Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28815 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Feminist scholar Arielle Schlesinger has embarked on an exciting new project to transform the world of computing by doing research into the creation of a feminist programming language that will be freed from patriarchal modes of thinking.
Feminism is a polarizing ideology, a commanding word, and is a transformative concept. I am proud of my feminism.

Computer science is an amazing platform, a pervasive idea, and a space for creative problem solving. I am proud to be a computer scientist.

An important question then becomes, what does it mean to be a feminist and a computer scientist? To be a feminist and a programmer? How can we combine these disciplines?
[...]
In the scope of my research, a feminist programming language is to be built around a non-normative paradigm that represents alternative ways of abstracting. The intent is to encourage and allow new ways of thinking about problems such that we can code using a feminist ideology.

To succinctly sum up my research thus far I will outline the decomposition of my question below:

The idea came about while discussing normative and feminist subject object theory. I realized that object oriented programmed reifies normative subject object theory. This led me to wonder what a feminist programming language would look like, one that might allow you to create entanglements (Karen Barad Posthumanist Performativity).

I realized that to program in a feminist way, one would ideally want to use a feminist programming language. So what is a feminist programming language? Well I took a look at the major programming paradigms, the following are the four main groups a programming language can fall into: imperative, functional, object-oriented, and logic. I decided to explore feminist logic such that a feminist programming language could be derived.

I am currently exploring feminist critiques of logic in hopes of outlining a working framework for the creation of a feminist programming language.

Thoughts and opinions on how this could proceed?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:44:52 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:55:20 am »

Non-sequitur tier stupid. Feminism and programing languages have no more intersection than game theory and quantum mechanics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:03:45 am »

Less than that actually. It's like politics trying to meddle with astronomy or mathematics, like back then when they tried to pass a law to make pi equal to 3.14 and get rid of this irrational nonsense.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:07:02 am »

Non-sequitur tier stupid. Feminism and programing languages have no more intersection than game theory and quantum mechanics.

Good news everyone!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Quantum Game Theory Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:07:44 am »

Oh, on the contrary, there is plenty of QM-game theory intersection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_game_theory
I'm finding a good half dozen papers on the subject with a simple google search. Essentially, it all boils down to information theory. ;P
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/130703/ncomms3057/full/ncomms3057.html

Fakedit: gah ninjas

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:08:54 am »

Dumbest. Shit. Ever.
No, just no. How can I even. This is why. That doesn't! Fuck it, you know that? Let them go off and develop some shitty high level language that does back flips to try and make sense of what ever they are thinking, and nobody with any common sense will use it ever.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:10:08 am »

Oh Jesus look at the comment section on that website in the OP. Just look at it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 01:11:48 am »

Good news everyone!
* MetalSlimeHunt loses 8 SAN.

Fucking quantum mechanics. I knew it. When I was writing those words, there was a minority faction of my brain that said "No, you should probably replace that with something else, who even knows what kind of crazy alternate reality shit QM might be pulling that you don't know about". But I didn't listen.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:12:01 am »

Er, good luck to her I guess. She's setting a high bar for herself by assuming she can create a new approach to logic that is inherently feminist. I suppose I can kind of see the possibility?.....But the notion is so entirely vague that it's a little hard to see as more than a political statement.

I think this type of logic represents the feminist idea that something can be and not be without being a contradiction, that is a system where the following statement is not explosive: (p && ¬p) == 1.

...Well, good luck on making that work in a practical sense.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:15:46 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:12:52 am »

What the hell man? It was only a D6... This is serious!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:28 am »

What the hell man? It was only a D6... This is serious!
d6+2. Temporal Uncertainty has its drawbacks.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 01:24:39 am »

They need to balance the rulebook for meta-physics, you just can't get into the higher levels without serious hits to your SAN, CHA and WIS scores...

Anyway, formal logic is formal logic is formal logic. Those subjective programmers in the comments section working against a language rather than with it? I bet they don't even know what a system sequence diagram is!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:31:38 am »

Er, good luck to her I guess. She's setting a high bar for herself by assuming she can create a new approach to logic that is inherently feminist. I suppose I can kind of see the possibility?.....But the notion is so entirely vague that it's a little hard to see as more than a political statement.

I think this type of logic represents the feminist idea that something can be and not be without being a contradiction, that is a system where the following statement is not explosive: (p && ¬p) == 1.

...Well, good luck on making that work in a practical sense.
Apparently that is a thing, one of several alternate logic systems developed over the centuries (which have no link to feminism) called paraconsistent logic. And it's already in use by computer scientists. I guess they weren't using it in a "feminist" way though, like she would. It seems to be mainly used for coding AI heuristic algorithms, where uncertainty is a big issue, so I can't see how a whole language built around it would be good for entry-level coders or day-to-day programming tasks. In any case, you could just code an abstract data type in any object-oriented language to be one of these data types, so you don't need a whole new language to take advantage of the add expressiveness for niche domains.

Her main idea however is to create a new language which is neither procedural, functional, imperative, or object oriented - good luck with THAT part.

In any case, I don't even see this as feminism-related. This fuzzy-thinking is entirely the fault of postmodern studies, but "postmodern X" doesn't sell, so you label it "feminist X" and you have a whole lot of moral weight behind you, and you can accuse anyone who objects as an agent of the patriarchy. Postmodernism is like a cult.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:36:38 am by Reelya »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:59 am »

I guess she could design her own version of the JVM that allocates itself 50% of your computers ram.  :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 01:39:02 am »

From the comments: "A feminist programming language is a language that respects the agency of objects, acting upon them only upon mutual consent."

Poe's law is stretching my disbelief. The guy seems serious.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20