Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28842 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2014, 01:55:48 am »

STEM referces to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. Basically it is a circlejerk term for a select few fields that would like to think themselves 'objective' and 'logical' and all those good things that translate to 'better than your subject'... Once a month we gather in a lab to dance around a giant abacus while chanting about the evils of creative thought.
People in Korean education think that someone must excel in all aspects of STEAM to become a global leader who with creativity and strong innovative leadership brings Korea to prosperity.

Guess how many of those words are buzzwords :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2014, 03:38:40 am »

There are some who would say programming is personified as a woman, thanks to Augusta King often being attributed to being the first programmer, although that is a subject of debate. It does seem, however, that she was the first to see a computer program as being able to handle concepts more advanced than just numbers. She was the first to really see programming as a study of logic, rather than just a tool for mathematicians. Regardless of if she was in truth the first computer programmer, her fingerprints remain on just about everything digital we use today.

I've been really confused until I googled the name. Dammit, why can one person have two equally valid names? (Augusta King vs. Ada Lovelace. I know the latter last name is technically a title).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2014, 03:46:14 am »

Changed thread title to indicate we're really here to bash postmodernism, not feminism in general.

On that track, what do people think this sort of "anti"-knowledge crowd have on feminism as a whole? To my mind, telling girls that logic isn't fit for proper feminist women isn't going to be helpful to getting more women into STEM fields.

Arguably, these voices may be so marginalized that they're not able to dissuade any girls from properly studying any STEM fields if they wish to, but labeling standard logic as against feminism or non-feminist clearly isn't helping.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:54:01 am by Reelya »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2014, 03:52:16 am »

All the postmodernists should be rounded up and shot.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2014, 04:06:20 am »

Changed thread title to indicate we're really here to bash postmodernism, not feminism in general.

On that track, what do people think this sort of "anti"-knowledge crowd have on feminism as a whole? To my mind, telling girls that logic isn't fit for proper feminist women isn't going to be helpful to getting more women into STEM fields.

Arguably, these voices may be so marginalized that they're not able to dissuade any girls from properly studying any STEM fields if they wish to, but labeling standard logic as against feminism or non-feminist clearly isn't helping.

Are you expecting people who are anti-logic to behave logically?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2014, 04:11:25 am »

I've been really confused until I googled the name. Dammit, why can one person have two equally valid names? (Augusta King vs. Ada Lovelace. I know the latter last name is technically a title).
"Ada Lovelace" is a middle name followed by a barony, while "Augusta King" is a famous programmer.  :P
Ok in all honestly, had I the pleasure of knowing her in person I would most likely call her Ada anyway, so I think both names count.

That is a bit much, some postmodernists make great music!
Anyway, discredit something enough and eventually it will die. It might take some time, in the worst cases centuries, but the important part is to keep fighting the good fight. No need to resort to shooting people when you are in the right.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2014, 04:15:26 am »

"Ada Lovelace" is a middle name followed by a barony, while "Augusta King" is a famous programmer.  :P
Ok in all honestly, had I the pleasure of knowing her in person I would most likely call her Ada anyway, so I think both names count.

That is a bit much, some postmodernists make great music!
Anyway, discredit something enough and eventually it will die. It might take some time, in the worst cases centuries, but the important part is to keep fighting the good fight. No need to resort to shooting people when you are in the right.

Except Po-Mo is like that kid who refuses to acknowledge defeat in a game, except instead of 'Ha, you didn't, I'm invincible!' it's either 'Relativism!' or 'Constructivism!'.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:52 am »

Not all postmodernists are bad, I think, just the ones abusing the "false premise" clause in logic. These can be shot.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2014, 04:18:12 am »

Except Po-Mo is like that kid who refuses to acknowledge defeat in a game, except instead of 'Ha, you didn't, I'm invincible!' it's either 'Relativism!' or 'Constructivism!'.
Sounds a lot like organised religion, and while that is one hell of a nut to crack, the cracks are showing...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:37 am »

Postmodernism is more like a heresy. And heresies need to be purged. Seriously, what do you think God Emperor of Mankind would want you to do to these people?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2014, 04:25:02 am »

Postmodernism is more like a heresy. And heresies need to be purged. Seriously, what do you think God Emperor of Mankind would want you to do to these people?

Of course not, he used to be a scientist.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2014, 03:23:41 pm »

Sounds a lot like organised religion, and while that is one hell of a nut to crack, the cracks are showing...
Meh, excessive violence works better on them as well. Remember Catharism? No? Excellent.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2014, 03:44:18 pm »

Meh, excessive violence works better on them as well. Remember Catharism? No? Excellent.

I do. Nobody would care to learn about them if not for the fact that they happened to be brutally exterminated. Otherwise nobody would care except the experts. So, this might be a sub-optimal solution.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 07, 2014, 11:36:04 pm »

Interesting thread title.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 08, 2014, 05:03:45 pm »

People are a lot more offended by postmodernism than I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20