Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109004 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »

Supcom and TA just kinda' blend together to me, really. Hence it's a Supcom/TA xover (with worm) -- I consider them largely the same thing. Maybe better written as (Supcom/TA) or somethin', I'unno. They're both largely defined by bullshit space magic of the most wonderfully snowbally kind, and I love them for it.
Eh, TA is mostly the same principle as Supcom, but on a vastly larger scale, which is very likely to make an impact in writing more than gameplay.
Also I can't stand Worm for some ineffable reason.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »

I'll throw out a Jojo/Persona crossover. I can't call it special or amazing at this point yet, but it's making for a nice read.

Also a Jojo/Code Geass crossover which is freaking amazing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:12:27 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2014, 04:13:16 pm »

The 'Iron Hearts' trilogy focuses around the Iron Warriors chapter of the Chaos Space Marines, namely the 38th Company (a fictional branch made up of the 'losers' of the chapter; they've only got a few Terminators), and the Lamman Sept of the Tau Empire (probably another fictional faction). They both wind up in orbit over Equestria, which is called 'Centaur III' by the Iron Warriors. Both the Tau and Iron Warriors engage in glorious battle both on and off world, with the humans coming to have a tentative alliance of sorts with the ponies. It starts with the 38th Company's flagship, the Harvest of Steel, getting ready to build a manufactorum facility on-planet. Several tens of thousands of words later, it is currently at the point where the Tau capture and fortify Canterlot as a staging ground for their operations -- which doesn't really go so well.

I was BLOWN AWAY by how good this series was, honestly. The dark and gritty feel of WH40k has been masterfully spliced with the lighthearted atmosphere and comedy of MLP, and even though there's plenty of violence and gore where it counts, it never stays in the 'Dark' area for more than flickers at a time. The characterization and flow are incredible; I'm planning on using this as an example for anything I write and helping others figure out how things should be written, in fact. The series is regularly updated on FiMFiction and generally consists of chapters 15,000-25,000 words long. It doesn't get nearly enough views as it should for some reason, though, so I thought I'd make a post here to advertise it. If you guys like MLP and WH40k, then you will love this. Check out the links below the notes (start with Book 1, of course)!

(Note: though there's plenty of bullets flying, no pony characters or even any human or Tau major characters have died yet; I think this fic is staying firmly away from Grimdark like that. At least for now.)

(Note: also, if the Tau are your favorite faction and you don't like seeing them get curb-stomped (like Applejack beating a Shas'vre in hoof-to-hoof combat), this might slightly annoy you.)

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/147183/iron-hearts-book-1-planetfall
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/150384/iron-hearts-book-2-ferrous-dominus
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/176991/iron-hearts-book-3-the-sept-lamman

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2014, 10:34:49 pm »

This.

Short form: Taylor is the Railgun, then holy shit everything explodes. Long form: Worm/Certain Scientific Railgun xover. I, right now, massively recommend it to anyone and everyone. Rapid, brutal, well written and just damn. Damn. I started reading, got hooked, and burned through the entire thing in right at three hours. Because holy hell, this thing grabbed me by the brain pan and dragged me through awesome.

Also I have a slight headache now.

E: Oh, uh, right. People die! Just... guess that should be warned about, somewhere in there. I mean, you probably should be expecting it given it's wormverse, but, well. Things stop moving. Several things. If that's an issue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:58:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:14 am »

Haha, I've been going on a Worm xover binge myself.

If you enjoyed the themes of Acceleration, you'll probably dig Hope Through Overwhelming Firepower. All you need to know is that it's the usual 'Taylor gets a different power', except that it's a crossover with Diebuster. Singularitiiieeessss~. Worth the read for the S9 'arc' alone, ohoho.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2014, 01:00:35 am »

Yes, yes. Did read that one. It was pleasing, albeit it felt short. At this point, I've read (or at least started to read, and then discarded) almost all the ones on FF.N over about 40k words... and more (like Earthscorpion's >_>). Also good chunk of the non-Xover worm ones. People are doing neat stuff with that setting, and Frumple is much digging.

