Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331954 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2430 on: November 28, 2021, 11:01:50 pm »

Needs some suggestions for RPGs under 10 hours in length, maybe 12 hours tops.

I think Ikenfell fits your criteria; and IIRC Omori was also about that length.

PPE: Online it's saying 20 hours each. IDK. They feel pretty short to me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 29, 2021, 12:23:13 am »

Not rougelikes or highly procedurally generated
Not Super Mario RPG, since I've played that countless times already
Retro, consoles, RPG maker stuff ok, so long as the user interface isn't overly clumsy
Otherwise the quality of the game doesn't matter.  It can be very poorly made and unbalanced, so long as it isn't a hassle to issue commands/navigate menus/equip stuff/etc

I rather enjoyed Battle Chasers: Nightwar. Took me about 11 hours to finish it with most sidequests and non-postgame/grind achievements. Usually pretty cheap too.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 29, 2021, 01:09:47 am »

If you try really hard you can beat Morrowind in less than 10 minutes.
I actually haven't beat it once after hundreds of hours.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 29, 2021, 01:57:48 pm »

Hakoniwa Explorer Plus fits on time. Art is suggestive but nothing worse that what is featured on store page. There is some inventory management/menu hopping required but I don't remember it feeling too annoying.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 29, 2021, 04:34:36 pm »

That's a pretty rough number - a lot of RPGs are barely out of the starter zone in ten hours!

Going from my Steam totals - I finished Pyre in 17 hours. Good Visual Novel / Sportsball gameplay with branching decision paths.
Bastion I finished in 12 hours... action RPG - not sure if it's what you're looking for. Beautiful music and graphics though.
The various "Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice Of Darkness" episodes all clocked in around 10 hours each. Those were fun.
Cave Story+, my playthrough clocked in at 7 hours. That's another action RPG though.
Undertale, ~6 hours. Probably fits what you're looking for. Don't spoil yourself going into it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 30, 2021, 12:56:27 am »

I second Undertale. If you know nothing about it it will be one of the best games you have ever played.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 30, 2021, 02:46:19 am »

Gonna have to third that. Undertale is a must play.

I do wonder why you're looking for under 12 hours specifically? I understand that a lot of RPGs are bloated and padded with filler, but Disco Elysium is one of the best RPGs out there as far as the ratio of time-spent to enjoyment is concerned, but my first playthrough still took around 25 hours.

Why wouldn't you want 25 hours of pure excellence?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 30, 2021, 01:38:00 pm »

Disco Elysium

got to second this one. disco elysium might take a bit but damn its good and if you take the time to read the text, its very thought provoking and entertaining.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 30, 2021, 05:11:47 pm »

Got recommendations for good singleplayer survival games? Extra points if its got base building and NPCs that join your lil settlement

Been looking for this very thing, though some base building and NPC's are required for me, not extra. Any new suggestions? This War of Mine, Dead State and Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven are some very different examples of the kind of game I'm looking for. I've tried Kenshi as well but wasn't grabbed by it. There's CDDA as well I guess which is a terrific game that I've played for years, but while it does the survival aspect really well and base building is ok, it's still lacking in the NPC department and thus not really what I'm looking for here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 30, 2021, 07:37:55 pm »

Gonna have to third that. Undertale is a must play.

I honestly haven't found it to be my favorite but I agree that it is very suitable for the constraints mentioned and seems to be quite well-made.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: November 30, 2021, 07:38:29 pm »

I thought Disco Elysium was a dance game.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 30, 2021, 07:40:15 pm »

Got recommendations for good singleplayer survival games? Extra points if its got base building and NPCs that join your lil settlement

Been looking for this very thing, though some base building and NPC's are required for me, not extra. Any new suggestions? This War of Mine, Dead State and Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven are some very different examples of the kind of game I'm looking for. I've tried Kenshi as well but wasn't grabbed by it. There's CDDA as well I guess which is a terrific game that I've played for years, but while it does the survival aspect really well and base building is ok, it's still lacking in the NPC department and thus not really what I'm looking for here.

Survivalist

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 30, 2021, 10:56:28 pm »

Disco Elysium

got to second this one. disco elysium might take a bit but damn its good and if you take the time to read the text, its very thought provoking and entertaining.

Plus, depending on your choices and character, you can get an ending in less than 10 minutes, which someone was asking about.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 01, 2021, 01:28:08 pm »

Not rougelikes or highly procedurally generated
Not Super Mario RPG, since I've played that countless times already
Retro, consoles, RPG maker stuff ok, so long as the user interface isn't overly clumsy
Otherwise the quality of the game doesn't matter.  It can be very poorly made and unbalanced, so long as it isn't a hassle to issue commands/navigate menus/equip stuff/etc

Does Heat Signature count?  Action (VERY action, but you can and should pause a lot) rpg?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 01, 2021, 02:44:35 pm »

Heat Signature is pretty heavily procedurally generated though, isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 179