Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 231956 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2014, 10:30:09 am »

Do players know their current mask, assuming they get swapped?
No... they know their mask at the start. After that, they'd need to use Self-Peek. Makes Bus (which should just be called 'Mask Swap') pretty powerful.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2014, 11:15:09 am »

Could copycat be used to double the scum kill?

How do lovers and revive interact?  [If my lover dies and revives, do I die?  If my lover dies but I have a revive, do I die again or stay alive?]

I assume powers can be bought at any time now?  Since you now gain a power at day-start instead of night start, does D1 start with giving you a point?

Mercenary is still useless; especially if you don't gain a point at D1 start.

Can you send in actions "ahead of time" near the lynch for actions like protect and block which make sense to be done early on?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:03 am »

Could copycat be used to double the scum kill?
Hmm, I want to say no. I don't like having so many exceptions for the scum team, but it seems best to disallow the obvious trick of copy-catting the scumkill.

How do lovers and revive interact?  [If my lover dies and revives, do I die?  If my lover dies but I have a revive, do I die again or stay alive?]
A player with a Resurrection actually dies and all death-related effects trigger, including killing Lovers. A player with a Resurrection who's lover is killed would die and then revive (they'd still have the Lover flaw, it just wouldn't do anything).

I assume powers can be bought at any time now?  Since you now gain a power at day-start instead of night start, does D1 start with giving you a point?
Powers can be bought at any time. The flow is Character Creation -> Day -> Lynch -> Resurrections -> Experience Point Gain -> Day etc., so you don't get xp at the start of the game (though you obviously get character creation points).

Also, there'll be a character creation period at the beginning so everyone has their chosen power set before we begin.

Mercenary is still useless; especially if you don't gain a point at D1 start.
It's a legitimate flaw to burden someone with in a Cursed One changeling build.

Can you send in actions "ahead of time" near the lynch for actions like protect and block which make sense to be done early on?
Yeah, I guess that'd be OK. Kinder to people in the wrong time-zone at any rate.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2014, 01:13:01 pm »

Also, Flabort, Death Note mafia looks interesting but in cleaving so close to the show it looks needlessly complicated. Can you link us to a successful game of it?
Here is game 1:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?85553-Death-Note-Werewolf-Game-%28ongoing%29
I think it must have been successful in order for a sequel to be run.

Speaking of Mercenary Changeling Cursed One... I'll PM you a totes broken awesome role that I set up months ago.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »

What happens if you Power Steal a power you already have?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »

You just get an additional copy of it. You could then add different autos or gift it to someone or whathaveyou.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2014, 09:12:15 pm »

Easy break:

Industrious into Flexible. Then start buying and selling 2 point powers for 1 additional point. You suddenly have infinite buying power. Now assuming that I can ONLY buy these powers once, I will gain 15 points. But, that's just being a rules lawyer, and isn't likely to work.

Kill-breaking strategy:
Since I have no idea what number of points Townies start with, all Townies should take the following (As it adds up to 0):
Code: [Select]
1 - Scan (spot how many points a target has)
4 - Explosive (you kill anyone targeting a kill at you as well as dying)
6 - Kill Immune - (you are immune to kills)
-1 - Suspicious. shows up as scum under inspect. Scum get this auto for free.
-1 - Dense (you gain no experience points for surviving the day)
-1 - Mercenary (all your powers cost one point to play. Must have at least one applicable power in order to take this flaw)
-1 - Blatant (every time you target a player, it will be announced at the end of the phase that you targeted them, but not what with)
-1  Minimalist (If you ever receive a power or auto (through Gift, Santa, Bless, Generous etc.) it is randomly given away to a non-minimalist player if there are any non-minimalist players alive.)
-2 - Magnetic (powers have 50% chance of targeting yourself- must have at least one non-self-targeting power to take)
-2 – One-Shot (your powers disappear after they've been used. Must have at least one power to take.)
-2 - Intermittent (your powers only work on even phases)
No kills are possible. However, votes could be stolen and the game won that way... So, the work around, of course, is
2 – Industrious (other autos cost one less to purchase, to a minimum of 1)
3 – Super-Saint (The person who casts the final lynch vote on you will also die)
for an extra cost of 2 points. These 2 points should come from
-2 - Unable to vote
Boom. Unkillable, super saint, PGO Townies at the cost of 0 points.

