Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87275 times)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #405 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:06 pm »

Incorrect. What if you need to heal more than 6d8 points of damage in one day? Wand is better for such a case.
If you have to heal more than 6d8 points of damage in one day, you're spending too much on healing.  You'll wear out a Wand in just over a full week of adventuring.  If you go on a long term adventure, either the belt will be gloriously better or it will be marginally better.  There's no "inferior to a wand" level.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:05 pm »

Incorrect. What if you need to heal more than 6d8 points of damage in one day? Wand is better for such a case.
If you have to heal more than 6d8 points of damage in one day, you're spending too much on healing.  You'll wear out a Wand in just over a full week of adventuring.  If you go on a long term adventure, either the belt will be gloriously better or it will be marginally better.  There's no "inferior to a wand" level.
Though I'm far from an expert on D&D, I think he's saying that the wand is better for emergencies.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 08, 2014, 12:03:59 am »

Both should be emergency-use, though. Spell-based healing and cheaper healing are both better, hence why I got a Magic Bedroll and cheap healing things too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 08, 2014, 12:11:37 am »

Okay! Now I just need to roll HP, which worked pretty well :o
My monk may be low-damage, but at least he has a decent chunk of health.

Also, picked up a Handy Haversack.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2014, 12:14:20 am »

I was looking at my HP compared to the other beefy members of the party and wondering why it was so low. It was at that point that I realized I had forgotten to add my CON bonus.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 08, 2014, 12:14:34 am »

Though I'm far from an expert on D&D, I think he's saying that the wand is better for emergencies.
In which case, you've either horribly screwed up somewhere, or you could have the belt AND a Wand.  Also, "Emergencies" usually infers middle of combat, where a wand is worse than the belt.  The belt has fantastic action economy (1 standard action for 4d8) whereas a wand has inefficient action economy (1 action for 1d8+1).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:20 am »

The belt's also much more cost efficient over the long term. That initial 750gp gives you three charges/day for as long as you have it, which means that your gold can go to more important things than buying more wands of heal moderate wounds.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2014, 12:18:27 am »

If I didn't have that monk's belt already I would totally pick up a belt of healing. Oh well :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2014, 12:29:14 am »

You could always stick one in your pack and put it on in non-combat situations where we needed emergency healing.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2014, 12:34:00 am »

Trying not to think too hard about how a really big and old dragon managed to sire offspring with Small-sized creatures.
Well, aside from draconic spellcasting allowing for magical shapeshifting, kobolds have enough draconic blood* that simply expressing old traits isn't impossible.
*According to Races of the Dragon, the first kobolds were literally made from dragon blood!

-snip-
Two notes...
1. All magical weapons must be masterwork, so that's another 300 gp if I'm not mistaken.
2. All magical weapons need at least a +1 enhancement bonus before they can get abilities.

+6 Adamantine Full Plate acquired :D.
+6 is epic. It costs like 10 times what it should, if you're even allowed to have it.

Every table I've looked at explicitly states them as being additional cost per level of enchantment.
Wrong. It's total. Which is irrelevant, because you can't have +6 anything without the Epic Level Handbook.

You could look at it like that. Adding Keen to an item with an existing +n enhancement would increase the total cost of the item to that of a +(n+1) enhancement. Although, the concept of an existing weapon is rather confusing, since enchanted items cannot be upgraded. If you want your +2 sword to be a +3 sword, you have to sell the +2 one and buy a +3.
Wrong. It's stated (in the DMG, I believe) that you can "upgrade" magic items if you have the right feats and stuff. In fact, you can even turn evil magic items good (if you have the Book of Exalted Deeds).

Is it possible to enchant normal, non-armor clothing? Or do you need wondrous items for that?
Never got an answer to this :x
RAW, no.
Many GMs would be willing to let you, if you had masterwork clothing.

If I'm reading correctly, the only advantage adamantine has over mithral for weapons is that it is easier to sunder low hardness items, which isn't really that great.
1. "Less than 20 Hardness" isn't low hardness, it's basically everything short of adamantine. Adamantine weapons are great if you need to break inanimate objects...
2. ...or animate objects, since many constructs (and some other creatures) have DR/adamantine.

You only have level one paladin spells. The only spell I could find that corresponds to Unholy Weapon was Holy Weapon, which is a 5th level Paladin spell. Which you definitely would not have.
Since when do paladins get five spell levels?

Okay, 1 set of Mithril Gauntlets of Shocking Burst get! Expensive yes, but extra damage and improved critical hits should make Ironclaw far more viable.
It needs to be more expensive; as noted, you need at least a +1 enhancement bonus before you can get any abilities for your weapon.

Also, get a shortsword, not a dagger, if you have proficiency. Daggers do shit for damage, even with a critical hit.
Daggers can be thrown, can deal slashing damage, cost less, and besides 1d6 is only one more on average than 1d4.

Anyways. I've finished most everything except my equipment (and any traits/flaws I give myself). What special exceptions do crafting members of the party give us?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2014, 01:04:08 am »

I shtand corrected. In any case, that means I have more gold to spend.

3. Run Resize Enable

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2014, 02:18:06 am »

I'm cruising the DMG for cursed items, and I find the Dust of Sneezing and Coughing.  It's a Save And Die item that is particularly useful for Necromancers with intelligent undead.  If a Wight (or any intelligent undead) walks up to an enemy and then uses this dust, they (and actually all within 20 feet) are stunned for 5d4 rounds.  They must also make 2 saves or take a total of 3d6 Constitution damage.

With this item, one could easily kill kings.  Get an attack bonus high enough and you can just sneak attack anything repeatedly while it's affected by this, since they're denied their dexterity bonus to AC.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2014, 02:52:24 am »

Which is why most GMs ban it outright. It's a TPK in a bag if hostiles have it, and a "get out of death free" card for PCs that have it.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2014, 03:00:29 am »

Which is why most GMs ban it outright. It's a TPK in a bag if hostiles have it, and a "get out of death free" card for PCs that have it.  :P

Of course, not all GM's know about it.  PSA's can help avoid BS scenarios.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2014, 04:36:46 am »

Is it too late to hop in as a kobold?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47