Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109012 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2014, 01:25:24 pm »

... you've got my condolences, then. Well done tone shifts tend to be some of the more amazing things fanfics pull off. My life would be a darker one if I weren't able to enjoy those.

Also, FD, you've been following me around =_=

well

More likely just checking SB/SV also, but still. And yeah, several of those FD mentioned are on SV (notably cloudy path) as well if you don't want to bother with the multi-thread annoyance. Also an arguably better color scheme :P

E: To actually recommend something, I've just started reading this and it's fairly decent so far. Persona/DxD crossover. Should probably get around to recommending the other decent DxD Xovers I've ran into, if they haven't been suggested already. S'at least two Dresden ones that are quite solid.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:29:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »

Tone shifts tend to be done... just because the fan fic writer doesn't like the tone.

"What if Winnie the Pooh was darker and about how Winnie the Pooh deals with the death of Christopher Robin because he grew old and died?" is an example of a Fanfiction like this.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »

Ooh, Weaver Nine sounds like a Worm fanfic I can actually stand without ripping my face off. Let's see how it goes.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2014, 06:56:02 pm »

My favorite part is how the author manages to simultaneously frustrate both the people who want to see nothing but young!hero!Jack Slash and the people who want the same for old!anti-villain!mastermind!Taylor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2014, 07:46:02 pm »

Cenotaph. If you're a Worm fan and don't know about the best fic ever written for it, for shame.
Less shame, however, if you don't know about the direct continuation, Working Title (and yes, we're into 8.x and that has functionally become the suitably-symbolic actual title). Notes continues to be a god-tier writer.
Mentioned already, and in non-Space Battles format:
For anyone that has read the webseries Worm, there is a fanfiction over at Archive of Our Own called Cenotaph by the author notes. It's really well-done, IMO, and it follows Taylor as if she had taken a slightly different path. Doesn't go through the whole series, but it sounds like there might be more books afterwards (or not, but even if so, that's okay).

Although, you just made my fucking day about the continuation. I wasn't aware, and I absolutely must read it right away.

And for the rest of your Worm fic posts?
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE

Fate: Zero Eos has been updating, as well as Fate: Nightmare Apatheia. Those are Fate/Zero x Code Geass and Fate/stay Night x Code Geass, respectively, one written as the prequel to the other, by two different authors (though they work very close together on it). I'm pretty excited about this.

Also? ALSO ALSO?

Dauntless updated.
Allora Gale is back from hiatus.
everything is beautiful

Read through In Fire Forged, a Naruto fic told from Sakura's perspective. AU, in that Chakra is closer to Functional Magic than flat out magic, and there's a lot of science and theory involved in the world-building. Sasuke also gets a genderbender, BUT, I was surprised at just how well-executed it is. It seems deliberate in order to change the social dynamics of their class and of Team 7, rather than whatever sort of fantasy author!wank genderbenders tend to be. It's quite well-written, IMO, and I'm eager to see where it goes.

Finished The Sun Soul, previously recc'd here. I really like stories like this. My only issue with it is that some things the author does are... transparent. "I'm writing it like this for shock factor and to get a specific reaction out of you", or "Look, if it could go wrong, it totally is! Look at how wrong it just got!" As opposed to Wildbow's (author of Worm) tendency for everything to get worse all the time, that at least leaves you wondering how it could get worse, while this is more obvious. It doesn't make it a bad fic, IMO, I'm just saying that there's a pretty obvious flaw so YYMV.
There are continuations, too, but I have yet to dive into them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:47:41 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2014, 08:22:42 pm »

Cenotaph. If you're a Worm fan and don't know about the best fic ever written for it, for shame.
Less shame, however, if you don't know about the direct continuation, Working Title (and yes, we're into 8.x and that has functionally become the suitably-symbolic actual title). Notes continues to be a god-tier writer.
Mentioned already, and in non-Space Battles format:
For anyone that has read the webseries Worm, there is a fanfiction over at Archive of Our Own called Cenotaph by the author notes. It's really well-done, IMO, and it follows Taylor as if she had taken a slightly different path. Doesn't go through the whole series, but it sounds like there might be more books afterwards (or not, but even if so, that's okay).

Although, you just made my fucking day about the continuation. I wasn't aware, and I absolutely must read it right away.
Doesn't surprise me, I probably just forgot since it's been a while since I read through this thread. But yes, the escalation is blindingly fast in Working Title.

And whenever you catch up to it, you're going to remember what I said here and want to strangle me for the worst of crimes.

Also? ALSO ALSO?

Dauntless updated.
Allora Gale is back from hiatus.
everything is beautiful
OH MY GOD I KNOW RIGHT

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2014, 08:39:23 pm »

And whenever you catch up to it, you're going to remember what I said here and want to strangle me for the worst of crimes.
... it took me a minute to get that. That is, indeed, an absolutely terrible pun. *gives FD some scoops of ice cream as a reward* because frumple can play that game, too :3
E: Ah, right. And to keep the recs coming: This thing! Fairly nicely done DC comics SI. E2: Ah, though the presumably requisite warning that there's some (non-explicit -- it is on SB -- non... anything, really. It's kinda' weird.) bisexuality involved.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:53:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »

My favorite part is how the author manages to simultaneously frustrate both the people who want to see nothing but young!hero!Jack Slash and the people who want the same for old!anti-villain!mastermind!Taylor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh thank god.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2014, 06:06:39 pm »

I think the weirdest thing about mlp fanfiction is that its the only situation where I've been totally turned off from the show and still adored the fanfiction, and holy shit does the mlp community deliver

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2014, 06:55:19 pm »

I think the weirdest thing about mlp fanfiction is that its the only situation where I've been totally turned off from the show and still adored the fanfiction, and holy shit does the mlp community deliver
I agree.  I try to like the show, but can't.  The main reason I can't read MLP fanfics anymore is because I've just read so many of them.
I'm pretty sure if I try to watch the show again I will be wondering why everyone is so sane.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »

... just want to say, The Games We Play is escalating like goddamn. Poor J-dude.

E: Ooh, ACP also got a word count breakdown in the SV thread. Total of 347329 words, so far. Which is kinda' impressive.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:41:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2014, 03:12:04 am »

Actually, that's how I feel about Naruto and (kinda) Harrry Potter. I just can't watch/read the show/book without thinking "Fanfic author ________ did so much better." And that kinda makes me sad.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:55 am »

Actually, that's how I feel about Naruto and (kinda) Harrry Potter. I just can't watch/read the show/book without thinking "Fanfic author ________ did so much better." And that kinda makes me sad.
You forgot about Zero no Tsukaima.

... just want to say, The Games We Play is escalating like goddamn. Poor J-dude.
Gotta say, the best part about Ryuugi choosing to name his Legendary Grimm after that trio of biblical figures was the immediate jump certain people made to Worm-related jokes.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:42 am »

You forgot about Zero no Tsukaima.
Zero no Tsukaima is like, the best possible universe for crossover fics. Never actually watched the show, but I've read a few fanfics. Just wish The Tale Of The Gallant Familiar would update. :'( That fic is fucking GOLD.

EDIT: DAMNIT. Just reread the ending of the first year of DUEL and now I want to read a Zero No Tsukaima/Harry Potter crossover fic where whats-her-name summons Peeves.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:43:21 am by Gamerlord »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »

PTW
I like fanfics, so a thread for good ones must have a PTW.
Is there any good crossover fics between FoZ and FSN? Or, for that matter:
Naruto
Bleach
Or any really good crossover, really, since the TV Tropes page has so far failed to deliver.

Also, a decent Naruto/FSN fic would be nice.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21