Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52764 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2014, 10:34:47 am »

The manual is your friend in this case. It should tell you exactly how to pickpocket and such.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2014, 10:46:00 am »

Honestly, it's probably easier to get some high Speechcraft and Taunt them. They'll attack you, the wrath of the guards will descend upon them instead, and you can loot their corpse.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 10:47:22 am »

Yup. Time to play Morrowind again. Or continue my current char.

I think my most recent quest was finding out where the Dwarfs are...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2014, 10:55:15 am »

As far as I can tell with any of the Bethesda games, pickpocketing/stealth in general is very much an all-or-nothing skill. Be prepared to spend a long time working on it to get a reasonable success or sneak rate, and if they're using the early model of it that made it to Fallout: NV, you'll be sacrificing a lot for light armor just to get that opening crit.

I don't recall having much success with primary magic or primary archer characters in Morrowind for various reasons, and finickyness of stealth is one of the big ones.

Yup. Time to play Morrowind again. Or continue my current char.

I think my most recent quest was finding out where the Dwarfs are...

I feel the same way every time someone mentions this game, but then I think of all the hours I'd spend on it and have stayed strong so far.

Best of luck to you on that... I understand that the information *is* in the game somewhere, but I never, ever found it myself and I looked everywhere. I had to use the wiki =(
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:05 am »

Well the game is still a little bit laggy, but not too bad, and I have to admit, it's really nice to be able to actually see what's in the distance. I didn't realize how restricted the view was until it was changed. I might fiddle with it a bit more to get it a bit faster, but it's within reason now.

I also noticed that when I harvest plants now, there is a visible change to show what I did. Mushrooms and flowers disappear, berries vanish from bushes... Very nice.

I guess I won't bother with pickpocketing. I do want to get into better lockpicking though. I leveled up security a lot of times and bought a bunch of lockpicks. I was relieved to find that people don't get mad when they see you picking a lock right in front of them, which is a bit odd, but without that I'd never be able to pick any locks because they're rarely out of view. How do you level sneak, anyway? Sneaking around doesn't seem to give it any experience.

Also, I woke up feeling crummy this morning, and it's only gotten worse over the course of the day. It seems that I have caught the flu. So I'll probably be spending a lot of time playing Morrowind now, instead of cleaning and doing work like I planned for this weekend...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30:01 am »

Well the game is still a little bit laggy, but not too bad, and I have to admit, it's really nice to be able to actually see what's in the distance. I didn't realize how restricted the view was until it was changed. I might fiddle with it a bit more to get it a bit faster, but it's within reason now.

I also noticed that when I harvest plants now, there is a visible change to show what I did. Mushrooms and flowers disappear, berries vanish from bushes... Very nice.

I guess I won't bother with pickpocketing. I do want to get into better lockpicking though. I leveled up security a lot of times and bought a bunch of lockpicks. I was relieved to find that people don't get mad when they see you picking a lock right in front of them, which is a bit odd, but without that I'd never be able to pick any locks because they're rarely out of view. How do you level sneak, anyway? Sneaking around doesn't seem to give it any experience.

Also, I woke up feeling crummy this morning, and it's only gotten worse over the course of the day. It seems that I have caught the flu. So I'll probably be spending a lot of time playing Morrowind now, instead of cleaning and doing work like I planned for this weekend...
Sneaking is leveled up by sneaking around without anyone seeing you. Which is much easier to determine in the later games, when you have an actual visibility meter.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2014, 12:31:36 pm »

Sappho: About the disposing of corpses, I THINK if you had that option on, then holding down Control and clicking "Dispose" will do so without picking up the items. So says the readme anyway. I don't actually have Morrowind installed at the moment, so it wouldn't be very easy for me to check.

