Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Torn Planet - Prologue  (Read 27220 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Torn Planet - Prologue
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:18 pm »

Is it possible to join this or is it to late for that?

You're on the waitlist, I'll get back to you if there is ever an opportunity.

((We could probably have two teams of five on separate missions after the first party returns. If all are still alive ^^))

"Er... I think that someone is inside the closet."

Open the the closet and see what is inside.

You slowly creep up to the door, unsure of whether or not this is an ambush. You ready your hand inside your pocket to attempt a bluff in case this is an ambush.

One of the Archive's old janitors stumbles out of the doorway, slowly rubbing his head and swaying about.
"That... scumbag. Ugh, nothing to see here gentlemen."

Hans signals for you to follow him back to the dining hall that you walked through when you first discovered the secret base. You follow him along with Nathom into the large, heavily ornamented room, lit by gold-tinted chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and carpeted with what appears to be some kind of animal skin. You haven't actually seen any great beasts in your entire life aboard this vessel, so it feels like quite an experience to set your foot upon heavily-treated animal skin tessellated to cover the entirety of the floor.

"Ah, alright," Nathom said, his frown lifting somewhat as he hurried after the man, "I see. That puts my mind at rest."
He wasn't too sure about this whole 'dinner' idea, though- that sounded like rather an awkward experience. He didn't eat particularly much to begin with, and when he did he'd much prefer to simply eat and get it over with without any distracting conversation.
Oh well, he did his best to keep his doubts from his expression as he followed. These people were giving him a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, after all- the least he could do was indulge their inconvenient social traditions for an evening.

>Follow the man. Inspecting the surroundings as I go, naturally. Also, how long has it been since I ate, anyway? Check status.

You are slightly hungry, as you turned down a meal when offered one on the plane ride. That was as couple of hours ago, but your last meal was at noon--at least, noon according to your watch. You aren't sure what time it is here, nor how they determine it.

You follow Hans and the other Skylander (Defias is his first name, you presume) into the dining hall. After taking a moment to observe your surroundings, you find that the crowd in the room is broken up into four large groups of ten to twelve all standing in place and discussing matters with each other--you overhear a conversation about the airship's maintainence drones and their reliability. Additionally, there are smaller groups sitting at little tables with four chairs each.
You spot a Skylander whom you previously saw rummaging through a garage back in the hangar. Still wearing that freakish gas mask of his, he sticks out like a sore thumb compared even  to the other Skylanders.

At the same table, you spot another Skylander talking to a bearded man in a dark green trenchcoat--he looks like an ocean dweller to you, judging from the paleness of his skin and his general mannerisms. A man wearing a more traditional gentleman outfit stands up and leaves the table, only to be replaced by another, this one having a mysteriously shadowy face that reflects no light at all. He is carrying a board game in his hands.

Wait for a response, ask Jaffa if he would want a bout later(knife fighting). And win at strategum.

((Waiting for a response from gamerlord... Yoink and HighEndNoob are free to join in if they want however they see fit.))

"Well to put it bluntly, since I've agreed to join you I'm a Sgt without a squad. I could agree to give the fluid to you to use in any way you like if you agree to help me convince our bosses to let me select agents to form a squad. And if your weapons techs can check out my other prototypes and tell me what they do.

Seems like a fair trade since you can make more of any useful prototypes and it'd be a waste of my potential if I don't have a squad to lead.
"

"Looks like you'll be putting your former skills to use, it seems. Our mission for you involves working with a team to recover some lost artifacts from a bunker.

My companions and I would absolutely willing to provide you with help after this is over. The Gentleman's order has quite a bit of influence over the government of this city. We'll be able to get you what you want."

Henry just seats and slightly worries about the events that are about to happen, but that does not expressed on his face. Well, maybe slightly expressed.

Your uneasiness turns out to be relatively unfounded, as the following landing goes by without any complications. You aren't sure what you are actually landing on, as the side viewscreens don't offer a full 3D field of view, but as the craft slows down you look and see on one side a massive hulk of steel and glass, bristling with sensor equipment, small robotics docks, and smeared paint. The plane comes to a stop and you, disoriented, remain in your seat, as do the others in the cabin. They don't seem quite as disoriented or nauseous as you are.

The vehicle taxi's into a large hangar and parks itself alongside other craft that are very similar to it.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2014, 09:33:29 pm »

"What team? I'm gonna want real fighters in my squad not rookies who don't know the blade from the handle."
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2014, 09:24:47 am »

- I guess this place we came has a name?

Dammit, it'll be hard to walk over there. Totally not like being under water, that's for sure.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2014, 03:35:39 pm »

"What team? I'm gonna want real fighters in my squad not rookies who don't know the blade from the handle."

"You don't have to stick with the team we give you. But rest assured, the Gentleman has made sure to pick the best of both worlds for his plans."

- I guess this place we came has a name?

Dammit, it'll be hard to walk over there. Totally not like being under water, that's for sure.

