Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87235 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #465 on: January 08, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »

Okay, I've got this rogue mostly done, just some item-buying left to do. As long as Hans is okay with it, I'm going to switch to this guy, because a party (especially of this size) really should have someone to deal with traps and skillmonkeying.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:35 pm »

Okay, I've got this rogue mostly done, just some item-buying left to do. As long as Hans is okay with it, I'm going to switch to this guy, because a party (especially of this size) really should have someone to deal with traps and skillmonkeying.

Sheeeeet. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2014, 09:10:52 pm »

So, am I allowed to post IC? Also, is my character still trying to meet the necromancer or can he meet up with kisame's monk instead?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2014, 09:18:19 pm »

So, am I allowed to post IC? Also, is my character still trying to meet the necromancer or can he meet up with kisame's monk instead?

Just wander in on the group. I haven't moved them forward yet because feet-dragging. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2014, 10:46:52 pm »

Sheeeeet. :P
Finally done.

Here he is.

On a note completely unrelated to incoming packrat tendencies, is it possible to nest bags of holding? I know that mixing them with portable holes is bad juju, but I don't think I've ever read anything about loading up a BoH and putting it inside another one (or a Haversack).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:53:58 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2014, 10:53:45 pm »

Even though we're kobolds, could I please still take the Southern Magician feat?

And if so, could Divine Metamagic apply to my spells?

Also, remember: I have no need to 'hire' minions. However, the ones I create are probably more expensive, if more effective.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »

On a note completely unrelated to incoming packrat tendencies, is it possible to nest bags of holding? I know that mixing them with portable holes is bad juju, but I don't think I've ever read anything about loading up a BoH and putting it inside another one (or a Haversack).

I can promise you that it will end badly. :)

Even though we're kobolds, could I please still take the Southern Magician feat?

And if so, could Divine Metamagic apply to my spells?

Also, remember: I have no need to 'hire' minions. However, the ones I create are probably more expensive, if more effective.

No. And no.
He's fucking with us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2014, 10:56:31 pm »

Fair enough. I can always just buy a few mules.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2014, 11:07:08 pm »

Sure, why not? It can't possibly make things any more complicated than they are.
Challenge accepted.
I can and will murder you with dragons.
I could feasibly wrestle a dragon right now. I have 8 strength less than a Great Wyrm :P.
Wait, what?

Oh good. Muahahahahaha, spiderbold is go!
Spiderbold, spiderbold, does what ever a spider's told...

Although, looking at climb, it says that anything with a climb speed gets a +8 racial bonus to climb checks. Huh. Man, DnD is confusing.
Not so much "confusing" as "contradictory".
How I think it works is most creatures with climb speeds need to make Climb checks (but get a +8 bonus and can always take 10), but spider climb and the like remove the need to make checks.

RAW, nothing happens.
Houserules to fix this are common.

Fair enough. I can always just buy a few mules.  :P
AKA the Poor Man's Handy Haversack.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »

It's like with swim checks; they don't typically need to make checks except to avoid a hazard or when otherwise distracted, but get a +8 in such cases, and can always take ten. I think. Anyway.

Here's what the warriors of the 'Mount should be kitted out like. Just roll with the templates; the sheer number of kobolds should mean that they should be able to find them(also, dragons can shapechange, which is where half-dragons typically come from). This is not perfectly optimized(that requires Strongheart Halfling Crusaders interspersed with Water Orc Barbarians and Wood Elf/Catfolk Warblade/Swordsages(if they can do ranged stuff with their maneuvers; otherwise, fighters or rangers would be more appropriate), and really, such a group should be at level 3-6 on average to represent their elite tactics and ability to survive countless battles.), though.
Kobold Phalanx:
First Rank: Draconic Kobold Fighter 1(really it should be Crusader for true effectiveness, but the fluff behind that really doesn't help.)
Stats(Elite Array): Str 13, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats: Swarmfighting, Phalanx Fighting(more can be added, if flaws or something are used, but these are all that's really needed)
Equipment: breastplate, heavy wooden shield, handaxe, 3 javelins, sling, sling bullets (10)
Fort: +3 Ref: +3 Will: +1 AC: 26 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural, +5 breastplate, +2 heavy shield) Touch: 14 flat-footed: 23 (Their AC becomes 29 in formation)
Attacks: handaxe +2 melee(+5 in formation) (1d4+4/x3) or javelin +4 ranged (1d4+4) or sling +4 ranged (1d3+4)