Another thing I like about the code patch is that there is an option to make sneaking a toggle rather than a button you hold down. And an option so the "Ready Magic" button just quick casts the current spell. Both are conveniences to make the controls work more like Oblivion, rather than must-haves, but if you want to dabble in both melee and magic combat it's a huge benefit.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2014, 02:38:20 pm »

Hm... I don't suppose there's any mod that saves what page of your journal you last viewed? I did a little exploring and fiddling around before coming back to the quest I'm on now, and every time I open my journal to read the names of my targets again, I have to scroll back through 8 pages...

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2014, 02:39:50 pm »

Tribunal (or Bloodmoon ?), included a way to classify the journal with quests. There should be a tab with quests or something, that will make it easier for you to find something. Journal can be really messy after some time.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2014, 02:59:17 pm »

When in doubt, pen and paper are your best friends in old roleplaying games.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2014, 03:04:26 pm »

Sneaking is leveled up by sneaking around without anyone seeing you. Which is much easier to determine in the later games, when you have an actual visibility meter.

Actually, there IS an icon that pops up in the lower left corner, looking like this: That lets you know whether you're currently detected. (If you don't see it, it means somebody can see you). However, it's still not as useful as in later games.

As long as you're willing to mod, Sappho, I'd recommend the Morrowind Patch Project. The code patch only fixes those bugs that are impossible to fix by normal mods, and leaves the others to mods like this one.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »

Bit of a warning on pushing back the fog since you want a non-spoiled playthrough: There's at least one quest on the main quest line where you're supposed to locate a hard-to-find something in the wilderness, given only a starting point and a general direction to go. If you push back the fog enough, you can see the something from the starting point, which trivializes the quest. Then again, if you don't like following vague directions in the middle of nowhere, that particular spoiler might be a good thing.

I've been playing with distant cells set to two, and even that feels significantly less restrictive without being too revealing.

They'll attack you, the wrath of the guards will descend upon them instead...
Guards that defend you is a mod, actually. Vanilla Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon, guards will only act if you're attacked by a mob (or you attack an NPC).

As long as you're willing to mod, Sappho, I'd recommend the Morrowind Patch Project. The code patch only fixes those bugs that are impossible to fix by normal mods, and leaves the others to mods like this one.
The MOSG includes the BTB version of the unofficial patch.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:37:47 pm by Leyic »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2014, 03:53:59 pm »

Guards that defend you is a mod, actually. Vanilla Morrowind/Tribunal/Bloodmoon, guards will only act if you're attacked by a mob (or you attack an NPC).
... that said, unless my memory is seriously failing me, being attacked due to taunting and whatnot does stop killing them from being counted as murder. So it's a potential way to get around trouble with the guards and paying off bounties and whatnot. Don't recall bothering with it much, m'self. Would rather just steal everything >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »

Hm... I don't suppose there's any mod that saves what page of your journal you last viewed? I did a little exploring and fiddling around before coming back to the quest I'm on now, and every time I open my journal to read the names of my targets again, I have to scroll back through 8 pages...
The journal is more fiddly than it needs to be and not modable from my limited search. If you open it, click topics, then quests, then a list of active quests comes up, clicking one will bring up get all the entries relating to the quest. Sometimes there are things I remember people saying missing, but it's decent enough.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2014, 04:59:34 am »

So far I'm enjoying my romp through Morrowind again, it has been way too long. Aside from MGSO, I added in Galsiah's Character Development (a must have to lift some of the burden off the archaic system that practically requires power levelling early), Stealth Enhancements (since I generally play a Thief/Rogue/Assassin, and buffs/maluses to sneaking in daytime vs sneaking at a very dark night can have a bonus that outweighs the potential danger), and Creature Pack 1.1 (for a bit more variety in enemies, with "young" similar modifiers for early creature encounters, and level scaling up to 200 in the event I break 100 in skills/stats via GCD).

Finding some of them is a pain in the ass since a large majority of the mods I remember using no longer exist, are on PlanetElderScrolls (a dated site when it came out that hasn't aged well), or some random website that still carries the torch for a few mods.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25