Crimea.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 01, 2014, 07:48:42 am »

I'm just saying that the West has a tradition of appeasing conquerors. Czechoslovakia had all sorts of agreements with Great Britain and it didn't do them any good, I don't see why Poland's NATO status should be any different.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:36 am »

Really? Was Czechoslovakia in an binding defensive alliance with the UK and the rest of Europe? Also Poland doesn't have Russian army base on its territory, so any Russian boot of Polish soil would be a war declaration, no room for dilly-dally here.

Now, what I'm really wondering is that, now that Putin by and large won in Crimea, are we going to see Russian troops  in Eastern Ukraine? They too have large Russian, disgruntled, population, refused to acknowledge the new government in Kiev etc etc.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 01, 2014, 07:54:36 am »

As for Crimean security forces, what are they? I guess the police would be Crimean, but the Ukrainian army units there, would they be Crimean or Ukrainian? Does the Crimean PM has any power over them?
Quote from: Sergey Aksenov, PM of Crimea
Я как председатель Совета министров АРК, реализуя полномочия, возложенные на меня ВС АРК, принимаю решение о временном переподчинении соединений, частей, силовых структур МВД, МВО, ВС, МЧС, флота, налоговой, пограничников непосредственно мне. Всем командирам выполнять только мои приказы и распоряжения. Несогласных прошу оставить службу
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:43 am »

Do we know what the various commanders did?

Edit Protesters fly Russian flag on Kharkiv's regional parliament.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:58:14 am by Sheb »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 01, 2014, 07:59:02 am »

So, I read this thread for a rather longish time now and I have to say: WTF is wrong with some people? And I'm mostly addressing people who cry for "European/NATO intervention NOW!!! Fuck Putin!!!!1111". The whole situation is a whole lot more complex than this.

Let's take a quick look at this post:

You know, loathe as I do to wish divisions between people, I would much prefer Russia quietly annexing Crimea and the west spending the next year making lame excuses about why they didn't do anything to an open confrontation. There are many negative consequences in allowing Putin to do as he pleases, but there are even more negative consequences in the western powers deploying their troops in or around the crimean territory of openly threatening Russia. A war is truly the last thing Ukraine needs in these times of tumult. Of course, the best possible situation would be Putin withdrawing his troops due to political pressure and the pro-russian ukrainians sorting thing out with their new government, but, alas, it's extremely unlikely to happen. And let's be realistic here: having one tinpot dictator ruling over Crimea instead of another would not change the lives of people much.

It's such a shame that the worst conflicts are often born of the best intentions - all the ukrainians wanted when they were protesting was a better government.

This is a very good and cool-headed post. An anexation/seccession/whatever of the Crimean penisula is certainly not in the interest of many people, which is reasonable. But at the moment, risking a war over the Crimea is something far more worse than Russia just shitting on international laws. Besides, you people do know that the population in the Crimea is majority ethnic Russian with a significant portion of the country being Tatars and Ukrainians? An european/NATO intervention would be as horrible to the Russians as an Russian invasion would be for the rest of the people there. I'm not saying that it's completly okay for Russia to invade Ukrainia (because it definitly is NOT), but I guess you have to ask the other side the same question: Is is really acceptable for EU/NATO to intervene (militarly) on the Crimea? Certainly not as long as the Ukrainian goverment doesn't ask for such help (and even then it would be a stupid decision).

To elaborate on this I have to take a look at the last sentence on the post quoted above. While the rest of the post is really good, this last sentence is utter shit (please don't take offense Knit tie, it's not personal). This whole story started as a protest against an elected head of state, sure, but it did not represent the whole Ukrainian people. In fact, a lot of the pro-Russian people in eastern Ukrainia supported Janukowitsch. Now that he was overthrown by the Maidan protesters (which were mostly from western Ukrainia and are perceived as nationalists and faschists by the eastern Ukrainian, even if this may not be true) the pro-Russian Ukrainians feel threathend by the new goverment. This is understandble, as the losing side in such a conflict is always in deep shit (and the laws banning Russian as official language on the Crimea have made this clear).

If this new goverment, which is not even perceived as legal by all of its subjects, would now call in foreign forces, it would only speed up the seperation of Ukrainia at the cost of many lives. Do note that the same is true for the Crimea right now: they call in help from Russia and thereby provoke the western Ukrainians and Tartars. In the end, the seperation of Ukrainia is certain, in my humble opinion. Involvement from either Russia or the West will only help to deepen the animosity between the various people in Ukrainia and lead to unneccessary bloodshed. If the ethnic Russian and the rest of the Ukrainians can't live together in peace, by all means seperate them in peace. There is no point in forcefully keeping a state together that falls apart on it's one.

And just as a disclaimer on the end of my post: I do not support Russia and/or it's invasion of a foreign country. But saying that Russia is "EVIL!!!!111" and that all the Ukrainians want to be liberated from Russian influence is utter bullshit. As I mentiond earlier, this situation is more than just complex and thinking in black-and-white is certainly not going to help solve this situation peacfully.

PS:

Frau Merkel, I suggest you to move German troops in Kaliningrad, name them "local self-defense squads" and hold a referendum to annex it. Apparently that is OK for 21th century politics

While I understand your frustration over this whole thing (as it is your country that is invaded) such a thing is a completly wrong thing to do. Besides the fact that (sadly) Kaliningrad/Königsberg has no tie Germany anymore (a fact which you are certainly aware of), provokation is not going to help here. As I said earlier, a seperated Ukrainia is almost a given (again, sadly). What I would do is to make sure that this seperation is a peacful as possible, both to avoid unnecessary bloodshed and to avoid a new animosity between east and west. Because that would lead to a dark future indeed.

PPS:

Does anyone see the irony of this situation happening exactly in 2014? I guess the Austrian Prime Minister and/or the Habsburg should take cover and stay clear of Belgrade for some time :)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:01 am »

I don't think that Russia can do anything in Poland, Poland has good enough army to defend against Russia alone....  Baltic states on the other hand is way more likely

And I will be very surprised if Russians will limit themselves with Crimea. I think the plan is ""restoration of constitutional order in Ukraine" and bringing Yanukovitch back using Russian Tanks. Or, at least, occupying "Russian" half of Ukraine
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1137 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:44 am »

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:06:29 am by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 01, 2014, 08:01:02 am »

Really? Was Czechoslovakia in an binding defensive alliance with the UK and the rest of Europe?
It was with France and UK via France.

Anyway, I'm calling it now, anschluss of entire Ukraine.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 01, 2014, 08:02:24 am »

So once again the West has no balls. Hardly surprising. I wonder how long until Putin annexes Poland.
Why would Putin need Poland? Or concerning annexing the rest of Ukraine, does he really want to deal with UPA insurgents in Galicia and Volhynia?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 286