Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305822 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #600 on: February 20, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »

Yeah, this is getting a little old. Why don't you guys make a different thread to debate this topic and leave actual sourced news here, so we don't clutter the thread?

For a different topic, webber, I'm very interested on what you think would be the best outcome of this whole mess, and what the government should do going forward, just as a counterpoint to what we know UR's position is.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 20, 2014, 05:42:21 pm »

They could just be wearing something reflective so that if they get a hard enough knock to the head they are still highly visible in their otherwise black outfits and hopefully somebody will get them some medical attention...

Police officers are not supposed to be left for dead with only hope for random medic. Also from one of the videos I posted earlier we can see what kind of medical attention police can get from protesters.
Also the armbands make the wearer an easier targer. It would be just silly to wear them for police officers who know that protesters have weapons, but it makes a lot of sense if they are worn by provocateurs to recognize allies at distance, since they aren`t going to fight anyone who is armed.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 20, 2014, 05:51:38 pm »

The armbands theory has about as much credibility as the theory that FSB are behind Beslan and the Moscow apartment bombings to bolster support for Putin and discredit the Caucasian rebels. Neither of those routes are very sensible to go down at this stage for all sorts of reasons, I would recommend keeping to hard facts or things will get very messy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:56:10 pm by Owlbread »

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 20, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »

Greece is a slave state of Germany...
Damn it Merkel, last time you Germans convinced us to follow you our government was at least smart enough to stop at the old border and not go for Stalingrad, no matter what Hitler promised. Now we're going all out with this financial expedition and we get nothing from your slave state? Not a single mediterranean island, or at least few sunny beaches? It's dark and cold in here, and the company sucks!
Never trust the Germans...

By the way:
Gentlemen, I now adress to those of you who live outside the former Soviet Union. I want to ask if you have Maidan reports in your mass media (radio, TV, newspapers) or you get it via internet only. Because in Russia journalists say that a lot of europeans and americans keep calling Euromaidan a peaceful protest because they simply do not know what is actually going on right now.
Plenty, YLE (Finnish state news agency) has had constant insanely politically correct and neutral coverage since the beginning, and others put up at least small snippets between all that olympic coverage. Olettekomuutenhuomanneet (trans:haveyounoticed) has been following few Finnish reporters in Ukraine tweeting about the violence and protestors opinions and actions (including using molotovs cocktails, stoning polices, getting shot by polices and burning of vehicles and buildings) since 16th of january. Plenty of other media groups (like ESS) have frequent updates about how things have escalated and what's happening right now (as far as they can tell). Links are in Finnish.

Also the armbands make the wearer an easier targer. It would be just silly to wear them for police officers who know that protesters have weapons, but it makes a lot of sense if they are worn by provocateurs to recognize allies at distance, since they aren`t going to fight anyone who is armed.
It's common military practice to have visible sign to separate any special detachments from your regular troops if they operate together with civilians in the area, I don't doubt that police wouldn't use it as well. Also, I don't buy your shoe explanation either. As far as I can tell they look like regular boots in other pics.

I'm just watching a special report on German TV. Their correspondent in Kiev said, they had heard rumors that the guys with the yellow stripes are a special force called Omega units, who are directly responsible to the president and have been seen near the presidential seat.
As I understand it the yellow stripes cover up the normal unit tags. Correspondents have filmed these guys and seen them with the police force, but what exactly they are is not verified.
This would suggest that they are cooperating with regular police, even if they have separate command structure.

Link
Thanks, saved me the trouble of digging it up. I'd like to see what news in our beloved eastern neighbour are like, but unfortunately I don't speak russia.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 20, 2014, 06:09:33 pm »

The armbands theory has about as much credibility as the theory that FSB are behind Beslan and the Moscow apartment bombings to bolster support for Putin and discredit the Caucasian rebels. Neither of those routes are very sensible to go down at this stage for all sorts of reasons, I would recommend keeping to hard facts or things will get very messy.
Even less credibility, since no one outside this thread talks about it.

In more relevant news, parliament might also discuss changes to the constitution tomorrow. Negotiations continue into the night, now with Yanukovych, the FMs of Poland and Germany and later also opposition leaders.

Protests on Maidan remain calm, though protesters don't seem too happy about negotiations with Yanukovych.

There are rumors that the president of parliament has left the country with his family. Also rumors that big businessmen are leaving Kiev for Donetsk, maybe also the general prosecutor.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:22 pm »

Apparently troops were moved into Donetsk as well.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:44 pm »

Many are running away to that bad EU they dislike so much. Why not to Russia?
Spoiler: But.... (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 20, 2014, 06:26:47 pm »

I'm not sure I get the image.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »

Difficult to say at the moment. Could be a sign that the regime is expected to collapse. Central authority is definitely weakened by regions declaring or threatening to declare autonomy. Also the parliament is acting on its own, with reportedly 238 of 450 MPs present.

I'm not sure I get the image.
Flights appear to be sent back to Ukraine. Perhaps because of visa sanctions? These shouldn't be enacted yet though.
Not really sure if I get it either.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:31:48 pm by XXSockXX »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »

Gentlemen, I now adress to those of you who live outside the former Soviet Union. I want to ask if you have Maidan reports in your mass media (radio, TV, newspapers) or you get it via internet only. Because in Russia journalists say that a lot of europeans and americans keep calling Euromaidan a peaceful protest because they simply do not know what is actually going on right now.

It's being covered as violent here (United States, California) in either National Public Radio or the local physical newspapers.  I don't use those forms of media myself, but when I told my mother (offhand--I realize this isn't true) "You know that there's a civil war in Ukraine?" she agreed--she would have said "Oh, I thought it was just protests" or something like that if it weren't being portrayed as serious civil unrest in our media.

On the other hand, my Facebook feed doesn't have anything about it AT ALL--so I think the media penetration may not be too good, or just that there are not so many of my friends here who are so invested in Eastern Europe as Asia and the Middle East.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »

So opposition leaders have joined the negotiations. I wouldn't expect results anytime soon.

The Ministry of Defense refuses to communicate with the Pentagon and has done so for the whole week, which is considered unusual (there have been talks on other levels, between Biden and Yanukovich).

Crimean regional parliament is going to debate seceding tomorrow, as has been mentioned before.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »

So I'm hearing reports of sudden escalated violence, live munitions, a lot more bad stuff happening, is this concurrent with what you guys are hearing?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:00 pm »

Just because they are using guns, does not always mean live ammo. I am not there but it could be the case that some of them are using rubber bullets.
Anyways, what is the latest news?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »

64 VIP flights scheduled to leave Ukraine today, stores are emptied when people are hoarding food, right wingers are arming protestors with guns and live ammo...
Nothing about fighting yet.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:58 am »

Apparently Yanukovitch reached a deal with the opposition this morning. Details are still fuzzy, but include constitutional reform, presidential elections and a coalition government. Nothing about an amnesty.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 286