Second Rank: Half-Dragon Kobold Fighter 1
Stats: Str 19 Dex 16, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
Equipment: breastplate, guisarme, buckler, flail, 3 javelins, sling, sling bullets (10)
Fort: +2 Ref: +3 Will: +1 AC: 22 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural, +5 breastplate, +1 buckler) Touch: 14 flat-footed: 19
Attacks: guisarme +4 melee (1d6+6) or flail +5 melee (1d6+4) or javelin +4 ranged (1d4+4) or sling +4 ranged (1d3+4)

Archers: Draconic Kobold Fighter 1
Stats: Str 13 Dex 16 Con 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats: Rapid Reload, Precise Shot
Equipment: studded leather, buckler, mighty heavy crossbow(+1 Str), bolts (20), sling, sling bullets(10), spear
Fort: +2, Ref: +3, Will:+1 AC: 19 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural,+2 studded leather, +1 buckler) Touch: 14 flat-footed: 16
Attacks: heavy crossbow +4(plus additional possible bonuses) ranged (1d10+1/19-20) or sling +4(see previous) ranged (1d3+1) or spear +2 melee (1d6+1/x3) or spear +4 ranged (1d6+1/x3)

And then various support staff. Bards, sorcerors,etc. Second rank could have swarmfighting too, instead of being half-dragons(draconic is easier to find, is my reasoning).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

Pretty nice. They'd only be one third the battle if there was one, though. I'm sure the Dragon could corral the Wyverns and Drakes out to attack, but they wouldn't be a force. The Dragonkin, Lizardfolk, and Kobolds would be the ones fighting in formation, as an army. I imagined the Dragonkin acting as heavy shock troops, with the Lizardfolk and Kobolds acting as main infantry and skirmishers/ambushers, respectively. They'd also be luring whatever force was attacking into prepared tunnels (With traps courtesy of the Kobolds, naturally) forcing them to grind into the Lizardfolk, slowing their advance, when the Kobolds would attack from the sides and rear through tunnels too small for most things to fit through. While the enemy was swirling in disarray, the Dragonkin would storm into the fight through the Lizardfolk lines, hopefully finishing the disoriented and overextended enemy force.

If all else fails, the Dragon makes a personal appearance. And no, I do not picture the Dragon going all Smaug and chasing the enemy through the tunnels by his lonesome. Fuck no. Prismatic Wall, Wail of the Banshee, Mass Hold Monster, Time Stop, Delayed Blast Fireball, Horrid Wilting. Or you know, he could just buff his army. Mass Invisibility, Haste, Mass Greater Magic Weapon, Mass [Animal]'s [Stat], and so on. This isn't even getting into the really creative stuff, like Stone Shape, or Veil, or all the nigh-limitless possibilities a high level caster has. A nineteenth level caster with an AC of 41 and a SR of 32 (If I just use the basic Great Wyrm Red Dragon stats) and 660 HP up against swarms of soldiers that MIGHT be around level 3-4?

There's a reason the Dragon-Mount hasn't been sacked. It's because it's full of scary badass monsters that don't want to die that are led by a very powerful, even bigger, even more badass monster. Not to mention like three optimizers. :P

Then again, there must obviously be some pretty heavy-hitting enemies out there, or the Dragon would have lead his people out into the world, eh?
He's fucking with us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2014, 02:23:58 am »

I'm clearly not one of those optimizers, right? After all, I have no clue what I'm doing, hehe. :P

nopenopenope, no sir

Man, I got really close to our gold limit, though. Only 3gp left in the ol' coinpurse.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:44:53 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:53 am »

Pretty sure I'm not one of those optimizers either. I hate having negative numbers so I try to ensure that all ability scores have at least a 0 modifier. Even when the ability in question is likely useless for my class :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:25 am »

I'm thinking of getting Dragoncraft equipment and maybe some other stuff from te Draconomicon.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:17 am »

I just try to build a character that isn't going to hold the rest back, but still fits in with the ideas in my head.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47