Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305919 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2014, 12:37:31 pm »

Yeah, it is somewhat modest compared to what was found, say, in the residences of Middle Eastern dictators. However appearances matter, he was supposed to be a public servant, not a dictator.

There are reports now that the governor and the major of Kharkow, both important allies of Yanukovych, have left for Russia. Also rumors that Yanukovych tried to go to Russia too, but was stopped at the border. He is rumored to be hiding in the Donetsk region now. So I guess even if the country should break apart, it won't involve his leadership.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:59 pm »

Yanuk's lifestyle as evident from his mansion. That's where all the tax money went apparently.
How many cars?
Lots. Also nice house, nice boat, nice zoo.
Collecting classical cars is in the best interest of the nation apparently.

I wouldn't say this is a nice house. An insult to all that is good in the world, maybe, but not nice.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2014, 12:39:43 pm »

Big house would be more accurate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »

I'd take the house if nobody else wants it.  :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2014, 12:42:00 pm »

Yanuk's lifestyle as evident from his mansion. That's where all the tax money went apparently.
How many cars?

I wouldn't say this is a nice house. An insult to all that is good in the world, maybe, but not nice.

gee, i wonder if you throw the art of past eras into the gutter because bad things tended to happen back then. it's a halfway decent villa, and you can't just say there's no architectonic value to it because of how or why it was made

the garden does take away a fair bit, but let's be honest, they can't control the seasons - it's probably better off in spring

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 22, 2014, 12:45:32 pm »

triple post? Woah, Anyway, is that a gold plated toilet brush holder? Obscene.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:56:38 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 22, 2014, 12:48:06 pm »

Double post, because gateway error :s
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:54:31 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 22, 2014, 12:51:44 pm »

Here's a more complete fotojournal with lots of pictures of the presidential compound.

The "boat" is actually a very tacky beach house or something
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 22, 2014, 01:05:20 pm »

Woah, Anyway, is that a gold plated toilet brush holder? Obscene.
Toilet monstrosity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 22, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »

How many cars?

gee, i wonder if you throw the art of past eras into the gutter because bad things tended to happen back then. it's a halfway decent villa, and you can't just say there's no architectonic value to it because of how or why it was made

the garden does take away a fair bit, but let's be honest, they can't control the seasons - it's probably better off in spring

Huh, what? What do you mean because of when it was made? I hate it because it's tacky as hell.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 22, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »

More righteous indignation from Putin henchmen:
Vladimir Lukin, Moscow’s envoy to Kiev, had this to say in a TV interview, according to Reuters:

I do not understand, frankly, how after recognising the legitimacy of President Yanukovich, the parliament, all the state structures, my European colleagues can then come to Kiev and go to the nationalist-revolutionary and terrorist Maidan and say there - down with the government they recognised.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 22, 2014, 01:18:20 pm »

I would've throttled whoever made them add those obnoxious and ugly railings on everything, in a color that doesn't match or coordinate in any way with the rest of the coloring, in a style that matches nothing else about the building. Thoroughly, one of the ugliest dictator mansions I've seen.

How to tell a novice architecture designer: See how many random styles they can throw in.

They also didn't extend the balcony out front to be flush with the face of the building, which would've given him almost twice as much deck space and looked less stupid since the bowing out of the balcony [notice how they extended that god awful and ugly concrete to be the bottom plate, so a redesign would requite them literally pouring a whole new area of concrete or taking it down to replace with real building materials] does not accentuate anything about the main room there. I also notice how the rounded part isn't even centered. The 'decoration light' tops to those columns near it show what I mean, there's like atleast a 15 degree margin or error there and I'm sure its apparent if you look at it straight. The angle of the picture hides it.

Ugh. I could criticize it all day. Lord help me if I see the inside, bet it's terrible.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:28:00 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 22, 2014, 01:29:01 pm »

Ugh. I could criticize it all day. Lord help me if I see the inside, bet it's terrible.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 22, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »

More righteous indignation from Putin henchmen:
Vladimir Lukin, Moscow’s envoy to Kiev, had this to say in a TV interview, according to Reuters:

I do not understand, frankly, how after recognising the legitimacy of President Yanukovich, the parliament, all the state structures, my European colleagues can then come to Kiev and go to the nationalist-revolutionary and terrorist Maidan and say there - down with the government they recognised.
Yeah, a lot depends now on how Russia will react. They are - at least technically - right about the agreement being broken and about the decision to oust Yanuk being unconstitutional.

Also more interesting than the other stuff, they also found lots of documents at the mansion. Budget lists, and black lists with the names of journalists, some of whom were beaten up badly in the past. All stuff that could be used as evidence should there be a trial.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 22, 2014, 01:35:26 pm »

Spoiler: Here you are (click to show/hide)

Now it all makes sense, Rusty Venture must've commissioned this house and then it got seized by what's-his-name.

Seriously though this might be the ugliest dictator mansion I've ever seen. Showing off wealth =/= having 40 types of budget tile in one room.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 286