Do I win?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:01 pm »

Then the scum will just lynch all the townies.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2014, 09:15:31 pm »

Then the scum will just lynch all the townies.
Super Saint means they die for putting any lynching vote on them. The Town outnumber the scum, after all.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »

5 points to start with, by the way.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2014, 09:16:30 pm »

Good catch.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »

5 points to start with, by the way.
Oh, you guys are so screwed now.

5 points is like becoming a god.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2014, 09:32:06 pm »

I've got my own strategy for becoming all powerful. Works as both Town and Scum. It's not that one.

I used a lot of power modifiers, though, in order to make it work. NQT, I PMed it to you. Preliminary thoughts, without reveal what it is?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »

I've got my own strategy for becoming all powerful. Works as both Town and Scum. It's not that one.

I used a lot of power modifiers, though, in order to make it work. NQT, I PMed it to you. Preliminary thoughts, without reveal what it is?
Cool. I came up with amazing godlike powers too. But I won't tell you what it is because I didn't.

Add the following for 5 points.

2 - Unstoppable (can't be blocked or protected against. Immunities still apply)
3 – Holy (cannot be cursed, blessings have a 50% chance of giving you an auto further down this list)
3 – Hardy (you cannot be sapped or recycled)

Holy blocks potential stalls on the scumteam to Curse the Town into submission. Hardy blocks nothing, but you might as well get it. Same with Unstoppable.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2014, 03:51:06 am »

Easy break:

Industrious into Flexible. Then start buying and selling 2 point powers for 1 additional point. You suddenly have infinite buying power. Now assuming that I can ONLY buy these powers once, I will gain 15 points. But, that's just being a rules lawyer, and isn't likely to work.
Good spot! This is why I opened it to the floor. Yeah, I'll reword those to prevent that sort of shenanigan. Might just scrap Industrious.

Kill-breaking strategy:
Since I have no idea what number of points Townies start with, all Townies should take the following (As it adds up to 0):
1 - Scan (spot how many points a target has)
4 - Explosive (you kill anyone targeting a kill at you as well as dying)
6 - Kill Immune - (you are immune to kills)
-1 - Suspicious. shows up as scum under inspect. Scum get this auto for free.
-1 - Dense (you gain no experience points for surviving the day)
-1 - Mercenary (all your powers cost one point to play. Must have at least one applicable power in order to take this flaw)
-1 - Blatant (every time you target a player, it will be announced at the end of the phase that you targeted them, but not what with)
-1  Minimalist (If you ever receive a power or auto (through Gift, Santa, Bless, Generous etc.) it is randomly given away to a non-minimalist player if there are any non-minimalist players alive.)
-2 - Magnetic (powers have 50% chance of targeting yourself- must have at least one non-self-targeting power to take)
-2 – One-Shot (your powers disappear after they've been used. Must have at least one power to take.)
-2 - Intermittent (your powers only work on even phases)
No kills are possible. However, votes could be stolen and the game won that way... So, the work around, of course, is
2 – Industrious (other autos cost one less to purchase, to a minimum of 1)
3 – Super-Saint (The person who casts the final lynch vote on you will also die)
for an extra cost of 2 points. These 2 points should come from
-2 - Unable to vote
Boom. Unkillable, super saint, PGO Townies at the cost of 0 points.

Do I win?
Flaws can only be taken at character creation and town players can't conspire during character creation, so there's no guarantee of everyone taking that set-up.

You get 5 points to begin with, I'm considering of instigating a -5 point flaw cap to prevent the more extreme kinds of min-maxing (though a certain amount of munchikining is encouraged).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62