Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109002 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »

Is there any good crossover fics between FoZ and FSN?
Hill of Swords There have Hill of Swords been a few Hill of Swords suggested, yes Hill of Swords Hill of Swords Hill of SwordsHill of SwordsHill of Swords

Search the thread for fate, FS/N, FSN, etc. There's a couple other ones that cross with FoZ that are decent, and at least one one other that's already been recommended here. As for Naruto/FSN fics, there are some, but from what I remember most of them are mediocre at best. The lengthier ones, anyway. Same with bleach, though I want to say there's a couple better ones, there.

As for the problem with FoZ in its natural form, it's a harem anime that... well, Louise is a malicious tsundere -- like, holy fuck what the hell are you doing abusive, in a number of cases -- and Saito is kind of a serious, grade-A letch, among a number of other things. From what I understand, the light novels aren't quite as bad, but the manga/anime, well. A number of the characters are either middling at best or outright unlikeable. For all the setting has provided a lot of fiction juice, and people have done some pretty amazing things with it, it is, in itself, not that impressive. Gets a lot better with only minor tweaks, yeah.

E: For the other ZnT/FSN ones I've read I would call "decent enough", check out The Third Magic, Void Bladeworks, The Prince of Swords, Miracle of Zero: Kingdom of the Forsaken, and Why Me? Fair warning, Why Me? is the only one that's been updated in a while, and isn't strictly speaking a FSN xover (just a heavily influenced multicross), and other than The Hill of Swords (which is awesome and you should read) none of them are finished, but... there you go.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:03:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2014, 09:27:08 pm »

Can anyone (I'm looking at you, Flying Dice) hook me up with some Wormverse fic, featuring that good ol' S-Class threat of an Egyptian mythological reference? The one that I have to convolutedly reference because if someone googled it they'd be turbo-spoiled?

I'm seeing a distinct lack of it, and I really need to get me some of that.

Also wouldn't mind another fic dump if someone had one, I devour fics faster than they update, and my thirst can not be quenched.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »

There's... a couple of those on SB/SV. As in, one or two. Problem with K is that you can't really do much with it from a narrative standpoint -- once T's hit that point, it's basically game over for everything. So there hasn't really been much written with K still in action -- after, sure (Tales of Transmigration and Copacetic both come to mind right off the bat, and yes, spoilers like goddamn for both of those), but not with miss mindhack still running around.

There is one I'm forgetting the name of (again, on SB or SV, I forget which at the moment and it was fairly short so I didn't bookmark it on completion) where T basically dies but K lives, which was kinda' interesting. Incarnation, it's called. Want to say there's another one out there, but I've forgotten exactly where it was. Also yes, spoiler warning! Haha!

E: Woah, To My Death I Fight (Bleach/Kill La Kill, fairly decent what I had read) gained 25 chapters and a couple hundred thousand words since the last time I read some of it. Hrm.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:56:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2014, 10:24:27 pm »

Honestly, I haven't really found any that are good. At the very least they're variations on Khepri's power, usually to make it less broken. Every fic I've seen that just gives it straight-up to Taylor is pretty badly written, for obvious reasons. You don't write a story where a character starts with an automatic "I win" button with the intent of making it interesting to read, especially one like that where there's almost no countering it unless she fucks up and gets caught before getting her hands on a good mix of... tools.

I can, however, do more fics:

Faith: Worm/40K. Starts off a bit shaky, but pick up by the second chapter. When Taylor triggers in that locker, she hears a bunch of voices. Four in particular stand out to her, offering different things. They're all attractive, but gosh darn if she can't help but accept papa Nurgle's offer of love and friendship.

Trial by Ninja: Naruto. It's one of those rare beasts, a Sakura-POV fic in which everybody remains in character, there aren't any absurd power-spiral races (and the author has WoG'd that not only are those undesirable, but that everything post-timeskip will be included only where it's good and works with the plot). It's a For Want of a Nail fic where Sakura barely manages to scrape out a win against Ino in the Exam prelim fights.

Better yet, it's complete and has a sequel in progress. It's really remarkable how well the author has kept everyone in character, and how the butterflies have been handled in a way which is simultaneously believable and which doesn't result in a near-copy of the canon timeline.

