Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331876 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2250 on: January 03, 2021, 02:55:18 pm »

4x RPGs (the best name I've found for it that isn't "it's like mount and blade, but...",) like Starsector, Mount and Blade, Space Rangers HD, all the Soldak games, Freeman Guerilla Warfare, the Last Federation, the X3 games and Elite Dangerous and a bunch of space sims, a little EA title called This Land is my Land, another little EA title called Sands of Salzaar, and Dwarf Fortress' adventurer mode, are my favorite jam. I have spent a medically unhealthy amount of hours scouring GOG and Steam for games like this. For whatever reason, when they do come around (and they don't, generally, I haven't really found one made by a AAA developer) they tend to come in one of three flavors:

A) A MOBA-like
B) As mentioned before, a space sim
C) Broken

Freeman and This Land is My Land1 fall into the latter category. Which makes me sad, because they're the ones I'd go to first; I generally don't go for MOBAs and Starsector has kind of given me my fill of being a spaceman in a dynamic world. My dream-game is like, a version of Fallout: New Vegas where the war between the NCR and the Legion actually happens in real time, and instead of being purely reactive the game does its own stuff while you run around doing quests and such. Or a version of Metal Gear V where all the PMC's muck about with one another instead of just sitting around, waiting for you to come kill them. I like being an independent agent in games where the world is fractured into parts that proactively pursue agendas. It doesn't even have to be as drastic as something like Mount and Blade, where you can drift between tactical and strategic gameplay; actually, I aggressively prefer the tactical side. I just really like the idea, at least, of the world being simulated and alive, and your actions being based within it in some way.

Anybody got something like this I haven't mentioned?

1Well, kind of. The dev's priorities seem kind of skewed and there's one too many bits of absurd jank that put the fear in me it's going to turn out to be abandonware.
To some extent, Battle Brothers might fit the bill, though having an actual war between factions happen is one of possible late game crisis events rather than something standard that happens on its own (others include an undead invasion and a green skin invasion). For the most part, it's a smaller scale, turn-based Mount & Blade with slightly more detail on the mercenary band aspects.

Kenshi, when modded, can apparently have factions try to actually do anything against each other, though I have no idea how well that plays out. Game itself is also a kind of detailed grow-your-band type of RPG (with strategy elements) in a very original setting.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: January 03, 2021, 08:34:22 pm »

I'll give it a shot and recommend Sid Meier's Pirates, but:

1) You can't really capture things, just hand them over to nations

2) It's such a popular and well-known game that I'm sure you already know about it.

Kakroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: January 03, 2021, 11:09:32 pm »

I didn't! This looks great. And it's only two bucks. I am into it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:28:30 am by Kakroom »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: January 04, 2021, 01:32:22 am »

Star Trader Frontiers is another one in the genre—surprisingly deep, like Darkest Dungeon combat (both human level and spaceship level) only you have a crew of thirty or so, including captain and officers who can multiclass and a whole galaxy that does run without you, including plot twists and eventually massive alien invasions to deal with (or keep smuggling, pirating, spying, exploring alien worlds etc for the money)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: January 04, 2021, 05:22:33 am »

I didn't! This looks great. And it's only two bucks. I am into it.

Well damn. Enjoy the gold mine you have just stumbled upon :)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: January 04, 2021, 10:17:48 am »

Star Trader Frontiers is another one in the genre—surprisingly deep, like Darkest Dungeon combat (both human level and spaceship level) only you have a crew of thirty or so, including captain and officers who can multiclass and a whole galaxy that does run without you, including plot twists and eventually massive alien invasions to deal with (or keep smuggling, pirating, spying, exploring alien worlds etc for the money)

This game is also pretty hard apparently... maybe I just suck at it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: January 31, 2021, 06:39:39 am »

Any games out there with hundreds of unique mechanics that all accumulate into one big design? Maybe a puzzle game, maybe an engineering game. I'm just addicted to learning new game mechanics.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: January 31, 2021, 08:49:43 am »

Any games out there with hundreds of unique mechanics that all accumulate into one big design? Maybe a puzzle game, maybe an engineering game. I'm just addicted to learning new game mechanics.

Uh... SS13?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: January 31, 2021, 09:45:41 am »

Uh... SS13?

i have spent an entire summer learning how to do every job on the station and the only one i fail at is security because i easily become shitcurity when given any amount of real power. my personal favorite is chef because i can be an antag, killing people, and a productive member of the station, turning those victims into meals for the station. everyone wins.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: January 31, 2021, 10:45:47 am »

Uh... SS13?

i have spent an entire summer learning how to do every job on the station and the only one i fail at is security because i easily become shitcurity when given any amount of real power. my personal favorite is chef because i can be an antag, killing people, and a productive member of the station, turning those victims into meals for the station. everyone wins.

Obviously it is time to go CE and fuck off to build your own station, with blackjack and hookers.

I tend to roll CMO and fuck with chemistry while yelling at everyone to stop being incompetent/suicidal (way back in the days when I played on Goon, I developed an anti-changeling pill that could instantly neutralize a sting), but I will admit to having a certain fondness for janitor... Although I normally leave that for the greenhorns to go play with. I've had my time basking in the sparkle of a clean floor, like when I filled the waxing cart with a concussive explosive gel that annihilated half the station while I just puttered around unharmed.

Ah, good times...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: January 31, 2021, 01:23:03 pm »

Uh... SS13?

Haha yep I've played the shit out of SS13. I'm the type of engineer that gets the engine up, begs for access to EVA and teleport, and fly off into space to establish new bases.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: February 10, 2021, 09:18:13 am »

Alright, so I am looking for a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff.

Requirements:
It can't be turn based.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: February 10, 2021, 09:46:57 am »

Alright, so I am looking for a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff.

Battle Bro-
It can't be turn based.
Hmmmmmmmmm.

Kenshi, but I feel like you have to have heard about that game already.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: February 10, 2021, 11:15:17 am »

Kenshi is unfortunately one of a kind.

Mount and Blade might scratch that itch, though it's not primarily about the allies you pick up.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 10, 2021, 12:38:52 pm »

Kenshi is unfortunately one of a kind.

Mount and Blade might scratch that itch, though it's not primarily about the allies you pick up.

You can do companion only parties!

EDIT:

Requirements:
It can't be turn based.

Well, I suppose you could try KOTOR or the other Bioware RPGs. However the quality among them all is... inconsistent.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:40:23 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 179