Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48943 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #255 on: October 09, 2014, 04:17:37 pm »

I spend way too much time just killing orcs.
You say that as if this isn't the main feature of the game.

True, it's not like the nemesis system isn't the main pull here. I just hope they expand upon it and add more story while making it more RELEVANT to the story, honestly it seems to take forever to get one guy to come back with a scar after you're end game powerful. Maybe it's a glitch, but if I say kill five or six guys in a row (Without decapitations) it's unlikely one of them will show up while I hunt down other orcs, I don't know what the exact formula for actually making them spawn again is, I know you can't just pass time or die (Which passes time) and it seems like if you stay in one place for a long time they are more likely to show up, if they show up at all.

I wish I knew the exact steps to make it happen consistently, so I can keep my favorite orcs as art pieces of scars.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 09, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »

You know what would be the logical evolution of the Nemesis system here?

Make it for multiple states. Also make it for things like politics and diplomacy, not only war.

Bam, you've got the actual living world.
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 09, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »

I think an easy improvement would be for captains to gain 1 power and an appropriate scar if you make them flee.  The power is due to their burning haaate of you, same reason death threats superpower them.  That way we could steadily terrorize a captain, taunting him into becoming a powerful orc hero, obsessed with vengeance - then reap his runic bounty!  Or enslave his mind!  Haha!  Nyaahahaha!

Suddenly JRPG villains make even more sense to me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 09, 2014, 04:59:55 pm »

Yeah, branding is completely overpowered. The game goes super duper easy when you get that ability. Your best bet is to not use it at all.

Honestly, almost everything in this game is completely overpowered.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »

You know what would be the logical evolution of the Nemesis system here?

Make it for multiple states. Also make it for things like politics and diplomacy, not only war.

Bam, you've got the actual living world.
Hell fucking yes.

Maybe add a Massively Singleplayer feature. It's singleplayer, but actions of other players affect your world, a bit like you get Vendetta missions. Overall it may balance nations as players cater roughly equally.
Just make it optional. And a "just friends".

Imagine a sort of Mount&Blade take on it. "Oh hey, I killed one of your guys last night. Tough bastard. [name] I think it was." "OH NO YOU DIDNT" "What? He was important?" "I was grooming him as a [high level class], you're so dead. I don't know yet what I'll destroy but you will pay for that."

Or a more CK2 approach, with dynastic links. All the revenges and grudges. Nnnnnnnngh
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 10, 2014, 02:58:32 pm »

Familialcide is the solution.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »

Finished the game (with 77% completion - all Artifacts, Ithildin and weapon missions completed). The Nemesis system really is fantastic-slash-hilarious.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next time, I'll definitely do a self-imposed challenge. Probably not upgrade health more than 2 times or so. I'm not sure what else.

Poison-wielders are my greatest foe; my first death was to a regular crossboworc. Thirsty for vengeance, I went straight after him... and found out he had become a poison, rapid-fire crossbower. He proceeded to utterly annihillate me at close range. And then proceed to pop up at the most inopportune moments to torment me. Sadly, I eventually started killing him and did so one times too many, and he  stopped coming back.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »

I'm not sure how I feel about the Nemesis system. It's a fantastic idea, but it seems to me that it's massively overused. What I mean by that is that you go through so many of these guys that none of them ever really ends up feeling special and memorable. The fact that the game is very easy doesn't exactly help.

What the game's really missing, IMO, are actual bosses. The Nemesis system was supposed to dynamically make bosses for you, but because it makes so many of them and the game is so easy they end up feeling like regular enemies that you kill without really paying attention to them. To me it feels like normal uruks are just mobile hit streak point dispensers that die if you so much as sneeze vaguely in their direction, the Nemesis captains and warchiefs are regular enemies, and the bosses just aren't there.

That Talon fight where the game tells you to kill your nemesis? It presented me with an uruk that I'd never seen before. Why? Well because captains and warchiefs ceased being able to kill me some ten or fifteen hours before that, and ever since that point any and every captain or warchief that I met died in the encounter. Perhaps the devs should have just made them more powerful across the board, or perhaps there should have been a tier above the warchiefs for a single uruk that would make that uruk super-powerful to make sure he can actually pose a threat and act as your nemesis. Perhaps the game should have been a bit more scripted. Rather than pick an uruk to be your nemesis in the fight at the time of the fight, the game could have picked an uruk to be your nemesis early on, perhaps based on him being able to kill you, and then simply made sure that you weren't able to kill him. Or something.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2014, 05:22:36 pm »

From what I've seen, the combat could've been greatly improved if the Talion wasn't the only "agility fighter" in the game.

From what I've seen, the only tactic the orc/uruks know is "surround and poke". Giving enemies weaker combo-attacks would be also nice.

Reducing the sheer amount of slowdowns would have also helped. Seriously, if it happens so often, it stops being cool and starts being annoying.
._.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2014, 05:27:11 pm »

Rune Farming, easy way:

Collect Captains, make them Bodyguards of Warlord X.

Betray Warlord X.

Captain 1 (Bodyguard) - will become Warlord X, but not flee (since betrayal mission). Kill him. Captain 2 (Bodyguard) will become new Warlord. Kill him, continue.

Also kills fun real quick.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2014, 07:30:45 pm »

Some better hunter orcs would've been interesting, assassins and such who track you.

My Nemesis was Noruk the Crow, a dude who I'd fought many times and died to many times, and finally killed in a kickass fight, so I was happy with who I got for mine (and I didn't know about the final boss nemesis so it was extra rad to see him) but I killed him with a headshot before we even reached the battle line so :/

Overall I think the batman combat system can be fun for a while but it really limits what you can actually do.  Something more tactical and less rhythm-based would be fun, maybe a AAA version of the Mount and Blade combat.  That'd also make it so you can't just run in guns blazing and take on twenty uruks.  As it stands 90% of captains can be killed by Stun-Flurry-Execute chains and the ones that aren't have some other glaring weakness to exploit.

Very early on the captains were tough.  As time went though they got less challenging.  Doing the Endless Trials of War mode with a fresh character might be interesting.  No upgrades or just the bare minimum to function.
Shoes...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2014, 03:23:09 am »

As it stands 90% of captains can be killed by Stun-Flurry-Execute chains and the ones that aren't have some other glaring weakness to exploit.
Yeah, exactly. And you're invincible while you're doing the execution, too, so it doesn't matter that there's fifty other guys around you. It's slash, slash, execute, execute, slash slash, execute, execute. Or just use the special ability to chain infinite executes on the captain until he keels over. And if all else fails, mind control the fifty other uruks and let them beat the shit out of him.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2014, 03:41:38 am »

Yeah it really shows the lack of any sort of special enemies which break down the normal flow of the combat.

Like, I dunno, goblin net throwers?
._.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »

Nah, it just needs to give the orc captains "immune to stuns".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2014, 01:04:14 am »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26