Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305384 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:22:49 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #901 on: February 27, 2014, 10:35:31 am »

Considering the ethnically mixed descendents of all of those people, the Crimean Tatars, suffered ethnic cleansing at the time of WW2 (their entire population was deported by Stalin) I think they win as far as morality is concerned.
Does the suffering of a minority remove other people's right of self determination?
That is one of misconceptions of democracy - That majority can do whatever they want and minorities should shut up and comply

The basis of any stable democratic society is a political deal between majority and minorities - "Majority rules but don't use that power to make decision that are unacceptable for minorities"

So even if majority of Crimeans want to Russia that doesn't mean that they can do that.

The parliament of Crimea announced a referendum on a political status of Crimea.
LOL. Russian Media are so Russian

Guardian.... Parliament of Crimea announced = That was voted.
Not: "The Council will vote on a proposal to hold the referendum later Thursday" as you can read in the article.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:15 am »

So you suggest that Russia is deliberatly trying to provoke a response out of an unstable Ukraine for entertainments sake? Shit, this might just end up in a war just as it entertains a high up Russian.

I don't think Russia is going to make an intervention. Totally unprobable. Seriously, what the heck we forgot there? We don't even have an excuse for that.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 27, 2014, 12:29:14 pm »

The basis of any stable democratic society is a political deal between majority and minorities - "Majority rules but don't use that power to make decision that are unacceptable for minorities"
Belgium has a nice formalized version of that running through the political framework. It works, but it occasionally leads to funny results.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 27, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

So you suggest that Russia is deliberatly trying to provoke a response out of an unstable Ukraine for entertainments sake? Shit, this might just end up in a war just as it entertains a high up Russian.
No, they just want Sevastopol because of their naval base there. They also want to protect the ethnic Russians in the area, but that seems to be a secondary objective.
It should be noted that Crimea is an autonomous republic with its own parliament and Constitution, on a comparable level to a state in the U.S.

Also, there's this: http://rt.com/news/ukraine-crimea-referendum-future-014/
Yes, I know it's from RT :P
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 27, 2014, 12:42:46 pm »

So a bunch of gunmen lock themselves into parliament and then parliament passed this?

Anyway, feel like the shit is going to hit the fan. I hope this doesn't turn into war. And at least, winter is mostly over, so you've got until next winter to find some non-russian gas. We really should work on modifying those pipelines to be able to bring gas eastward.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »

Considering the ethnically mixed descendents of all of those people, the Crimean Tatars, suffered ethnic cleansing at the time of WW2 (their entire population was deported by Stalin) I think they win as far as morality is concerned.
Does the suffering of a minority remove other people's right of self determination?
That is one of misconceptions of democracy - That majority can do whatever they want and minorities should shut up and comply

So even if majority of Crimeans want to Russia that doesn't mean that they can do that.

In the US that's called the Tyrrany of the Majority and is one of the things that the US system was specifically intended to counteract.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 27, 2014, 01:26:26 pm »

So a bunch of gunmen lock themselves into parliament and then parliament passed this?

Anyway, feel like the shit is going to hit the fan. I hope this doesn't turn into war. And at least, winter is mostly over, so you've got until next winter to find some non-russian gas. We really should work on modifying those pipelines to be able to bring gas eastward.

Hey, I thought the alternative way of gas transport to Europe was functioning all the way. How it is called, the Northen Flow (Северный Поток, Severny Potok)? At least, in Russia I call it that way. Or is it just not big enough to take the full traffic of gas yet? Not quite sure about it.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 27, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »

The funnies part that they got zero proofs that it was actually voted and most likely they didn't  have a quorum
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:32 pm »

Maybe it's because of the history of my country, but raising the flag of the country you gained independence from seems to me to be in really bad taste.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 27, 2014, 01:43:10 pm »

Didn't read most of the thread so i couldn't spot it, but, did we talk how a lot of those anti-russia protesters are openly exhibiting neo-nazis symbols/slogans?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 27, 2014, 01:46:57 pm »

Comrade P. I did not mean to get gas to Europe, I meant to get gas to Ukraine to help them through the winter.

kaijyu, what's you're country again? I'd say Korea, but I'm probably wrong.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 27, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 27, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »

kaijyu, what's you're country again? I'd say Korea, but I'm probably wrong.
United States. We're pretty cool with England/the UK now, but raising an English flag without good reason will still raise some eyebrows.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 286