Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331339 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1140 on: June 20, 2016, 07:26:32 am »

One ordering can be the date a game was added to the list. No judgement or research needed and it's just as meaningless.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 20, 2016, 07:49:29 am »

You're right.  Your meaningless criteria is much more logical than his, he should take down his crazy list of niche games.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 20, 2016, 08:03:26 am »

I was refuting "the site made him do it", not claiming my solution was better. Not sure where the hostility is warranted.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 20, 2016, 08:31:25 am »

I wish there was a more recent iteration of that game, was lots of fun back in the day. I was looking at Train Fever but it has mixed reviews and doesn't seem to be as deep as the Railroad Tycoon series based on what people are saying
Dunno. I liked the passenger system where people decided where they want to go before becoming passengers on your station.
So if someone in town A wanted to go to town B but there was no connection there he wouldn't become a passenger.
Bit if there was an indirect connection from A to B the passenger get off the train in station C and wait for for the train heading to B.
And you could make extra money off that by building a hotel and restaurant in station C.
I found it pretty fun personally
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 11, 2016, 05:08:48 am »

My friend is regifting me a 3DS since he already has one. What are the must-own 3DS games?

1) No sequels or spinoffs, I want something unique. I already know about and plan to buy Pokemon Art Academy though.
2) No remakes or ports, I already know about most of those.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 11, 2016, 07:05:27 am »

Even if it's a standalone title?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 11, 2016, 07:18:14 am »

Standalone in what way?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 11, 2016, 07:31:10 am »

As in it's part of a franchise but you don't need to have played the previous games to understand the plot or such, and you aren't missing out on anything.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 11, 2016, 07:33:11 am »

Any games in which you are a trader travelling around, buying resources on the cheap and selling them expensive-like on other places?

I've already tried Elite, Freelancer, Oolite and Mount & Blade (including Warband and many, many mods)

My friend is regifting me a 3DS since he already has one. What are the must-own 3DS games?

1) No sequels or spinoffs, I want something unique. I already know about and plan to buy Pokemon Art Academy though.
2) No remakes or ports, I already know about most of those.
I really do recommend Bravely Default if you like your JRPGs.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:54 am »

Any games in which you are a trader travelling around, buying resources on the cheap and selling them expensive-like on other places?

I've already tried Elite, Freelancer, Oolite and Mount & Blade (including Warband and many, many mods)

some EV-likes for you:

Endless Sky does a great job of this.  Open Source, and free.

Naev has a little bit of this, there is an economic mod written for an older version that you can get to play a little more with independent-trade rather than mission-based-trade.

Starsector does a not-so-great job, but it is working on expanding its "industry" features so it should be on your watch-list if you like that sort of thing.

Unending Galaxy (not really EV-Like) has trade and empire building.  Most similar to the X series by Egosoft, except 2D and top-down and more.  You can be a merchant, or be a captain of industry, or be a pirate, or be an emperor.  Probably the best of them all feature-wise, but also the clunkiest interface.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 11, 2016, 09:14:59 am »

The various X3s? I recall X3 had dumb NPC traders so it was easier to make money on it than X3:TC and X3:AP, but X3:AP has the most features and actually properly supports gamepads if you want to use one.

OpenTTD? You run a company building train tracks and trains and airports and so forth, so it's not quite what you asked for.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 11, 2016, 09:19:13 am »

There is also Caravaneer and Caravaneer 2.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 11, 2016, 09:36:06 am »

Setting trader networks and eventualy factory complexes is the best way to make money on any X3 game, so ye, there's that.
EV Nova also has it, altough in simpler fashion.
Its also a big thing on mount&blade warband: with fire and sword.

Kenshi also has a trader start, with your own ox to carry the trade goods. The game puts heavy emphasis on travelling around since there's significant distances between each settlement. You can hire people to use as bodyguards or to expand your caravan and make tons of money as a caravan owner, settle somewhere and create a trading outpost, etc. Hope you have a good pc though, since the game is really poorly optimized as of now. Hopefuly it will get better for the release.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 12, 2016, 02:26:37 pm »

There is also Caravaneer and Caravaneer 2.
I'll second that. Caravaneer 2 especially has times when you're heading to unfamiliar new cities and you have to figure out a strategy to survive the trip and still make a profit (Caravaneer 1 was really more about killing off raiders and selling their stuff than anything else in my experience). And you can also set up certain industries in certain cities, and you can have livestock traveling with you that produce various consumable and salable products (I believe goat milk might have been integral to providing nutrition for a certain long route), and, if they are able to breed, they might eventually produce offspring, which you can use to either grow your herd or sell off.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 12, 2016, 02:30:35 pm »

Are there any PC (no emulation, please. My computer can't handle it) games out there, excluding Red Faction, with extensive environmental destruction systems and generally fast paced gameplay? I've always been a big sucker for destruction.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 179