Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Trader of Favors (SG)  (Read 28474 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Trader of Favors (SG)
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:59 am »

Trader of Favors, a Pactbinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first thing you tend to is donning the clothes, this might provide you with a vestige of dignity. Thankfully the blood that has leaked out of you is quite congealed, and shouldn't be staining these fine clothes any. After doing so you turn to your old "friend" and prepare to remind him there was much more to your bargain. "I cannot help but notice my servant is not here, and that you are not forthcoming in providing me with the power i was promised."

He grins, showing sharpened teeth. "You are quite right. Your servant will take more time to arrange safe passage for than we had initially hoped, he will arrive in four days time, which unfortunatly leaves me in an uncomfortable position." He gives an exaggerated expression of despair. "My obligation is impossible to fill in that time, regardless of what else i give you now i must still wait before i am free of our contract. However. He points a finger in the air, preparing to make a declaration. The power i have now, which i am obligated to give to you, could still be useful, rather than sitting in my hoard uselessly, it could be working to make us both more power."

As he's been speaking you've been arranging your other things. Depositing your hellstone in your breast-pocket, and strapping on your sword. The bag of valuable stones you tie to your belt, though it's too heavy to hang there indefinitely it's a good enough place to put the bag for now, and your empty pocket is far too small. "What then do you propose?

The demons grin returns. "Loan that power to me. I have an oppurtunity back in hell that i could use all the power within my disposal for. Then, in four days time, i'll give it to you as promised... with interest.

His incessant grin is irritating, but his offer is tempting. Your assets are terribly limited, and Vilstak is currently your only access to the goods and services available in hell. Still... there is a certain amount of risk to this, and it means you'd have to go four more days with only a mortal level of bodily strength and eyesight.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 02:33:13 am »

A reminder, he's talking about investing our demon eyes and demon strength.
It's a risky proposition, but it could put him back in our debt if we let him do it and we play this right.
What do you guys think?
Whether or not we get these right now, our imp will wait for four days.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:34 am »

Say we are tempted, but what does he intend to do, if - against all odds, of that much we are sure - but what if he manages to loose our powers...
He needs to understand that we really have much more to loose than to gain, given our unsightly predictment. We would very much like a kind of insurance in this matter.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2014, 07:16:13 am »

Maybe try and convince him for a small amount of power as insurance on that loan and then let him have the other powers for those four days.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:36 am »

Hmm... I think we should only give him some of our power, ie, the demon eyes, and to give us our strength back now. Later, he can return with a smaller amount of interest if he succeeds.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2014, 12:38:55 pm »

This is risky. We may lose those power definitively. The idea of interests is tempting though.
I say we ask him what exactly he intends to do, to gauge the risk we're taking. It's not like we can tell anyone about his plans anyway.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2014, 12:43:19 pm »

I say ask him what's up and gauge the risk. If he decides to not tell us then we take what we have and walk.

I look at this as an investor, if I don't have the info to make a EDUCATED guest then don't swing. We'll find other more lucrative deals.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 03:36:51 pm »

Say we are tempted, but what does he intend to do...
He needs to understand that we really have much more to loose than to gain, given our unsightly predictment. We would very much like a kind of insurance in this matter.
+1 Say we are interested but want to know more, since we would be betting almost all of our power on him. Also, ask him about that "interest" he's offering. Is it something concrete so we could judge it's usefullness to us in our current state, or some amount of that "Debt" we used in the beginning that seems to be important in this game?

Edit: One more thing! While we're talking, ask if he knows the local date. Just a small distraction while talking about something else. I mean, just because he could crush us like a bug doesn't mean we have to act like that's the case. I don't mean we should rub his face in it, but we were superior to his superiors superriors (etc.) not so long ago, if he underestimates us then he's clearly not worth trusting our powers with.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:47:25 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2014, 01:38:25 am »

Trader of Favors, a Pactbinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You give it some thought, but find the information you need to make a decision wanting. "There are a whole lot of hidden variables you arn't being forthcoming with, i need better than that if you're to be handling the great majority of my assets any longer. What venture am i investing in exactly? What is my interest going to be? And lastly...  If i go through with this, i think i'm going to need collateral.

Mercantilism 1D20+5= 14 Vs. 1d20+?= 22

Your bargaining is rusty, and Vilstak is well aware of his position of power in this situation, of his deep usefulness. The information he feeds you is only what he wishes to give you, what he offers is that which is of little import to him, but still vital to you all the same.
He tells you that he has managed to secure a claim on your old estate, and that he plans on taking it for himself. He will invest power in a champion to fight on his behalf against another claimant, a vassal of your former lord. If he is successful he will have swiped the estate out from underneath your former lord and into his own hands, or at the least, the hands of his own lord.
Striking back at your former master, "Arastoss, Lord of Spears ", is a tempting prospect in itself. The damage to him would be minor, but in a fashion the idea of taking what was yours back from him to some measure is a satisfying one. You wouldn't even be directly implicated if there was failure, and Vilstak would still be obligated to you if he failed. Though it wouldn't matter if you were destroyed in the meantime.

The deal you manage to bargain out of Vilstak is a plain enough one. Vilstak refuses to provide any debt as collateral, but will give you a tiny advance, just enough power that you might actually be able to use some of your least straining powers or fix your body up some. A bit of mortal suffering to assuage the empty feeling in your coffers. In four days time he will return, bringing not only the power he promised you, but also mortal debt, and various useful goods from the markets of the multiverse. He'll even bring more than he owes you, so that you will have choice, and will be able to trade with him if you come by valuables of your own. However, if you walk away from this deal he will do no more than meet his obligations, and will happily never seek you out again. If by some misfortune he is forced to default, then renegotiations will be reopened, possibly ending with him providing you with debt of his own.

Once a demonic pact is sealed, there is no turning back without consequences. What is your choice?

Adventuring Vagabond

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2014, 03:01:42 am »

Invest!

also PTW.
Quote from: Xantalos
Quote from: RangerCado
...This is what is going to kill bay12.
You know not what B12 has survived. Nevertheless, it'll still self destruct in a few days.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2014, 04:32:11 am »

So even if he fails he's still obligated to give us the power he owes us. The whole risk is spending four more days on a weak status then.
I think we can manage that. Invest.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:20 am »

Why not? *make the deal and seal with a smile* Tell your champion to beat him with his own head.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:15 am »

That is a good deal.
Invest. But... don't look eager about it there's probably a catch.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »

That is a good deal.

nah, i think he's out for a personel gain. besides i don't think demons would be in cahoots with another master...without that master KNOWING fully well what's going on and stopping it before it even started.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:45 pm »

That is a good deal.

nah, i think he's out for a personel gain. besides i don't think demons would be in cahoots with another master...without that master KNOWING fully well what's going on and stopping it before it even started.
Demons are prone to betrayal.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15