Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241890 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #975 on: August 28, 2019, 01:27:48 pm »

If you desperatly need a young uber and have the free hangar space it might be worth it.
I used the scarab, which is still a decent damage dealer.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 28, 2019, 01:30:49 pm »

February 2604 - I win the Air Race for the first time in this run.

Yeah, the "mission" as a prize for that is weird and great.  I guess I could follow the advice in the newbie faq on the wiki, and buy the airspeeder when it shows up for that purpose, but the missions aren't common enough to be worth planning for specifically.

It's like two Young Ubers>Hands, 150 Jack tokens, and a mishmash of other stuff that shows up once a month, right? If you have the extra hangar space and cycle through gals, that means it covers itself in ~three months.

Now that I think about it, it's actually a pretty good deal, as long as you're not obsessively reloading whenever somebody dies.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 28, 2019, 01:56:04 pm »

It's also got an Academy... student?  Which I haven't seen otherwise until Campus Carnage missions.  I don't think they're particularly vital but unique research is unique research.

I mainly love them for the applause and music~

Yeah, the Panzerfaust explosion I saw barely missed a gal. Given the name, I'm not surprised it's a more tank/armored car-sized explosion.

It is actually very small so Panzerfaust can be used indoors despite the arcing.

And if you're one of the spartans, any explosive can be used indoors, at point blank range, to destroy any hostages and loot around.
Yeah I had a humanist walk two steps away from my dog, turn, and blow them all to hell.  Silly enemies!  At least loot and sleepers have some toughness now instead of being instantly destroyed like in the original.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 28, 2019, 02:43:13 pm »

Has anybody done the Siberia base? I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with; it looks like it's the humanist version of a base assault, which is pretty much one of the weakest factions out there... if not for those tanks. THOSE TANKS. I walk out of my ship and there's three of them fanned out in front of me. Nope'd my way right out of there, since my initial loadout was designed for anti-personnel, not that mess.

Siberia base, attempt 2: My ship, laden with 10 in Guardian, 2 in Juggernaut, and 1 in Dragonfly, decides to land in a corner of the map, with two sides being map edge and two other sides being cliffs. Oh, and a tank (though I'm packed with 15 EMP minibombs, spread out amongst three launchers this time). Guess I'll need to outfit my squad in Storm Marine next time too?  >:(
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 28, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »

You can get lucky and be able to walk across the icy creek into the base proper.
But you should clean up topside first for a while, few things are worse that a super soldier in your back.

Which ship are you using?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 28, 2019, 04:13:23 pm »

Upon closer observation, there was actually a stairway down to, uh, ground level, but there was still nothing I could use to cross the creek, so I took a few shots, grabbed what I thought I could get away with and ran.

I'm still using Fortuna, though I should probably swap to something else.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:22:13 pm by Aoi »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 28, 2019, 04:27:11 pm »

I ran with the deliverator for quite a while. I wouldn't want to take a menace craft to the siberian base, I'd even prefer the airbus. (though with most craft having windows now that might actually change)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 28, 2019, 04:43:41 pm »

I don't find its layout too bad as an all-purpose ship, especially now: it doesn't have windows (for better or for worse), it's two-floor layout allows a few units to duck up there for cover, the roof exit point is handy for aerial units/mortars/snipers, the ground hatch allows a second way out so there won't be any traffic jams or for quicker fanning out. The permanently wide-open rear hatch kind of sucks, but I haven't eaten any missiles/grenades there yet and late game armor makes the incoming fire a lot less threatening than when I was packing tac vests.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 28, 2019, 07:01:10 pm »

Yeah, the "mission" as a prize for that is weird and great.  I guess I could follow the advice in the newbie faq on the wiki, and buy the airspeeder when it shows up for that purpose, but the missions aren't common enough to be worth planning for specifically.

I've won it fairly reliably with Shadowbats, which if you're going Grey or Gold you're probably going to be using anyway. I get the idea that having multiple bases with craft may help with it in terms of where it spawns, as I've had it pop so close to my base I probably could have won it with an Airbus.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 29, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »

Had my first Devil's Reef.
That turn under water was the longest I had since upgrading my old 386.

Luckily it was the only turn, as 3 hellerium grenades had destroyed a beacon each.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 29, 2019, 06:36:36 pm »

Hmm. Sunday Town.

I need Wiz Biz Tokens, but there are apparently zombies and civilians. It's a tough choice.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 29, 2019, 08:26:05 pm »

Hmm. Sunday Town.

I need Wiz Biz Tokens, but there are apparently zombies and civilians. It's a tough choice.

If you have high mobility, a decently sized squad, and luck that isn't totally abysmal, it's pretty much a milk run.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 30, 2019, 02:56:33 am »

I had 2 of those.

The mission is a pushover if you can fly.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 31, 2019, 05:58:52 am »

hmm, would you guys recommend OpenX-Com to someone who likes and spent 200h in X-Com 2?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 31, 2019, 06:03:37 am »

The old games (that you need to play) cost next to nothing, so yes.

It is different. A lot more micromanagement, no special abilities, a soldiers life is cheap. And more stuff, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 153