Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28841 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:50 pm »

So where does political science fit in this hierarchy of snobbery? Can someone tell me what shade of untermensch I am?

Political science is the love child of the one night stand between economics and history...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2014, 11:35:59 pm »

So where does political science fit in this hierarchy of snobbery? Can someone tell me what shade of untermensch I am?

Political science is the love child of the one night stand between economics and history...
The secret that nobody cops to is that statistics and humanities were in the room at the time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:39:44 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2014, 11:38:24 pm »

That kid is going to grow up some with serious family issues...

I like my computer science, one of the younger children in the engineering family.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2014, 11:39:53 pm »

I will admit, though, that I torpedoed my standing with all of you by going Liberal Arts so that I had an excuse to take classes with the fun, eccentric English professors without the honors program head bothering me about not filling requirements in poly sci/international affairs. :x

3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #259 on: February 04, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »

In Korea, STEAM is the cool thing! It's like stem but better in some unfathomable way.

(A stands for Arts).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:57:59 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:54 am »

When all you have is a Liberal Arts degree everything looks like a social construct, I guess.

I'm a Liberal Arts major and I laughed.

In Korea, STEAM is the cool thing! It's like stem but better in some unfathomable way.

(A stands for Arts).

OK, I haven't heard this STEM acronym before, but I'll guess... science, technology, engineering, math?

So if you add art to that you get... everything?  I joke but seriously, that's like everything that doesn't lead to you being someone's boss.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:39 am »

From what I have seen business programmers can pretty easily move into project management. They use a lot of the same charts anyway.  :P
Funny that programming is notorious for poor project management.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2014, 01:18:47 am »

When all you have is a Liberal Arts degree everything looks like a social construct, I guess.

I'm a Liberal Arts major and I laughed.
I'm partly through in the course and I laughed too!
...It wasn't fully a happy one.

However I don't quite get why everyone's referencing STEM here.
Non-programmer. Bear with me. :X

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2014, 01:25:34 am »

STEM referces to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. Basically it is a circlejerk term for a select few fields that would like to think themselves 'objective' and 'logical' and all those good things that translate to 'better than your subject'... Once a month we gather in a lab to dance around a giant abacus while chanting about the evils of creative thought.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2014, 01:28:08 am »

I like my computer science, one of the younger children in the engineering family.

I like to think of computer science more as Maths had a baby, and then it's big brother Engineering started raising it after Maths proved to be an abusive parent :)

Also I don't know why but when I personify the fields maths is a woman. Weird, maybe it's because most of my maths teachers at school, college and university have been female.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:32:25 am by MorleyDev »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 05, 2014, 01:42:07 am »

There are some who would say programming is personified as a woman, thanks to Augusta King often being attributed to being the first programmer, although that is a subject of debate. It does seem, however, that she was the first to see a computer program as being able to handle concepts more advanced than just numbers. She was the first to really see programming as a study of logic, rather than just a tool for mathematicians. Regardless of if she was in truth the first computer programmer, her fingerprints remain on just about everything digital we use today.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:23 am »

Can we all agree that the business majors are just there to coast by and party? At least that's what it looks like around here.

3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:57 am »

her fingerprints remain on just about everything digital we use today.

I'll remember that if I ever want to commit murder.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:22 am »

Can we all agree that the business majors are just there to coast by and party? At least that's what it looks like around here.
Deal! Now...Can we all agree that medicine is not, in fact a field of science? Well it can be, but your GP with a medical degree is not a scientist.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:58 am »

Deal! Now...Can we all agree that medicine is not, in fact a field of science? Well it can be, but your GP with a medical degree is not a scientist.

My mom is a former microbiolgist, and she has talked in the past about how bad a lot of medical research was.  So despite being in a field soft as cheese, I can attest to this.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20