Manager: Worm. One of the best of what I mentioned above (the Khepri-lites); Taylor triggers the QA in such a way as to manifest a quite different Striker/Trump/Bullshit power which allows her to permanently steal powers (as well as, as later revealed, giving them to other capes in certain circumstances).

Link to Reality: One of the more interesting SAO AU fics out there. It's a FWoaN in which the nail is the moment where SAO ends; both Asuna and Kirito are trapped as normal players in ALO, as opposed to the way they were split up in canon. Note that this one is somewhat unusual in that none of the other players are trapped.

Memories of Iron: Worm/Ironman. Taylor triggers as a tinker; her shard is quite literally the memories and personality of a Tony Stark who, IIRC, died at the climax of the Avengers film. It's got a lot of interesting stuff going on with the personality bleed-over (it pokes fun at certain fanon tendencies, too, by way of Taylor's semi-squick when she realizes that Stark's memories are messing with her unconscious sexual preference filter), with the recreation of JARVIS (and his interactions with a certain native cyberlady), &c.

Drunken Space-Time Ninjutsu: Naruto. Alarmingly well done, and exactly what it says on the tin. Starts with a set of post-canon new-bloods, including the Sand siblings and most of the Leaf next generation of greats, getting absolutely smashed while celebrating their victory. Naruto wanders up to the attic of the building they're in and accidentally with the seals and the blackout.

Cue the apartment building they're in being transposed to Konoha a few generations back, after the end of the last war but before the Kyuubi attack. Things do not end well, nor do they end in "everyone dies, Bad End". It's an amusingly violent in-between which lasts for much of what has been written. The quality is up in the top 5% or so, and the author appears to be doing something interesting in his execution of an otherwise stale premise.

Blot of Zero: ZnT/DnD. Louise summons an Umbral Blot. Ahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaaaaaaa

The Handbook of Elf Psychology: Harry Potter. Harry runs away/is left behind in his younger years by a Dursley family outing to a company picnic in a park. He goes feral, and becomes convinced by way of parseltongue and accidental magic that he is an elf. No, not a house-elf, a forest-elf. Highly amusing.

Harry Potter and the Endless Night/Or Spacebattles if you prefer: Harry Potter/Hellsing Abridged. It's The Ero-Sennin at his plausible-crack finest. Nothing more really needs to be said, but I'll add this: Their ages aligned by the powers of the plot, Harry is Sir Integra Hellsing's butler, in the finest tradition of Hellsing butlers. So there you have it.

THE TECHNO QUEEN: Worm. I'll honestly be surprised if anyone hasn't heard of this glorious ham, but if you haven't, go read. Now.

An Imago of Rust and Crimson: Worm/OWoD. It's an EarthScorpion fic, and another example of his ability to write damned near any mood. Very different; the quality is superb, of course, but it also moves very slowly.

Starry Eyes: Worm/Cthulhu Mythos. Taylor triggers with some very friendly friends occupying her body in a reality somewhat sideways from her own. They can come through when she pulls pieces of her skin off.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Up in the Air: Worm/Final Fantasy. Taylor triggers as a Dragoon, with all that that implies. (Yes, the Jump is real.)

Azure Sky, Cerulean Sea: F/SN / MtG. The Caster summoned is a New Planeswalker with an ingrained dislike of Blue and mind control.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Way of the Sword: Worm/TES. If you're looking for FUS ROHs to be DAH'd, this is not the fic you're looking for. Taylor's power, such that it is, is a divine connection to the Hoon Ding, the Make Way God. Hammerfell is up in this like Lung on the Stations of the Canon.

Morphosis: Worm/The Sandman. No trigger. Quite interesting premise, fun to read.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2014, 04:34:37 pm »

things

I'm going to start shipping Flying Dice x Great Fanfiction.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2014, 01:37:14 am »

Here's some more, then.

Ship's Administration: Worm/Star Trek/The Sea Queens. After the labeled spoilers which everyone who has read Worm through (or read enough fanfics) should be familiar with:

The first bullet hit me from behind and I slowly toppled.
The second hit me before I could fall, before there could be any pain.

