Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48947 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2014, 09:44:35 am »

The story also falls VERY flat towards the end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2014, 02:27:57 pm »

Spoiler: not really a spoiler (click to show/hide)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:53 pm »

Spoiler: not really a spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: speuler (click to show/hide)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2014, 06:02:46 am »

I'm not sure if this was posted before or not, but I'm posting it anyway!

Someone on the dev team is clearly a long-time DF fan. :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:09:46 am by Sordid »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:00 am »

Haha yeah, I took a screenshot but forgot to post that.  Definite reference  :D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2014, 10:36:36 am »

Whoever designed the models for these artifacts did a really good job. I actually enjoyed hunting these just to see the very well made models and sometime interesting lore bits.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2014, 11:26:31 am »

They lifted this minigame straight out of Tomb Raider (though it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if TR copied it from somewhere else as well, in fact Skyrim did this same thing with the dragon claws and their associated puzzle doors). Except in TR the thins you were looking for were actually a part of the object, here it's just a glowing blue dot that bears no relation to anything. So in TR you'd find a statuette and Lara would comment on it wondering whether it was an antique dating back to the time of Genghis Khan. Then you'd turn it over to find "Made in China" stamped on the underside, and she'd be like "oh, nevermind then".

On the other hand, the things you found in TR didn't really tell you anything about anything. Here these collectibles give you lore that's actually relevant to the story and characters. I really like that you get a bit of lore in the description, then you get another bit of lore when you find the memory, and then you get yet another bit of lore when Talion and the wraith have a brief discussion of it. Which is another thing. The fact that you have two characters sharing the same body allows the protagonist to comment on things without looking like a total weirdo who talks to himself all the time, as is the case in a lot of other games. The longer I play this game and think about how it's actually put together, the more I'm starting to realize it's really cleverly designed in a lot of ways.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2014, 11:40:27 am »

Same here.  I was expecting to get a decent horde-brawler like Space Marine, with an enjoyable grind in killing/enslaving the minibosses.  To my surprise it's overcoming my expectations nicely.  The wraith character and mechanics particularly, the way he appears when we do elfy things.  It reminds me a bit of tag-team combos in marvel vs capcom, except more fluid and natural.

The first time we countered two attacks at once - that was flipping awesome.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2014, 03:33:40 pm »

Heh, wait till you see the teleporting super chain executions.

When I discovered that the teleporting jump didn't have an actual range limit, I laughed my bloody arse off.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2014, 03:40:57 pm »

When I discovered that the teleporting jump didn't have an actual range limit, I laughed my bloody arse off.
Well, there sort of is.  After about 500m out the enemies don't highlight themselves in wraith vision, disallowing you to jump that far.

Everything below that is fair game however.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2014, 03:54:01 pm »

Its OP as fuuuuuuuuck.

... But also rather awesome.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2014, 04:00:46 pm »

Oh yeah, you do become absurdly powerful towards the end. It even feels like the game needlessly throws away a perfectly good bit of depth and gameplay when it comes to riding animals. You spend like an hour learning how to hunt and ride these creatures, and you do it in different ways. With caragors you have to either jump on top of them from above or counter their attack to stun them, and you can't counter just any attack, it has to be a charge, so you have to put a bit of distance between you and the caragor because otherwise it'll just bite and you can't counter that. And with graugs you have to shoot it in the head, then shoot it in the head again while its disoriented to make it sit down, then run up to it and jump up, and then it's like a series of QTEs as you climb up the huge thing... Just getting a creature to ride is a pretty involved process, that is until you take the instant-mount-teleport-at-any-range skill. At that point the game just throws its hands up and goes "oh fuck it, just point at the bloody thing and press a button, that'll do".

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2014, 04:12:40 pm »

Speaking of the teleport-to-mount skill, I actually used that on the Dire Caragor that your dwarf buddy makes you ride before the fight with the Graug.  It was fun because off to the side he stops in mid sentence and just goes:

"Huh, well that was... Odd."

Good to see that someone thought to put that contingency in the game.

Also, on the whole "You're overpowered as hell," I think it's sort of expected.  I mean you are attached to Celebrimbor after all, guy who made the rings.  Sauron can't materialize without the power of the rings or the shade of Celebrimbor.  It stands to reason that you'll become pretty damned powerful when you're tag-teaming with a guy that important.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:27:05 pm by Karkov »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »

I got 200 something hit combo in a never ending stronghold alert heh. Kinda abusing the system with knife throw and wraith flash/wraith finisher combo.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:21 pm »

Karkov that sort of the might be considered a spoiler...

Not that I care, I completed the main quest a couple hours ago.  Pretty sweet!  Since then I've been screwing around with my slaves.  I wish I could have them fight each other, heh.

I was leveling my pet warchief Orush (?) the Blue for a while, having him challenge lesser chiefs and then killing them for him.  He wasn't actually that effective of an orc, really.  Yeah, wasn't... He got himself killed while I was distracted chasing down the captain he'd been "fighting".  It's weird, we were in an alerted stronghold, but he just seemed to be standing there.  I didn't think the reinforcements were even targeting him, in fact I could have sworn he had high health a few seconds before death.  I think his only weakness was to stealth...  Ah well, I needed to take a break anyway.

I don't even remember what he dropped.  I kinda stopped upgrading my equipment halfway through the game, and I have a ton of unused skill points.  I rarely die as it is, the only really challenging thing is berserkers.  Grr... auto-hit me just for attacking, huh?  They're the main reason I spam spacebar to vault-over-and-stun.  Seriously, I use that way too much.

While the nemesis system is great, it doesn't scale up the challenge as you succeed.  Only as you fail.  I'd like the new captains to start at much higher level (maybe as an option, or some in-universe thing like writing Sauron nasty letters by crow) and to appear in packs more.

When the army shows a little skull totem instead of a corpse, does that mean the captain is going to come back for vengeance?
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26