Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331400 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1245 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:05 pm »

For those who've played AdventureQuest: Is there a game like it for mobile?

AdventureQuest basically defined mobile games-the good and the bad-on the PC before smartphones even existed, so I'd be surprised if somebody hasn't created an AdventureQuest-like game for Android or iOS.

What's AdventureQuest? How did it define mobile games on the PC before smartphones existed, which sounds like a miraculous accomplishment, and yet I've never heard of it*?

* or it wasn't interesting enough to remember
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: September 21, 2016, 07:42:55 pm »

A fairly shitty flash based pseudo-mmorpg. One of the earlier ones, which made it relatively popular/influential due largely to lack of other options. There's definitely a number of mobile games that have similar combat systems, if nothing else. Skim through the google playstore's RPG stuff for who knows how many of similar construction. Been long enough since I last played the thing that I can't recall much of every other aspect of it, heh.

Can't recommend any, though. "Looked like AQ" (if not with the specific comparison, since it's been years since AQ was much to me besides the occasional annoying banner ad) was something on the short list to skip that game and go look for something else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ZebAbirul

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly neighborhood lurking extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 22, 2016, 05:37:29 am »

I am looking for a newish crpg. I have already gone through Legends of Grimrock 1 and 2 and I was wondering if anyone else can help me get some more of those tasty tasty Ultima 'member berries.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:18 am »

I am looking for a newish crpg. I have already gone through Legends of Grimrock 1 and 2 and I was wondering if anyone else can help me get some more of those tasty tasty Ultima 'member berries.
Age of Decadence, it's quite an interesting setting but the combat can be really difficult, so be prepared for that.

Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin have the more traditional fantasy setting and are quite fun to play through (though Divinity tends to be a bit wordy)

Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun Hong Kong, if you want something cyberpunk

Oh, if you haven't played the originals, the devs have been releasing remasters of the old Avernum games with the years, so do check those out if you're interested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 22, 2016, 02:35:46 pm »

Heads up Divinity is impressively generic.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:29 pm »

Heads up Divinity is impressively generic.
It's also incredibly wordy, which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't as bland as plain rice served with a glass of lukewarm water.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1251 on: September 22, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »

For those interested, Rise and Fall Civilisations At War is IMO superior to Age of Empires games. https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Civilizations-At-War-PC/dp/B000BT1BUS

Only 24 cents on amazon for some reason.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: September 26, 2016, 01:46:52 am »

Here's this one is probably a weird set of specs (and actually probably deserving of its own thread, if enough ideas pop out) but here goes:

Looking for something on Windows with at least some degree of depth and complexity that has native support for a high-resolution pure touch interface that can be played offline. (The 'depth and complexity' bit isn't too steep, but if I have to play one more round of Candy Crush...)

Civ5/BE works out beautifully, and I've heard that the newer X-Coms are good for this too. Grimrock 2, unfortunately, kind of falls into an iffy area. It has a touch mode, but it doesn't seem to work out all that well. Other than those... it's been mostly Humble Mobile & PC Bundle selections.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:51 am »

For those interested, Rise and Fall Civilisations At War is IMO superior to Age of Empires games. https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Civilizations-At-War-PC/dp/B000BT1BUS

Only 24 cents on amazon for some reason.

StarForce! 凸 NOPE 凸

You shouldn't ever allow something that requires StarForce onto your computer.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: September 26, 2016, 06:58:58 pm »

I'm looking for a good detailed navy sim. Something that tracks damage and crew, with an rpg like progression. Preferably something free form instead of set battles. Much like Silent Hunter but with playable battleships. Atlantic Fleet is fantastic as well, but it has set battles and no crew details.
Rule The Waves is a naval grand strategy sim where you design and manage a country's battleship-era fleet and control ships in battles randomly generated  based on the strategic situation.  Not the prettiest and it has a high learning curve, and the emphasis is more on the broad strategy than on single ships, but it's a lot of fun and meets all the requirements (well, crew details are limited to a skill rating on each ship).

Here's this one is probably a weird set of specs (and actually probably deserving of its own thread, if enough ideas pop out) but here goes:

Looking for something on Windows with at least some degree of depth and complexity that has native support for a high-resolution pure touch interface that can be played offline. (The 'depth and complexity' bit isn't too steep, but if I have to play one more round of Candy Crush...)

Civ5/BE works out beautifully, and I've heard that the newer X-Coms are good for this too. Grimrock 2, unfortunately, kind of falls into an iffy area. It has a touch mode, but it doesn't seem to work out all that well. Other than those... it's been mostly Humble Mobile & PC Bundle selections.
Some of the Touhou games are easy to set up for mouse control, and they'd be well suited to a touch screen, as would any other scrolling shooter that uses a mouse.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 09, 2016, 07:04:37 am »

Can anyone recommend a good horror game about robots? Something like System Shock 2 or FNAF where the villains are haunted machines, sentient killer AIs, horrific forced cyborgs and so on. And yes, I do want it to be quite scary, even if that means cheap jumpscares.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: October 09, 2016, 07:08:36 am »

Can anyone recommend a good horror game about robots? Something like System Shock 2 or FNAF where the villains are haunted machines, sentient killer AIs, horrific forced cyborgs and so on. And yes, I do want it to be quite scary, even if that means cheap jumpscares.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Victorian era styled survival game about being hunted by robots suit your request?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: October 09, 2016, 07:16:54 am »

SOMA also. It's more in the vein of Amnesia: The Dark Descent than System Shock 2 though, gameplay wise.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: October 10, 2016, 12:22:40 pm »

Are there any good party based RPGs out there in the style of Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity that aren't 50+ hours long?

I wanted to pick up a game for someone who loves that style of game but doesn't have the time to commit to such a long campaign anymore.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: October 10, 2016, 12:45:30 pm »

Um... more combat focused, but you might check out Knights of the Chalice? Party based, pretty overall solid, not all that long, particularly if you try to avoid grinding or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 179