A person seated next to your response to your comment.
"The Archive. A library built before any of the Skytowers. We've kept it afloat for almost two hundred years, although in the earlier years we occasionally stopped at Skytowers for supplies and major repairs. For the last fifty years, though, it's been entirely self-sufficient. Isn't that amazing?"

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2014, 03:51:54 pm »

- That is... astonishing. I could hardly imagine living in towers, but running life in place totally disconnected from land... That just stands beyond the borders of my mind. *sigh* Well, that means that the time has come to extend those, right? It's pretty hard to realize that I am hundreds kilometres higher now than I used to be on the bottom of the ocean. By the way, any precautions I might hear on that point?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:58 pm »

"I prefer to select my own team from personnel I know can follow orders and have the skill sets I want. Not a bunch of random people have no military discipline."
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57:00 pm »

"I prefer to select my own team from personnel I know can follow orders and have the skill sets I want. Not a bunch of random people have no military discipline."

"Hold on... did you think I meant that we would give you a random team after this? Of course not, we will help you find a team. The team you will be with, for the time being, will consist of strangers for very important reasons that even I don't know myself."

- That is... astonishing. I could hardly imagine living in towers, but running life in place totally disconnected from land... That just stands beyond the borders of my mind. *sigh* Well, that means that the time has come to extend those, right? It's pretty hard to realize that I am hundreds kilometres higher now than I used to be on the bottom of the ocean. By the way, any precautions I might hear on that point?

"Not really, it's quite safe up here. If there is ever an emergency that threatens the ship, simply make your way to the upper floors where the library is. Then help the rest of the crews fix and seal the radiation shielding over the windows. Of course, that's unlikely to occur.

You'll want to find the Gentleman. He's the fellow with the shadowy face. You'll figure it out when you see it."

With that, the bearded old straightened his suit and cleaned his glasses before walking off the plane with the rest of the passengers. You are the last one to disembark.

Following the rest of the passengers up some stairs and into a hall, you watch them disperse and go about their various ways to finish their duties. One passenger motions for you to enter through a wide doorway into the most opulent dining hall you have ever seen. It looks to be about fifty meters long and twenty in width. Two glass chandeliers exclusively lit the room and swayed gently from side to side with the airship's movements. Beneath the chandeliers, a long table spanning most of the length of the room was prepared with all sorts of food that hardly recognize. Dark, brown meat from some large animal, pale meat resembling chicken but not quite, and more tropical fruits than would be considered practical.

You spot the man with the shadowed face you were told about, standing at a table holding a puzzlebox. Two foreign, heavily-tanned individuals wearing unusual outfits were currently having a conversation. One of them was wearing a gas mask with a human skull covering the top half, while the other had a belt slung around his shoulder
The other people around the table looked to be members of whatever this institution was. One wore a military uniform, while the other wore a long and flamboyant coat that would most assuredly get him pulled off the vessel if he were to step foot outside. The third was the Gentleman himself who wore a fairly characteristic outfit matching what you expected.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:54 pm »

"I don't like the fact that my life will be in strangers hands this time either, I can't trust them and I don't know anything about them. That puts my life in danger."
Caine's law.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2014, 12:26:18 am »

"Hey Shane, you seem hurt, What'sup?"
"Nothing. I merely want to get this show on the road."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2014, 02:28:32 am »

"I don't like the fact that my life will be in strangers hands this time either, I can't trust them and I don't know anything about them. That puts my life in danger."

The yet-unnamed agent sighs deeply.
"Unfortunately, I am unable to contact the Gentleman at this time for him to clarify, as there is literally an entire ocean between him and us. However, he told me that the mission is low-risk. Personally, I cannot fathom why he would send a group of strangers on a mission to recover some trinkets from the Old World, but that's just me. You're welcome to ask any questions you'd like, although if we are to arrive on time for the discussion it is imperative we leave soon."

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

End discussion and prepare for the mission.
Caine's law.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2014, 03:23:24 pm »

Behave like dwarves in the Unexpected Party chapter of Hobbit
Find a fruit that looks familiar and consume it. Then express my apologies and wait for Gentleman to address me first, for he is the host, and I am a modest guest.
Sigs

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2014, 12:04:22 pm »

Nathom takes his hands from his pockets and lets them hang by his side, watching the crowded room uncertainly.
No-one has told him where he was supposed to sit, so he just stands there for now, studying faces, outfits and the room around him.
"Quite a melting pot, it seems."

>Wait to be told to sit, and then do so. Until then, just watch the room.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2014, 12:14:21 am »

((You, HighEndNoob, and Comrade P. are currently around the entrance of the dining hall.
Superblackcat and Gamerlord are at the table with the Gentleman.
Patrick hunt is about to join the rest of the plot.

Everyone else is inactive as far as I can tell. I can cut the current plot threads off on the spot and have the Gentleman interrupt everyone to begin describing the mission, and also accelerate Patrick Hunt's timeline to match up with the rest. How's that?))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2014, 04:08:04 am »

(( Good with me, nothing else I can do now until the first mission ends. ))
Caine's law.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21