E: Though I will say it felt considerably different, between the two of them. Hope is, well... there's hope and stuff. Less overt brutal, especially to taylor (from what I can recall, anyway). Acceleration was more things going fast and then going faster, and damn does T and several other people get tied to the back of the vehicle and dragged across the pavement during the process, even if Taylor is a magnificent wrecking ball in both of them.

E3: Though, to be fair, that difference in feeling may be because I read through the entirety of acceleration in three freaking hours. HTOF took longer. Despite being about 15k words shorter.

E2: But yes, I do enjoy pieces which have characters that can be acceptably described as "magnificent wrecking balls", at least when it's done well -- it takes some skill to not fumble that premise (The difficult part is magnificence. Wrecking balls are easy.), and it often makes things just... interesting. And I like interesting.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:21:55 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2014, 01:31:21 am »

Apparently My Immortal the Web Series has two seasons now.

It is good on its own even if it is better if you read the TERRIBLE original... You can check it out on Youtube even if you can't stand the original to stomach it for its 41 chapters.

I do warn you that none of the actors look like their counter parts.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2014, 10:16:27 pm »

Beyond the Outer Gate Lies by Gabriel Blessing, author of damned good fanfiction. DxD X Dresden Files. I'm told it contains massive spoilers for Dresden Files, so take that into consideration.

Devil You Know by Surarrin, also DxD X Dresden Files, recommended by Gabriel Blessing in the above fic. Where Beyond the Outer Gate Lies focuses on Old!Dresden, Devil You Know focuses on Young!Dresden.

Rosario Chains by Brone Greyclaw, Rosario+Vampire. This has probably become my favorite R+V fic that stays as close as possible to canon (He Who Fights Monsters is a bit of a For Want of a Nail that diverges violently, and Get What You Want is mostly a journey into emotional masochism more than a R+V fic). It does diverge since I believe it was started before a bunch of S2 elaborated the deeper plots going on, and it's still being updated. The relationship antics also feel pretty well-done, and even though it takes its time to develop properly, that just makes it feel more satisfying.

Chaos Theory by Moczo, which is basically Illya!Route of Fate/stay night.

Morality Chain by Pureauthor. Avatar: TLA. What if Azula was still good ol' Azula, but the most important thing in her life was Zuko, no matter if he's too soft for the Fire Nation?

Oh yeah, I don't think I ever linked this.
Evangelion: Genocide Extended (as in Extended Edition) by Rommel, author of some of the best Evangelion fanfiction out there (mostly due to the great characterizations), even if most of it is pretty naughty. Genocide is far more tame.
Here is the basic plot, spoiler'd for those who don't want to be spoiled on canon Evangelion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orchestrating the Silence by SerialRavist, NGE fandom, set after the End of Evangelion movie. This is how I'd figure things would end up after EoE. Love me some Orchestrating the Silence. Pity that SerialRavist hasn't done much else and hasn't been active for years. =(

Also, I really hope EarthScorpion isn't dead or something. I mean, last update was in April, so it's not that bad, but he usually spits out tons of fic.

No Gods, Only Guns continues to update, and it continues to be pretty damn entertaining.

No good Pact (the next story by Wildbowpig, author of Worm) fanfic yet. I have high hopes for the future, though.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2014, 10:22:06 pm »

Weird that I would notice this thread now.

Just the other day I was writing a fanfic in my head called "The The Empire" wherein a fictional Empire is formed, and gets pissed at all the other fictional empires that like to refer to themselves simply as The Empire. (Such as the one from Star Wars, the one from The Elder Scrolls, etc.) They then go on a fan-fictional rampage across the continuities to become known as THE The Empire.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »

Also, I really hope EarthScorpion isn't dead or something. I mean, last update was in April, so it's not that bad, but he usually spits out tons of fic.
No worries: ES's last activity over on Sufficient Velocity was... today, with the last update to Imago being in May. Seems to be distracted (?) by forum game stuff, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »

No worries: ES's last activity over on Sufficient Velocity was... today, with the last update to Imago being in May. Seems to be distracted (?) by forum game stuff, heh.

