Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241858 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1005 on: September 01, 2019, 07:31:13 am »

Bases generate negative score every month, lowering your score, which in turn lowers your income from the nations/sectors/governments.  You can afford to ignore it for maybe a month, but you do need to deal with it long before you think your cannon-fodder is ready for it.

Nah, the penalty isn't that bad, I have 3 bases that have been around for about  years now. Couldn't really be bothered to attack them. But one is now in a region I fly over pretty often apparently (Madagascar), so I might take it out to stop the hunter killers from there.
I can also use the Guildmaster that is there (hopefully, might be academy).

I usually just raid them for bits and pieces whenever I need ammo anyway, they can be managed, but you also cannot let them get too numerous..

In other news; I have failed to be grim and dark enough for the Emperor and chaos has consumed all...……...
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 01, 2019, 07:26:57 pm »

Nah, the penalty isn't that bad, I have 3 bases that have been around for about  years now. Couldn't really be bothered to attack them. But one is now in a region I fly over pretty often apparently (Madagascar), so I might take it out to stop the hunter killers from there.
I can also use the Guildmaster that is there (hopefully, might be academy).

I wish the hunter-killers they sent out crashed instead of just exploding. It would be a decent way to find out whose base it is before you attack.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 01, 2019, 10:14:37 pm »

How badly the bases penalize you really depends on how much other stuff you're doing-- I'm at about 75% of the tech tree, swimming in resources, squads almost fully trained, with endgame tech stuck behind a firebat raider, or whatever it's called (away from my main system right now), so I'm not doing anything other than milk runs and the occasional mission that may allow progress... I've had a few months end with like 40 infamy, so a base left alive would push me negative and probably have factions decrease funding.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 02, 2019, 03:04:57 am »

I just finished higher studies, so endgame as well. In a month where I don't do much I have about 10k score. But I still do easy missions to train the b-squad, because once they are pretty good they go to another hideout to bolster the defence.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 02, 2019, 12:03:14 pm »

While I don't usually leave the ship on the first turn, I am using the wings of the Shadowbat to peek at where enemies are.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I found out which part of the map I need to defend. Also, they're spawned in a really regular pattern, which I guess isn't a surprise.

Also, it looks like my first required Pogrom is Star Gods, so this will go well. I can (theoretically) collect more plasma weapons for when I finally get them unlocked.

Edit: image tags help.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:37:46 pm by Iduno »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 02, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »

Made one Zombie Panic so far, it was really tedious. My Lokks and bugeyes hardly ever use their laspistols (OK the bugeyes, the Lokks sometimes use them, but they mostly scream), but I ran out of ammo for them (I carry 8 mags on the ship, and had less than 2 full clips left). My sniper had to reload and even some Deathblossoms almost ran out (I carry 2 clips on a person usually, some have 3).
I guess I could have prevented quite a few zombies of I hadn't misinterpreted something about the totally not Necton things.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 02, 2019, 02:18:22 pm »

So when are you supposed to be doing space missions?

Because I've done a few and I'm pretty sure I'm underpowered in addition to just hating the entire execution of this kind of map within the engine. I did two missions in space:
1.) abandoned craft and zombie -- this one I just kinda messed up in since I only had one peasant space suit so the rest of my gals got coffins, but it was still weird as I was unsure how to deal with it (and finding + getting to the ship was heeelll)
2.) terminator satellites -- yeah I have no idea when I'm expected to be able to fight terminators
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 02, 2019, 02:49:43 pm »

When you have some space suits and some (looted) lasers. The terminators usually die to a few hits from a lasgun.

The satellite mission can be done by just showing up, if you can't/don't want to fight the robots.

If you can kill those in the satellite itself from your ship you can then go down to I think level 5 to be save from the others. Then just pop up and shoot them once, go back down.

I am not even sure if there is better armor than the space suit, because "is exosuit" is not enough I think.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 02, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »

I haven't tried in a while (since I reset again) but... checking the 'pedia... Yeah Terminators have low health compared to their armor.  I think I had decent luck with laser rifles.  They only take 80% damage but the innate armor-piercing of lasers helps get to those vulnerable circuits.

They also supposedly lack accuracy at long range.  I sorta remember otherwise, but sniping them with lasers seemed to work.  Keep in mind that it's worth showing up to Disruptive Transmissions even if you retreat, as you just shoot the satellite down and end the score penalty.

I did some Guild satellite missions in "coffins" heh, including zombies, but it's definitely a whole lot easier with space suits for mobility and weapons.  I feel like gambling used to give a lot of gal-sized space suits but mostly human ones now.  Not sure.

Also there was a bug in J16 where space did a bunch of environmental damage through suits, that's patched in J17.
(ninja'd)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 03, 2019, 08:35:17 am »

I feel like gambling used to give a lot of gal-sized space suits but mostly human ones now.  Not sure.

I'll have to check the HTML bootypedia, but I don't remember seeing any non-human armor from gambling recently. Maybe a Lokk'Naar suit, but they don't fight, so...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 03, 2019, 09:58:36 am »

Lokk'Naars are pretty decent sniper-types - I have no problem taking them into space. I'm pretty sure I've gotten bugeye suits, too. I wanna say higher-tier gambling tokens can generate Uber suits even if Copper and Iron don't.

[Possible coupon suit outcomes per the HTML xpedia:
 Copper/Neutronium/Zortium: no suits
 Iron: human suit
 Titanium: human suit, Lokk'Narr suit
 Tritanium: human suit, Lokk'Narr suit, Uber suit

...however, looking at the outcomes listed for e.g. Spin The Wheel, many outcomes I've seen aren't listed, so I don't actually trust those lists...]

[Looking at the HTML xpedia, beside space suits and pods, there's 2 suits of power armor that work in 0-G for Ubers, 2 magic outfits for Ubers, 1 magic outfit for humans, 1 power armor for Lokk'Narr, pretty much whatever for Synths, and also hovertanks]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:26:45 am by E. Albright »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 03, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »

So I booted up a more or less vanilla game of the original XCom since my X-P file is on another system and... My first mission three guys taking potshots at me one step outside of the ship. About three days later I get a base attack. Which would have gone great, if I didn't give everybody prearmed grenades like I do in XP. There goes 5 of my rookies to one shot. Then, about six hours later, I get whatever pogroms/terror sites are called, with one standing soldier.

This is going swimmingly!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 04, 2019, 08:30:07 am »

Has anyone built a Large Prison?
      Is it worth $2M?
      Does it work best in a base focussed on prisoners?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 04, 2019, 09:00:45 am »

Has anyone built a Large Prison?
      Is it worth $2M?
      Does it work best in a base focussed on prisoners?

I haven't, because 2x2 buildings require too much pre-planning. Although 100 prisoners is slightly more than 4x15 that you would get with 4 normal prisons.

If you're making enough courtesans, it sounds like a good way to go for a central repository. Way better than investing that 2x2 space on a farm. If the wiki is correct, I think it only takes 3 courtesans to make a profit after the building maintenance. 1 with a normal prison. Actually, I may need to do some construction when I get home.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 04, 2019, 09:10:41 am »

Hmmm.  Maybe, when I get $2M, I might see about installing it in my second base, I have three prisons there, but also a 2x2 space to put a big-arse prison.

Well, next question, how the hell do plantations work?

Edit: What are the odds??!  I had a Shipwrecked Gal mission pop so I sent my A-team, then a Ratman Rodeo popped a few hours later, before my blowfish even got close to the Shipwrecked Gal, but both missions are on the same spot in South America … er … Red Revolution.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:19:50 am by Darkening Kaos »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 153