Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331899 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2280 on: February 12, 2021, 11:14:30 am »

I've never actually played a final fantasy, strange though that may be. But I've heard good things about FFIX before and it seems to be in my budget range, so I'm going to give it a go! Thanks everyone

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 12, 2021, 12:35:36 pm »

I've never actually played a final fantasy, strange though that may be. But I've heard good things about FFIX before and it seems to be in my budget range, so I'm going to give it a go! Thanks everyone

9 is one of the best, and looks great with the graphical update mod. 5 and 6 were also great, and have the sprite graphics that really don't age.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 12, 2021, 02:58:02 pm »

9 is one of the best, and looks great with the graphical update mod. 5 and 6 were also great, and have the sprite graphics that really don't age.

I liked the original FF, I think it's the only one I finished.  Probably can get it free somehow on the Switch.

Alright, so I am looking for a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff.

Requirements:
It can't be turn based.

Dunno if Amazing Cultivator Simulator counts, since most players are really picky about who gets to become Inner Disciples and explore stuff.  It's more about personal exploration than about cave diving.

Dungeon of the Endless is fun.  It's wave based: The action is real-time, but enemies only trigger when you explore.  And they're certainly Misfits.  Except instead of "Explore stuff" it's more like "try to get out alive".

Oh, and Heart of Iron 4's Fallout Mod "Old World Blues" feels explory and many of the nations are band of misfitty.  But its basically a wargame.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 27, 2021, 09:55:44 pm »

I suddenly feel like playing a RPG (sci-fi preferred) that involves a ton of crafting where things just ramp up to ludicrous levels. A type of power ramp akin to games like disgaea, where you are an ant early game and a world destroying meteor late game.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: March 04, 2021, 12:01:39 am »

Recommend me MMOs that have some kind of like... party management system? Like Conquerers Blade--but with a more personal spin on it. Or ones that are more zoomed out but not in such a way that they become MMORTSs--something like Imperium Nova or Barons of the Galaxy but a lil more flexible and personable.

Honestly that's a niche request so if anyone turns anything up, large brownie points to ye!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: March 04, 2021, 12:31:25 am »

I suddenly feel like playing a RPG (sci-fi preferred) that involves a ton of crafting where things just ramp up to ludicrous levels. A type of power ramp akin to games like disgaea, where you are an ant early game and a world destroying meteor late game.

Parasite Eve comes to mind.  The crafting system is very simple and not very extensive.  It's a short game, 8-10 hours on a first playthrough but with a new game plus mode.  I recommend it regardless.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:33:35 am by Stench Guzman »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: March 04, 2021, 11:48:36 am »

Parasite Eve comes to mind.  The crafting system is very simple and not very extensive.  It's a short game, 8-10 hours on a first playthrough but with a new game plus mode.  I recommend it regardless.
I'll rudely butt in to say that i never felt that i'm playing as a piece of shit in the guts harder than in this game. Park pathways in chapter 2 are so narrow you literally can't make two steps sideways. And at the end of chapter there are three paths you seemingly can go trough, but they actually open in a strict cutscene-dictated order. I finished the chapter and then deleted the game in disgust.  ::) Game is otherwise passable, though.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: March 04, 2021, 02:29:40 pm »

Well I don't have any of the consoles so I don't think I'm going to end up playing it anyway.  :-\

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: March 04, 2021, 06:57:12 pm »

Eeehhh... I mean. It's PSX, originally. *coughs like it's 9/19*

Can't recall anything offhand that meets the criteria of sci-fi+crafting+end-game absurdity, though. It's ringing a bell for some reason, but I can't remember why :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: March 04, 2021, 08:56:54 pm »

I'll settle with just end-game-absurdity. Just make sure it's really absurd :)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: March 07, 2021, 08:26:02 pm »

I'm thinking of starbound, a sci-fi terraria clone, but I don't think it has the absurdity you want. It also pales in comparison to terraira.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: March 07, 2021, 10:00:50 pm »

Modded Terraria definitely can get wildly absurd late game, if you're going for that sort of deal. Throw a few major mods together and things can get pretty crazy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: March 07, 2021, 11:42:56 pm »

Eeehhh... I mean. It's PSX, originally. *coughs like it's 9/19*

Can't recall anything offhand that meets the criteria of sci-fi+crafting+end-game absurdity, though. It's ringing a bell for some reason, but I can't remember why :-\

Elona

Bell was the hint.  Sci-fi was a seeming red herring, but they got guns, laser, lightsabers, and airplanes.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: March 08, 2021, 02:36:23 am »

Hahaha. I've already played all of those.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: March 08, 2021, 04:20:56 pm »

Wait, I just realized, Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead technically counts! It's a roguelike, so you'll most certainly die before reaching the absurdity (or the Sci-fi for the matter), but I think a game with a vehicle crafting system that allows you to eventually reenact Mortal Engines should definitely count.

It's almost definitely not what you actually want though. The game is in ASCII for one thing, but it's also become hated for a lot of other reasons over the years.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 179