Awesome. I'm seriously relieved, but that's probably because I was mostly remembering Durandall, the author of Kyon: Big Damn Hero, who did in fact pass away, and that made me sad and really worried about it happening to other authors who make awesome fic.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2014, 02:53:59 am »

Naruko Uzumaki To The Victor goes the Spoils: Pretty damn good.
Leaf's New Tree: Naruto is awesome, Minato is a dick and the Seedlings are funny.
Beating The Odds: LuckyNaruto is pretty cool, but it reaches GodModeNaruto pretty fast and since I'm only part of the way through I don't know if they fix that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:56 am »

Awesome. I'm seriously relieved, but that's probably because I was mostly remembering Durandall, the author of Kyon: Big Damn Hero, who did in fact pass away, and that made me sad and really worried about it happening to other authors who make awesome fic.
Well, to further relieve you Helminths just got updated like 40 minutes ago or something. So... enjoy, et al.

E:
Naruko Uzumaki To The Victor goes the Spoils: Pretty damn good.
This... probably shouldn't be linked to, on this forum. It involves lemons with 12 year olds within the first 10 chapters :-\
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:03:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:50 am »

Time for a ficdump, Spacebattles style. Basically everything I've been following/reading in the past few weeks that's worth mentioning.

A Cloudy Path. Worm/Supreme Commander. Taylor triggers as a tinker with the Aeon tech tree. Remarkably, has finished up through 9.x without going Von Neumann, and not just because of resource limitations.

Cenotaph. If you're a Worm fan and don't know about the best fic ever written for it, for shame.
Less shame, however, if you don't know about the direct continuation, Working Title (and yes, we're into 8.x and that has functionally become the suitably-symbolic actual title). Notes continues to be a god-tier writer.

The Games We Play. RWBY/The Gamer. Yet another fic in which Ryuugi ends every gorram chapter on a cliffhanger without feeling stale. The quality is, as usual for him, excellent. What isn't usual is that he's defying his traditional MO and has thus far updated on a daily basis for 42 chapters. And thankfully, because there's a competent author at the helm, it isn't falling into the Nu-Xander territory that a lot of fics involving Jaune do.

Zenith. Yet another Worm/Exalted cross. The differences: This is one of Ryuugi's, it's a post-canon continuation, and for once Taylor exalts as a Solar who plays the social combat game instead of kicking things in the face. Lots of political drama and happy-fun-times subverting the Yangban from the inside.

What Rains You Bring. The Worm/Diebuster crossover that isn't a mindless self-indulgence in which every threat is facerolled. That's not to say that the Endbringers don't get their respective asses handed to them and forced into retreat in the span of about ten minutes, because it's fucking Diebuster power levels, but for the most part it's actually remarkably subtle. Though I imagine that in another two-four chapters there's going to be a big fucking surprise coming for Cauldron.

Weaver Nine. One of the strangest-on-paper yet best executed Worm AUs. The only starting change is that Taylor and Jacob (that is, Jack Slash) had their births/starting points in canon reversed. Taylor is the one who was an early SH9 member and ganked King with Harbinger, Jacob is the one who had a sort of shitty childhood in BB. And holy fuck that Levi fight was probably the best and most brutal I've ever read. Jack Slash is a hardcore motherfucker when he's a hero with his brand of self-motivation.

Carnage. An en medias res Worm AU in which under currently unclear circumstances Tattletale convinced new-cape Taylor to kill Butcher, who was in BB (presumably during the bank robbery, given the timeline) because butterflies. Hasn't updated for a while, though.

A Fate Woven in Steel. Worm/Megaman cross. Taylor triggers with an amalgam of Wily and Light and their respective robotic genius. Her first notable creation? Protoman. And he's excellent. Other things of note include the Undersiders trying to break into her lab, which bears a startling resemblance to the evils of a certain series of platformers, because of spoilers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »

I keep thinking of stuff but I keep forgetting that I like fanfiction mostly ironically since even good fanfiction tends to suffer from what I call "transporting the characters into a position for the sake of the fanfiction" or "breaking the tone". I am such a "Fanfiction needs to be flawless or I don't like it remotely" that I never could get into it.

I am clearly not someone who should be suggesting anything.

Since I actually was about to suggest reading haunted videogame fanfictions... because they are not only universally terrible, but a unique type of terrible that is even worse when you use your brain.

Yet then I was like "wait, why would people want to read terrible things unless they were also good? Those things are flat out bad, YOU have to provide the entertainment value"...

DANG IT ME!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21