Taylor wakes up in a very strange hospital room. Long and short of it, after Contessa does her thing with the double tap, Taylor, through the powers of the plot, ends up as the incarnation/personification of the Ticonderoga, an Akira-class Feddie heavy cruiser in a slightly different ST universe where ship-girls are apparently a thing. And she can feel these things, almost like rather strange bugs...

A Survivor is Born: Worm/Tomb Raider 2013. I have rarely been this happy about giving a fic a chance, because this didn't disappoint. Taylor goes through, more or less, the events of the game in the place of Lara Croft, triggering at the start with an interesting blend of combat-sense+weapon-understanding Thinker, mild Brute, and the usual-for-Taylor-except-even-more-so Hardcore 12. Except this is Worm, so when word gets out about what happened to all those cultists who got between her and "the hell off this island with the other survivors", she gets the highly unofficial cape name "Killdozer". But she doesn't want any of that cape nonsense, she just wants to be left the fuck alone. :V

Note that the events on the island occurred over the summer before the canon trigger. And when she gets back to BB, preceded by the vague news and much less vague PRT reports of what happened, Sophia... has found a new light. And is so incredibly bad at socializing. So bad. Incidentally, this fic has one of the most interesting Sophia portrayals I've yet to encounter, not least because most of what we see of her is her having things that make her happy and people not trying to stop her from doing what she wants (which in this case is snuggling up to the warm aura of SurvivorAlpha Predator!Taylor's 300-odd bodycount).

3. Run Resize Enable

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2014, 12:53:36 am »

Anyone know any good lego movie fanfics?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »

The Metropolitan Man
Best Superman fanfic I've ever read (also the only one I've ever read but it's just so coooooooooollllll). From the viewpoint of Lex Luthor as Superman arrives and he proceeds to go 'wtf alien godbeing must study' on it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »

Cenotaph and stuff
Doesn't surprise me, I probably just forgot since it's been a while since I read through this thread. But yes, the escalation is blindingly fast in Working Title.

And whenever you catch up to it, you're going to remember what I said here and want to strangle me for the worst of crimes.

Drawn and quarter'd, Flying Dice. Drawn. Quartered.

Finished Working Title. It wins. I want more. Notes owns my soul.

Got current on... a lot of things. Right now the three most enjoyable fics so far have been Cenotaph/Working Title, Copacetic (which was mentioned but never linked here), THE TECHNO QUEEN, and Alchemical Solutions.

Bit on Copacetic: Continues on from the end of Worm, so OH MY GOD THE SPOILERS. The voice and tone of the narrative are different from what we got used to in Worm, but it feels similar to the very beginning, right before everything got worse forever. Instead of going crack or anything like that, though, it seems to be playing the premise straight, despite those (supposed) changes in voice and tone. After that desperate acceleration straight into the maw of the abyss that Worm was, riding the rollercoaster as it starts gaining some elevation back feels... really damn good, and it's done in great ways.

Bit on Alchemical Solutions: Crossover with Exalted, written like a "Quest" (the active readers vote for how the story should go). Taylor's in the locker of filth. Autocthon reaches out to her and empathizes with her unwarranted suffering at the hands of her peers. He gives her a new body and an Exaltation, and he gives her a purpose. Shit, let's all be Communist Bullshit Magical Robot Girls. You might get the impression that it might be crack, but really, it surprisingly isn't. Very good.

THE TECHNO QUEEN is up there because it isn't just Honey-baked Ham, it's Diabetes-baked Ham, and it's fucking delicious. It does everything I want it to.

I'm still waiting for An Imago of Rust and Crimson to catch my interest as a premise. Anything EarthScorpion demands my attention, but the story itself hasn't hooked me.

Memories of Iron is really good. Manager is neat, Faith is... not up my alley, A Cloudy Path has been really enjoyable and making me wish I had my SupCom discs so I could play again, shame Zenith isn't really continuing, What Rains You Bring has been fun, Carnage and Fate Woven In Steel are both alright.
Weaver Nine, though. Weaver Nine would be waaaaaay up there if I could just get me some more of that.

