Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331970 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2415 on: October 16, 2021, 02:04:24 pm »

Could be... that'd open up, uh. Basically everything? Even a lot of newer games don't break 1 gig hd space. Most emulation that's not PS2+ era fits under that, too... even plenty that is that new, for that matter. It's a wide field to choose from, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 23, 2021, 02:07:46 am »

Hi, fellas.   
I have just assembled a "new" PC (basically a frankenstein'd monster cobbled together mostly from parts I bought for cheap or scavenged from my friends) and am looking for some games to get stuck into. In particular, something co-op with (preferably persistent) base building. Otherwise I'm not too fussy. Whether it's just you and your buddies or if there are other players and possibly PVP, anything goes.   
One friend and I used to play a fair bit of Don't Starve so we'll probably get back into that at some point, and another friend mentioned kinda wanting to get into Rust back in the day, though he was put off by the jankiness - so I guess a decent modern Rust clone could be an option.   

Thanks in advance!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 23, 2021, 02:46:27 am »

Since you mentioned Don't Starve, I want to ask if you've tried Terraria co-op yet?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 23, 2021, 02:49:02 am »

Hi, fellas.   
I have just assembled a "new" PC (basically a frankenstein'd monster cobbled together mostly from parts I bought for cheap or scavenged from my friends) and am looking for some games to get stuck into. In particular, something co-op with (preferably persistent) base building. Otherwise I'm not too fussy. Whether it's just you and your buddies or if there are other players and possibly PVP, anything goes.   
One friend and I used to play a fair bit of Don't Starve so we'll probably get back into that at some point, and another friend mentioned kinda wanting to get into Rust back in the day, though he was put off by the jankiness - so I guess a decent modern Rust clone could be an option.   

Thanks in advance!   

I understand that Factorio makes for good co-op base-building experience, and (obviously) so is modded Minecraft. Starbound and Terraria are also quite playable that way. No Man's Sky also has co-op features now.

Is Haven & Hearth still out there? Made for a nice URW-like with way too much controversy and PVP the last time I tried years ago.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 23, 2021, 03:45:24 am »

Since you mentioned Don't Starve, I want to ask if you've tried Terraria co-op yet?
Hmmm, I've spoken about it with my friend in the past as he apparently used to play it a fair bit, I don't think he suggested it though.   
Pretty sure I've only played Starbound, and that only briefly.   

I understand that Factorio makes for good co-op base-building experience, and (obviously) so is modded Minecraft. Starbound and Terraria are also quite playable that way. No Man's Sky also has co-op features now.

Is Haven & Hearth still out there? Made for a nice URW-like with way too much controversy and PVP the last time I tried years ago.
Co-op Factorio?? That sounds rather interesting, I didn't realise it had multiplayer. Or maybe I did, but forgot.   
I've never really had much interest in Minecraft. NMS could be interesting, but I don't know if I want to test my new computer that badly, haha...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 23, 2021, 05:30:57 am »

Stardew Valley has multiplayer, if you're in the mood for something relaxed.

And not a base-builder, but the most fun I've had on multiplayer lately was with Overcooked. Very, very shouty, but satisfying when things click. (Also the best title of its ilk, I'd say.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 23, 2021, 10:18:19 am »

Seeing Rust mentionned, while i have not played them personnally i often read people into this kind of modern 3D survival + coop + base building genre praising "The Forest" or "Ark" a lot.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 23, 2021, 06:52:08 pm »

Terraria's pretty alright, but I'd wait until the modding stuff gets fully updated. Lots of it adds real neat stuff to the game, but the upgrades to bring the modding backend up to the latest version of the main are very not out of alpha testing. Very not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: November 24, 2021, 06:29:26 pm »

Stardew Valley has multiplayer, if you're in the mood for something relaxed.

And not a base-builder, but the most fun I've had on multiplayer lately was with Overcooked. Very, very shouty, but satisfying when things click. (Also the best title of its ilk, I'd say.)
I was kind of interested in Stardew Valley, even if it looks like ass, but I was thinking of getting it on console for local multiplayer.   

Overcooked is truly amazing for couch co-op, I friggin' love that game. Played it a while back with two friends and it was a wonderful, hysterical time.   
Definitely not relaxing in the slightest, though. Not that I'm necessarily after relaxing, but y'know. Oh and I should clarify that I love the gameplay - the progression, not so much. We eventually reached a point where we didn't have enough stars to continue and after a few attempts at re-doing old levels we kinda gave up. In a similar vein, I really dig what I've seen so far of Moving Out - similar levels of chaos and teamwork, as well as tough challenges to do, but it doesn't seem quite as harsh with requiring you to do well to progress.   

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic. The Forest looks interesting if I can get it on sale, apparently my PC can actually run it. Green Hell looks really damn cool from the brief gameplay trailer I watched, buuuuut I think I'm just shy of the "recommended" requirements, so who knows if it would work at all. I'm not experienced with this kinda thing and I'd rather not buy a game I can't run without upgrading - I've spent enough (not much, but enough) money on this computer business already, haha.   
Ark came up in conversation the other day when my friend was tryna remember the name of some survival game with dinosaurs, but apparently he was thinking of something else. I should ask the fellas if they'd be keen to play that one.   

Other ones that look intriguing are Valheim (my friend was kinda hyped when I told him about the boats) or that game where you play as kids shrunk down to bug size in a backyard, but I don't know if I could run 'em. This Scrap Mechanic game I just came across looks like it might fit the bill, too. Apparently I meet the recommended requirements, which is a plus. Anyway, I'm gonna get back to looking through the co-op section of the Steam Autumn sale.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 24, 2021, 08:51:32 pm »

Valheim you probably will be able to run. I was surprised to discover its only about a gigabyte in size when I downloaded it, and its not very needy on your computer from my experience playing it with friends.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: November 25, 2021, 04:36:52 am »

That's amazing, honestly! My friend and I ended up buying the game and my mind is kinda blown by how nice it manages to look.   
So far we're loving the game overall, too. I'm pretty stoked about it. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 28, 2021, 07:29:43 pm »

Needs some suggestions for RPGs under 10 hours in length, maybe 12 hours tops.

Not rougelikes or highly procedurally generated
Not Super Mario RPG, since I've played that countless times already
Retro, consoles, RPG maker stuff ok, so long as the user interface isn't overly clumsy
Otherwise the quality of the game doesn't matter.  It can be very poorly made and unbalanced, so long as it isn't a hassle to issue commands/navigate menus/equip stuff/etc

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 28, 2021, 07:47:09 pm »

The GBA Fire Emblems are around that long, I'd reckon - and can be played fast and loose with character deaths or meticulously slow with restarts to avoid any deaths at all. (Fire Emblem The Blazing Sword? [the first GBA one] was fan-translated, I believe)

To The Moon is RPG-ish, though it's more of a story game.

Contact is a very good DS RPG that I think a lot of people slept on. Around 10 hours as well.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 28, 2021, 10:21:23 pm »

As mentioned above, all three of Kan Gao's To the Moon series are under 10 hours. RPG maker, little in the way of gameplay, VN-like in their linearity, but - to me at least - had great stories and nice music.

Firewatch, again little action but neat story, excellent atmosphere and VA, and some good vista.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective on DS is not all that long, but is more of a puzzle game.

Some more recent metroidvanias could be done under 12 hours, but that's skirting the definition of RPG.

With sufficient focus and rush, I think the main quests of Oblivion and Skyrim could be done under 12 hours. But I'm sure those are not what you meant.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 28, 2021, 10:55:49 pm »

If you try really hard you can beat Morrowind in less than 10 minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 179