Outside of Worm, Trial By Ninja was enjoyable and made Sakura out to be a powerful character in her own right in a way that wasn't OOC and could be explained by the setting. I'm just really disappointed by the ending, because Orochimaru and Kabuto were so pitiful they were pretty much OOC. Well, maybe not Orochimaru, I'll have to see if the author uses the same tricks that were in canon, but Kabuto was a massive disappointment. It was going so well, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2014, 08:09:03 am »

So, this. Postnuptial Disagreements (and, despite the name, it's been pretty clean so far). I'm not quite done reading it (on chapter 20 of 28, of this writing), but. Damn. It's another of one of those "hit the ground running and start slamming into walls and random pedestrians" kind of things. Complete, a little shorter than I normally read (only ~88k words), but... so far freaking excellent.

Basic premise is a fate/stay night/sekirei crossover -- set before the fifth grail war. So far, Shirou is completely uninvolved. The only servants are ones mentioned in passing from the last war. The main character is the child of the 4th War's Kayneth El-Melloi, who fairly promptly starts acting (almost) exactly like a magus and someone familiar with the fourth grail war would, when shanghai'd into the sekirei plan. It's... it's just pretty great. Sekirei canon gets straight fucked. It's just. Quite wonderful, so far. Got a few more chapters to go, but just on the strength of the first 19, I would heartily recommend this fic to basically anyone.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2014, 08:48:18 am »

So, this. Postnuptial Disagreements (and, despite the name, it's been pretty clean so far). I'm not quite done reading it (on chapter 20 of 28, of this writing), but. Damn. It's another of one of those "hit the ground running and start slamming into walls and random pedestrians" kind of things. Complete, a little shorter than I normally read (only ~88k words), but... so far freaking excellent.

Basic premise is a fate/stay night/sekirei crossover -- set before the fifth grail war. So far, Shirou is completely uninvolved. The only servants are ones mentioned in passing from the last war. The main character is the child of the 4th War's Kayneth El-Melloi, who fairly promptly starts acting (almost) exactly like a magus and someone familiar with the fourth grail war would, when shanghai'd into the sekirei plan. It's... it's just pretty great. Sekirei canon gets straight fucked. It's just. Quite wonderful, so far. Got a few more chapters to go, but just on the strength of the first 19, I would heartily recommend this fic to basically anyone.

1. Thank fuck, you've caught my interest.
2. Does that include ignoring all the fanservice?

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2014, 09:07:08 am »

Re: 2, it... actually kinda' lampoons it? The opinion of a (very british) clocktower trained magus in regards to normal sekirei ensembles and bearing is... less than stellar.

E: Annnnd, done. Actually a bit shorter than the word count suggests -- there's a few (three) omake chapters -- but definitely one of the best FS/N fics I've read, even if it's technically crossed over with sekirei. It's probably one of the better clocktower perspective pieces one could make, really. Very definitely recommended, from start to finish.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:22:33 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »

The Handbook of Elf Psychology: Harry Potter. Harry runs away/is left behind in his younger years by a Dursley family outing to a company picnic in a park. He goes feral, and becomes convinced by way of parseltongue and accidental magic that he is an elf. No, not a house-elf, a forest-elf. Highly amusing.

This is amazing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »

Re: 2, it... actually kinda' lampoons it? The opinion of a (very british) clocktower trained magus in regards to normal sekirei ensembles and bearing is... less than stellar.

E: Annnnd, done. Actually a bit shorter than the word count suggests -- there's a few (three) omake chapters -- but definitely one of the best FS/N fics I've read, even if it's technically crossed over with sekirei. It's probably one of the better clocktower perspective pieces one could make, really. Very definitely recommended, from start to finish.

Okay. I'm ~10ish chapters in, and I'll concede that it is, in fact, possible to write a story involving Sekirei without being needlessly perverse. It's quite good, actually; thanks for the recommendation.

3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

The 7th Horcrux

One of the most utterly hilarious fics I've ever read. Basically when Voldemort accidentally imbeds his horcux in Harry, babby Harry accidentally gets imprinted with a set of Voldemorts memories, enough that he pretty much believes himself to be him. But this isn't canon Voldenmort, and hilarity ensues. Wait wait! Don't go yet. It's good I promise! It's kindof a parody of the Sociopathic Harry Who Knows Too Much cliche, as it leads him to completely misunderstand a lot of stuff.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21